Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone upgraded from 991.1 GTS to 991.1 GT3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Anyone upgraded from 991.1 GTS to 991.1 GT3 ?

I am quite interested in how they compare for drive and performance, the power curves suggest 5,500 and above is where you start the see and feel the extra pull ?

My car has the 20mm lower sports suspension, PDCC and diff set up, the car is a weekend drive only, but 90% on the road (I have yet to do a track day in the GTS)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

I upgraded from a 991.1S to a 991.1 gt3. Night and day difference and completely different cars not just with respect to speed and pull. The CS was my daily driver. Sedan-like comfort, smooth ride, quiet interior. Didn’t feel like a sports car unless I drove it like one. GT3 is faster and more responsove at all rev-ranges but especially after around 5-6K and of course at 7.5-9 is a beast. IMO part of the perceived speed difference is due to pdk-s which is mapped for more agressive driving. I never had an older gen gt3 but the 991.1 gt3 is pretty raw to me. Not totally enjoyable as a daily driver but I use it as a second car if I need it or drive it around town once or twice a week without a problem. Firm ride, road and exhaust noise at all times. Feels like a propper sports car. Makes you want to push it much harder than can be enjoyed on public roads.

991.2 gts is probably much closer to .1gt3 in terms of speed but there is probably a big difference between the .1gts and .1 gt3 as I have heard the .1gts is pretty close to the .1S.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

I am contemplating making this upgrade but from a 991.1 GTS to 991.2 GT3T as I want to stay with the manual tranny. I would be interested to hear from others as well.

Jim
Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Regarding the 991.1S vs GTS I did test drive a 991.1S with PASM and then a GTS with PASM and then bought my car with all the suspension options ticked the sports -20mm, PDCC etc. For me the 991.1S I drove felt more comfortable and less sharp than I was expecting was nice when you drove it hard, but I felt it was a little flat beyond 6,000 reminded me of the old 993 variorum that gave the impression it was just about to open up and really fly, but somehow never did. The GTS with PASM did feel more sporty, it felt sharper and more vocal. It felt and drove better to me, looked great and drove well. I like how the engine delivers the power and the top end feels great. My only real gripe, is it's still a little light on torque and power below 4-5k and then does lovely things to 8k, but after swapping from an M5 with competition pack it just never has that 'oh my god' this car has some grunt feel about it. I wouldn't mind a bit more cabin noise and if it felt a little more track and sense of occasion all the better really. I drive in Sport most of the time and sport plus when not on poor surfaces. I alway drive in 'manual' using the paddles as the lever changes gear the wrong way !
Old 01-06-2018, 04:09 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
Regarding the 991.1S vs GTS I did test drive a 991.1S with PASM and then a GTS with PASM and then bought my car with all the suspension options ticked the sports -20mm, PDCC etc. For me the 991.1S I drove felt more comfortable and less sharp than I was expecting was nice when you drove it hard, but I felt it was a little flat beyond 6,000 reminded me of the old 993 variorum that gave the impression it was just about to open up and really fly, but somehow never did. The GTS with PASM did feel more sporty, it felt sharper and more vocal. It felt and drove better to me, looked great and drove well. I like how the engine delivers the power and the top end feels great. My only real gripe, is it's still a little light on torque and power below 4-5k and then does lovely things to 8k, but after swapping from an M5 with competition pack it just never has that 'oh my god' this car has some grunt feel about it. I wouldn't mind a bit more cabin noise and if it felt a little more track and sense of occasion all the better really. I drive in Sport most of the time and sport plus when not on poor surfaces. I alway drive in 'manual' using the paddles as the lever changes gear the wrong way !
.1gt3 is still a little light on power and torque below 4k. It’s no slouch but its no turbo either. Don’t know if the .2 is much better in that regard (haven’t driven one) - maybe someone else can chime in but I really don’t suspect it is. One of the reasons I like pdk is so I can keep the car up in the power band with much less effort. At the track its really not that much of an issue since you stay in the higer end of power band and on the street its more than fast enough at any RPM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Scottbowling74
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
I am quite interested in how they compare for drive and performance, the power curves suggest 5,500 and above is where you start the see and feel the extra pull ?

My car has the 20mm lower sports suspension, PDCC and diff set up, the car is a weekend drive only, but 90% on the road (I have yet to do a track day in the GTS)
i did exactly this and I can only have a gt3 for the rest of my life. It is night and day for every single aspect
Old 01-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Even if you get a GT3, Hold on to your 991.1 GTS. Sounds like a seeet build. It’s last ever NA flat 6 non-GT3 911. Best regular series 911 ever, except maybe for the 50th Anniversary 911 which is just the same thing with some nicer cosmetic touches and a number plaque.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:33 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32

.1gt3 is still a little light on power and torque below 4k. It’s no slouch but its no turbo either. Don’t know if the .2 is much better in that regard (haven’t driven one) - maybe someone else can chime in but I really don’t suspect it is. One of the reasons I like pdk is so I can keep the car up in the power band with much less effort. At the track its really not that much of an issue since you stay in the higer end of power band and on the street its more than fast enough at any RPM.
This is a big thing I am wondering about in making the switch. Even though the GT3 has 500hp, I think the torque figure is pretty close to the 1.1 GTS.... so, will it feel much faster in non-track driving?

J
Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

yea 991.1 GTS great car really a stellar car to purchase I compared a non PDCC as the PDCC really takes a lot of the feel of the car away. The GT3 will feel much more connected to the road than a GTS with PDCC. The engines are very different with the GT3 really screaming and power up to the 9000 rpm redline and very linear with the GTS being a more conventional power band with ample range on the road only really feeling it on the track. Most people that buy a GT3 really want a .1 GTSThat being said if you drive a GT3 it is very hard to go back to a GTS just isn't the same. I really loved the GTS without the PDCC and 7 speed manual great street car and all anyone needs. I think these cars are going to start to appreciate as the last NA manuals and the new GT3 touring being so limited.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

I had an X51 C2S and made that transition. I wrote an article a few years ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...o-the-gt3.html
Old 01-06-2018, 10:17 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I went from a 991.1 GT3 to a 991.1 GTS, have a dedicated track/race car and enjoy the GTS much more on the road. Would not track the GT3
as others may only have the one car for both purposes. GT3 is special no doubt but the GTS with a third pedal is the sweet spot for me, to each his own.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32

The .2 is much better with the lower end torque than the .1 which is a welcome and well needed. That is some thing they addressed. I had the .1 which traded for a GT4 and now in the .2 Manual. The Manual, I love, because with rev matching it holds your revs so it allows you to spend more time in the higher revs with less effort than a normal manual in their other models. Quite a special car but takes a little time to understand how to exploit it
Old 01-07-2018, 12:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,065 Likes on 5,252 Posts

What makes you think this is an upgrade?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:34 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Thanks all

I guess I can turn the PDCC off and see if I like it without ? I might see if I can get a drive in a GT3, I love my GTS no question. But for me perfection would be losing 200kg (I know, I know not possible) and have a little more edge at the top end, we are always chasing something aren't we !

The other thing I might try is TPC spot controller, just out of curiosity ? (A friend used one on his GT3.1, now sold and really liked it. He tracked his car an awful lot, found it better on both road and track)
Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

The GT3 just plain looks better...

Quick Reply: Anyone upgraded from 991.1 GTS to 991.1 GT3 ?