Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A drive in the GT3 Touring and Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:24 AM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sweated over this option, then said f**k it, you don’t really need the extra weight and complexity... so slow down over speed bumps, driveway aprons, etc., and sooner or later you will still scrape the front apron... c’est la vie!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 AM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by evilfij

I specced my own car so I did not pile on the tab with stuff I don’t want. :-)

Still sort of upset I paid for the FAL. Lol.
.... ayaiyai!... did it again!... FAL is good if you are driving on rocky roads to a farm, or remote mountain cabin... then you should be in your vw microbus or squareback!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I went standard interior too, by the numbers of Cam and Loess's data we are in the minority. Plenty happy with the standard interior on my .2 C4 and less maintenance as the top of my door gets hit with rain, dust, debris etc with my C4 as my daily driver. Most here validly argue leather is a must for a car that is topping $160k regularly, but ignorance is bliss for me!
I feel pretty good about going with the standard interior. Fo me, it fits the Touring, plus, I'd rather put my money toward performance parts. If I feel the need for leather/luxury, I'll drive my Audi.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:55 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stout
It had lightweight buckets. I'd have mine with 4-way Sport Seat Plus. Today really drilled something into me that I've been feeling for a while now: As much as I love the look, sense of occasion, and connected-ness of the shell buckets, and as well as they clamp my hips in place and as comfortable as I find them (no aches after nine hard hours), they allow my upper torso to slide around too much. If I am going to be in a shell bucket, I want to be clamped in. Unless I needed the holes for harnesses, I'd skip the (no so lightweight) LWBS for 4WSS+. Unless there is a half cage back there, I also want access to the 991s' cavernous rear interior area...I could travel for weeks at a time in a GT3 even with hard luggage so long as the seatbacks fold. With the fixed buckets, soft luggage works but is a pain. I made this call in my GT4 at the last minute—which doesn't include the rear interior access issue—and went 4WSS+ and have never, not once, regretted it. YMMV, of course.

I really don't like 18-ways at all. Bizarrely, I get sore in them pretty quickly. I asked a Porsche seat engineer how in the world that could be, and he noted that all those motors mean less padding. But my co-driver, who had back surgery 10 years ago, loves his 18WS and wasn't loving the buckets towards the end of today. So this remains a personal thing that I am not sure anyone can answer for you.
Agree completely!!!! I'm 6.0", 200 Lbs. Had LWBS in my 991 GT3RS, 18 Ways in my 991 TTS, 14 Ways in my Panamera S, and Std 4 Ways in my 991 GT3-1. After 24K GT3 Miles, I find the Standard 4 Ways in my GT3 were by far the most comfortable for really long drives and adequate for Track use. Their are FAR better buckets for Track use than Porsche's LWBS. Although the LWBS are gorgeous looking, IMHO, they are not as convenient to get into or out of, not as comfortable to sit in for long periods and not worth losing the convenience of Folding Backs for rear Luggage access and varying Back Seat angles on long drives. Many Thanks for your posts Pete. Really appreciative you sacrificed some needed sleep to write and send to us. As usual, they are super informative!!!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Agree completely!!!! I'm 6.0", 200 Lbs. Had LWBS in my 991 GT3RS, 18 Ways in my 991 TTS, 14 Ways in my Panamera S, and Std 4 Ways in my 991 GT3-1. After 24K GT3 Miles, I find the Standard 4 Ways in my GT3 were by far the most comfortable for really long drives and adequate for Track use. Their are FAR better buckets for Track use than Porsche's LWBS. Although the LWBS are gorgeous looking, IMHO, they are not as convenient to get into or out of, not as comfortable to sit in for long periods and not worth losing the convenience of Folding Backs for rear Luggage access and varying Back Seat angles on long drives. Many Thanks for your posts Pete. Really appreciative you sacrificed some needed sleep to write and send to us. As usual, they are super informative!!!!!
I concur with you both, gentlemen. I have the LWBS in my 981 Spyder, and find them cumbersome for daily use as a roadster. My 997.1 C2S
(short-throw 6-speed With X51) has the sport seats with the height adjustment lever on the side, with power for the seat rake only, and I find these
terrific for both grip and comfort.
So, I did not hesitate when ordering my GT3 Touring (April delivery) with the SS+ seats. If I were interested in a Carrera T, I would do the same, and be happy to have the back seats!
Thank you, Pete, for your excellent reporting on your southern France adventure; your words brought us along for the ride!

A Happy New Year to all!

Claudio
Old 01-01-2018, 05:41 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris3963
... I note that not one Touring had the "touring in black" package. i.e. all have the chrome lettering and window trim which, in the photos, really suits the car. I went for black to match my 964 RS. Hope I don't regret it.
I'm in the same boat with the black accents. Going for a 'contemporary vintage look'.

Regarding seats I kept the base ones and am looking to swap the left one only for a folding bucket. (have the LWBS in my GT4)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by DuckieRS
I'm in the same boat with the black accents. Going for a 'contemporary vintage look'.

Regarding seats I kept the base ones and am looking to swap the left one only for a folding bucket. (have the LWBS in my GT4)
Well it won't be long before I find out for sure. Car exits factory January 9th (a week earlier than I expected). Sadly I have to head oversees on Jan 8th and won't be beck until Feb 1st to pick it up. Looking forward to a track day in Feb with my PDK GT3.2 and manual Touring to see how they compare.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:11 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Thank you so much. The extra photos posted are terrific.

May I ask, where is this road? I plan to do European delivery in May and would love to know some of your recommendations

Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Where is this road??

Thank you
Old 01-07-2018, 07:10 AM
steffenb123
AutoX

Top Gear video of this: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...vs-gt3-touring
Old 01-07-2018, 08:53 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steffenb123
Thanks for posting! i've been waiting for a video review of that event
Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 000
I'd be right there with you. I thought I was a bit over silver modern Porsches, until I saw a GT Silver GT3 on satin aluminum wheels and PCCB last summer. It just looked gemlike. So it would be that or a dark GT3 Touring. Until last week, the winged car was my pick. Now, I'd probably go 500E/E500. YMMV, but I bet you will get that allocation if you hang in there...just as so many who wanted GT4s eventually got them.
You were right. Got an allocation earlier in the week for Sept. Apparently the last or one of the last for Canada.
I'm on the fence ... wing ... Touring ... I like the leather interior in the Touring better and the car will be a street car. Just wished the color palette was better/wider.
Now to drive myself nuts until I have to lock.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 AM
520matt
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@crazy canuck. What color choices are availble?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 520matt
@crazy canuck. What color choices are availble?
Same as regular GT3. The car looks great in darker colors but no greens. No dark blue.
Paint to Sample is closed at present although I have my fingers crossed.
Sapphire is looking good in the photos though.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 AM
Porscherobert
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is not may reviews of the touring package GT3.

Quick Reply: A drive in the GT3 Touring and Carrera T