Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow stitching

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats Rich. Looks great. Sorry about the mix up. Hopefully cleared up quickly

Tal
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgroer
No pics of the headrests - been curious what comes on them in a car with yellow stitching... Thanks! You are welcome back to smokies any time now that you own a GT car again. Congrats on the car!
Here is a headrest photo. Wish it were in yellow.

With regard to the Smokies, you are most kind, all powerful ruler of the Smokies and the Atlanta political machine...
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I am gobsmacked that 'quality control' would allow the car out of the factory with such a discrepancy in the color of the stitching. I'm sure it'll be fixed 100% to your satisfaction though. And I agree with you on the stitching 'circle' around the dash centre speaker; I mean why bother?

Don't be. Porsche has always been like that.

Up until recently, there are about 2 million and 1 different option boxes to check in order to get deviated stitching for the interior trims, extremely easy to miss a check box or 2 and have a car come out 'wrong'. Very different than just about everyone else where ONE check box is only needed. The most famous missed one? The tiny little trim in front of the gearbox on the centre console in the 997, 9 of 10 customers missed that piece.

I have raised this point with Zuffenhausen many times, their 'defence' was that they are 'flexible', with so many codes it allows customers to be truly 'creative' with customizing their interiors. Riiiiiiiiight. I asked them when is the last time a customer actually ordered a car with deviated stitching but PURPOSELY leaves out a panel or 2. Completely silence.

Starting with 991 they do combine MOST of the codes into one code for deviated stitching, but still there are a few more boxes that could be missed in order to complete the interior.

Those Germans are used to seeing mismatched stitching at quality control, being straight forward Germans they all think the car is ordered that way on purpose.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Picking up my GT3 with yellow stitching at PEC in Atlanta. Stitching looks great but they screwed up dash which has silver. They are going to address the mistake, but it is a bit of a downer. Here is pic of area that has the yellow. Will send more photos later. No stripe on seat!
Sorry to hear. I wonder if the 360 degree configurator view dictates the stitching at the plant since the center dash shows gray/white thread when Sport Chrono option is not selected.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yellow stiching looks so nice! Even with your bad experience on quality control, the 4 parts with the wrong color are all easy to replace.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:30 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a shame! Hopefully you will not enter the club of rattling dash. Car looks great.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Did the steering wheel centre change to yellow come with the yellow sticking or was that an extra cxx option ?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 AM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Well at least the seat stripe was deleted, the parts with silver stitching are easily removed. I ordered yellow stitching and extended dash leather as well, my SA put a comment on the order to hopefully ensure all the stitching is yellow. I has a similar thing happen to my RS as the OP.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
That's a shame! Hopefully you will not enter the club of rattling dash. Car looks great.
Nah, those pieces pop on and off. I’ve literally taken apart my center console to swap the shifter in my 991 and no squeaks or rattles, and that’s far more involved. These cars are pretty modular.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:33 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the car! and as others have said, sorry about the stitching mix up. Couple quick questions if I may. Regarding the seats, did you specifically ask to have the stripe on the seats deleted or did that happen because you ordered yellow stitching? I didn't think a seat stripe delete was even possible. Also, I'm going to do the Atlanta PEC delivery as well and then take it over to Detailed Designs before making the trip back to south jersey. You mentioned they came and picked it up. Was this simply to keep it off the road until it gets protected? or just didn't feel like driving it over there? I was planning on just driving it over there but now you have me thinking. Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 PM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

No, seat stripe delete come automatically, no action needed.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:19 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer a few of the questions - no, I didn't do any cxx options. Everything is yellow except the top of dash and side panels on the dash that you can only see when you open the door. The latter is an easy fix, since they pop right off. I hope they find the colorblind employee. I remember seeing that other post with the same issue earlier in the year, but never suspected it would happen to me as well.

