Sponsored by:

Alignment? rwd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 04:58 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alignment? rwd?

Anyone with a .2 gt3 know if the stock alignment out of the factory needs changes for street or track.

anything special to look out for with rwd alignment? Can any shop do rwd.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:49 AM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes of course any old shop can say they will do it. But why, are you racing it? If not probably don't bother.

if you are racing it then you really should go to a Motorsport shop that actually races GT3's, cups, etc using only the best equipment. I've been to places that say they are the best blah blah and only work on Porsche's but he fact is they don't know unless they personally race these cars.

GT3s use factory coils so you can set the ride height but that impacts geometry, particularly caster dramatically. Car tends to push with a little understeer from the factory alignment which is fine for the street. You can still easily induce oversteer at will. But it can be balanced with much better turn-in / rotation with as little or as much oversteer as you want. But you may need some aftermarket bushings as factory caster is not adjustable (at least not on the .1's). Everything else is adjustable. May take a couple tries to get it exactly how you like as even minor adjustments can have a significant impact.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Anyone with a .2 gt3 know if the stock alignment out of the factory needs changes for street or track.

anything special to look out for with rwd alignment? Can any shop do rwd.
This has been well discussed in great detail throughout the forums. For street nothing needed. For the track basically same changes as for the 991.1 GT3. See Orthojoe's 991 GT3 journal for lots of opinion and great information. Essentially you need to add camber to reduce wear of the outside of the tires. Most shops should be able to get you a mild track alignment which would add camber both front and rear. As you get more serious and add more camber you may also need shims, caster pucks, etc. etc. Please note that there are many, many, many views on this. The amount of info is almost overwhelming. You need to decide how track dedicated your car will be to decide how many changes. For the track some added camber will definitely help you save on tire costs.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I drove a friend’s stock RS with stock alignment on track and it felt great (much better than my GT3 with track alignment ever did), so I’m going to try leaving my .2 alignment closer to stock on track and re-evaluating how much additional wear I’m seeing as a result before I start changing things.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the pointer to Orthojoe's journal, here's the link to one of his post on camber number for a starting reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post11988348
Old 12-24-2017, 06:21 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

One thing to note that may or may not be widespread: Both my buddies .2 gt3 and mine had a slight pull since day 1. I had mine checked at the dealership with 1000 miles on odo and my alignment was indeed off. I hadn’t hit anything and my service advisor said it likely arrived that way. Dealer realigned it to factory spec under warranty

Quick Reply: Alignment? rwd?