Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man this PDK is humbling...advise for getting the most satisfaction out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
What a great series of comments and thoughts. No one is wrong and everyone right. I choose PDK for multiple reasons not least of which I am a baby boomer that had ALL MT cars for 40 years primarily because the automatics were awful including the Tiptronic but now that has changed in a huge way. All have fun.
+1
Old 01-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
OP i understand your point of view. PDK for me was fun for ~4 days.
After that, i said screw it why bother, leave it a lone. Thankfully it was just a loaner car.
Since then i know a PDK is not for me. Until manual is no longer an option, i will hold out.

Relax people. Don't get all twisted. I'm not saying PDK is not awesome. Just stating it's boring.
Yes something so tribal as manually switching gears is fun. Just like consummating with your SO, which is extremely prehistoric method, is still fun.
If you do not believe something so "manually interactive" , "prehistoric" "triba" is fun, go get in vitro fertilization. Don't waste your time doing it the "manual way".
I'm sure you will have much more success doing it via in vitro fertilization, it's faster and you can concentrate on the next corner of your life and less wear and tear on you and your SO. / joke
All I'd say is not all dct trannies are created equal. And not all pdk either. 991.1rs is first dct transmission I've ever liked.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:13 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Best bet is to drive it in manual mode using the lever and take it to a track. On the street, I can't help you. PDK's and other dual clutches are boring on the street.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I always use the paddles or the shift lever, PDK is a blast IMO. It's fun to think of what it would be like in a 997RS.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:39 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

I suppose it's what you're used to doing. I've had PDK for 4 years now and it feels completely natural to me (sometimes auto and sometimes manually). I bet my great-great grandfather missed turning over his model A by hand and eventually got over that too.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:45 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
All I'd say is not all dct trannies are created equal. And not all pdk either. 991.1rs is first dct transmission I've ever liked.
I am really curious/excited to see if there is a discernible difference in the PDK-S in the .2 GT3 compared with the PDK in my .2 C4, as I am already loving the PDK in the C4.

#savethepdk!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I am really curious/excited to see if there is a discernible difference in the PDK-S in the .2 GT3 compared with the PDK in my .2 C4, as I am already loving the PDK in the C4.

#savethepdk!!!
I can tell you the differences between PDK-S and the PDK in a .1 C4S and it would be interesting to hear if you think they've made any changes in the .2 PDK.

1. No creep in PDK-S
2. PDK-S doesn't upshift at red line in manual mode
3. PDK-S has no kick down button under the gas pedal. Even in manual mode in PDK when you floor it it will downshift. In PDK-S it won't.

I think that's it.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
I can tell you the differences between PDK-S and the PDK in a .1 C4S and it would be interesting to hear if you think they've made any changes in the .2 PDK.

1. No creep in PDK-S
3. PDK-S has no kick down button under the gas pedal. Even in manual mode in PDK when you floor it it will downshift. In PDK-S it won't.

I think that's it.
Also, gear changes are up to 60% faster with PDK-S and ratios are more closely spaced with top speed being achieved in 7th gear, not 6th. IIRC, PDK-S weighs about 4 lbs less than a standard PDK box due to reduced complexity in the gearbox. Oh, and at idle the PDK-S gearbox rattles like a can of ball bearings...
Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have many hours in manuals and love the PDK. I have the .1 and not sure I would get a manual if I were to go to the .2. I drive mine only on the streets and mostly in the mountains. I find it is very easy to change weighting in the car coming in and going out of the corners using the PDK in manual only as I will short shift between turns and use the breaks only as needed. I usually run it about 4 to 7K and on occasion run it on up. I find the real joy is being as smooth as possible constantly shifting weight across all 4 tires accelerating, decelerating and turning left and right keeping the car in a constant state of change. In this case I find I shift more than I would with a manual using short shifting to fluctuate my speed.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:59 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to sell my .1 to get a .2 to get any satisfaction.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:33 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Don't get me wrong, I don't wish I had gotten a manual. I want to experience the PDK. My car is spec'd with 18-way adjustable seats, heated seats, etc. Really loaded up. I plan on using this for longer road trips over the Cascade Mountain Range, etc. and often when we take these trips, traffic in the Seattle area is a pain. Last time I had my C2S manual in traffic, I must have stopped/started a few thousand times in a few hours...total PITA.
I have other 3-pedal cars.
I more just want to know how to fully enjoy the PDK. And chances are, it will never be as satisfying as a true 3-pedal car....not a 3-pedal car that has computer intervention that does throttle blips on downshifts for you...that would drive me crazy and make me feel like a poser. Nothing quite compares to the involvement of driving vintage cars for me and nothing probably ever will.
It's a heck of a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow!
My advice on this exact facet of your post? Race everybody, everywhere, all the time. PDK shines when you drive really hard, or when you need every tenth of a second- so push it out of corners, and drag race every car that looks at you sideways. Get precise with shifting it at the top of the powerband, instead of the top of the rev range. The only other time the PDK is preferable to the stick is when you are in traffic, or starting/ stopping on hills... So, take it to vacation in San Francisco?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:44 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs

1. No creep in PDK-S

I think that's it.
This, but the pdk in my cayman S (981) does not shift at red line, it will bounce off the rev limiter all day long. The PDK-S in the GT3 is more like a manual then the non S version.
The no creep really make the PDK-S more like a manual, if I put the GT3 on the top of my lift, I have to back it in. When backing in, if I lift on the throttle, the car will roll forwards, so it requires dragging the brake a bit and slipping the clutches.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Oh, and at idle the PDK-S gearbox rattles like a can of ball bearings...
I was figuring that was normal, thanks for reaffirming
Old 01-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Does this guy looks like he's bored?????........... Cracks me up every time I come across this video. Genuine reaction we can all empathize with. Min 8:30
Old 01-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Todd B
This, but the pdk in my cayman S (981) does not shift at red line, it will bounce off the rev limiter all day long. The PDK-S in the GT3 is more like a manual then the non S version.
The no creep really make the PDK-S more like a manual, if I put the GT3 on the top of my lift, I have to back it in. When backing in, if I lift on the throttle, the car will roll forwards, so it requires dragging the brake a bit and slipping the clutches.
I don't have a way of testing it at the moment but someone else may be able to attest - is it possible that PDK shifts up even in manual mode if you have your foot to the floor because of activation of the kick down button?

Quick Reply: Man this PDK is humbling...advise for getting the most satisfaction out of it?