Some other observations from my brief time with the car. I really like the stock wheels. They aren't that shiny, so I'm glad I didn't pay extra to get the matte finish, which always seems more porous to me and harder to keep clean. They should be a nice contrast when I get the stealth wrap on the car. I already added my yellow tape on the steering wheel - wish they would just offer that as an option on the leather wheel. The thickness of the steering wheel was a bit less than I was expecting compared to my .1. Might just be a distorted memory. I was disappointed to see that the center speaker stitching is still a small circle, rather than the entire center panel, as depicted in the configurator. I've asked Porsche to see what they can do about that, given their screw up. If there isn't an option, I may put a stock panel in with no stitching, since I hate the circle. Driving the .2 at PEC was great, but not quite the same as Road Atlanta or VIR. The demo car felt great, with clearly increased midrange torque and less understeer than the last generation. I'm going to try and keep it relatively close to stock for the foreseeable future, since I still haven't locked down what car I want to use as my primary track car.

Here are the next steps for the car. Detailed Designs already picked it up at PEC in their enclosed trailer. They'll have it for two weeks and are delivering it to my All Pro Window Tinting, who will do the clearplex and tint. From there, ACI motorsports will pick it up and install the speed yellow BBi half cage, harnesses, SRF and confirm it has a decent alignment. Hopefully the dash will be in at that point so I can have it addressed at the dealer right after I get the car back. We're going to do a drive down to St Pete for the grand prix, to get some miles on the car, and it should then be ready for its first track event in March.

As many other folks have noted, the PEC experience is first class. Aside from the stitching mix-up, the experience was terrific. My instructor spent the previous evening watching all my track videos so he knew we could dive right in at a decent pace. We had a great time talking track stuff. If you haven't done it, it is worth trying at least once. I got lucky and got my order in while it was still a no-cost option, but it is probably still worth it, even with the extra charge.

Here are some better photos of the car, and a few so-so shots of the stitching issue. Cheers.

Congrats. I'm sure it will be an easy fix. Also, did you do the 12:00 steering wheel marker yourself? Didn't think that was an option on leather steering wheel cars.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Sorry to hear. I wonder if the 360 degree configurator view dictates the stitching at the plant since the center dash shows gray/white thread when Sport Chrono option is not selected.
I checked last night and the 360 configurator shows platinum stitching in upper dash with the sport chrono option selected as well. The non-SC option shows stitching around the whole speaker, rather than just the circle. Bottom line - you really can't trust the configurator. Porsche needs to treat the configurator as another quality control issue that needs to be addressed. Other manufacturers seem to be better at this.

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Did the steering wheel centre change to yellow come with the yellow sticking or was that an extra cxx option ?
That is my cheap DIY yellow tape, not cxx.

Originally Posted by NJRickD
Congrats on the car! and as others have said, sorry about the stitching mix up. Couple quick questions if I may. Regarding the seats, did you specifically ask to have the stripe on the seats deleted or did that happen because you ordered yellow stitching? I didn't think a seat stripe delete was even possible. Also, I'm going to do the Atlanta PEC delivery as well and then take it over to Detailed Designs before making the trip back to south jersey. You mentioned they came and picked it up. Was this simply to keep it off the road until it gets protected? or just didn't feel like driving it over there? I was planning on just driving it over there but now you have me thinking. Thanks
Stripe delete happened due to deviated stitching option, not a special request. I wanted to keep the car off the road until it was wrapped, which is why I had them pick it up. Pickup at PEC is included as part of price for full wrap - they've done several dozen pickups there as this point. I had a buddy who picked up his RS and brought it home on an open trailer. Still hit a rock on the way home that cracked his windshield! Too many bad things can happen on the Atlanta highways.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stripe delete happened due to deviated stitching option, not a special request. I wanted to keep the car off the road until it was wrapped, which is why I had them pick it up. Pickup at PEC is included as part of price for full wrap - they've done several dozen pickups there as this point. I had a buddy who picked up his RS and brought it home on an open trailer. Still hit a rock on the way home that cracked his windshield! Too many bad things can happen on the Atlanta highways.
Excellent, hopefully mine comes in the same way. I very much prefer it without the stripe. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRickD
Excellent, hopefully mine comes in the same way. I very much prefer it without the stripe. Thanks!
If you ordered deviated stitching, you will not get a stripe.

Quick Reply: Yellow stitching