Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A drive in the GT3 Touring and Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking forward to your impressions Pete.

I too am interested in any suspension or other chassis tuning differences between the GT3 with wing and the GT3T.

Also any other overall differences between the cars which have not made it into the official press releases.

Take as many photos as you can!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:44 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you let us know the date and venue of this launch event?
Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 AM
Volk53
8th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Can you explain Volk53?
Hi Bruce R,
Every mobile device has so much more to offer than Satellite Radio. There are tons of apps for podcast and live radio streaming. Check out “Radio.garden” ...(data plans will allow more streaming) with the convenience that you can listen to whatever you like and not only in your car. And now Apple Carplay makes it more attractive than ever to use your mobile device in your car for streaming.
In the US, prices for SiriusXM are now as low as ever in years ($5/month) to get new costumers or to retain old ones. Pandora Media Inc. new management team is tackling two pressing issues: “Stabilizing the user base and declines in ad hours and investing in the necessary technologies to improve the business”. (Benzinga.com)
In Canada it is still between $16-22/month + additional fees and for me not attractive at all.
Besides, satellite reception in cities has its challenges unless there are terrestrial antennas.
If someone likes it, then it should be an audio option as it used to be. Why try to promote with a gimmicky trial period, a service most people don’t subscribe to anyway!
Porsche should save the money for the satelite antenna and give me something more useful. How about a club sport package? LOL.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:49 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Pete might be sworn to secrecy as he is attending but my ‘guess’ would be that the event is in the south of France. I heard from a friend that it would be taking place as an event to celebrate the historic Monte Carlo rally with Porsche’s understated and ‘back to basics’ Carrera T and GT3 Touring showcasing this.

Thanks Pete for offering the chance for us to get some more info and get clarify on some of the facts and figures. Lots of pictures would be awesome too.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:21 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I found some new fotos of a black touring. Could have been taken at the occasion of the launch event. Seems to be in a mediterranean setting. Southern France sounds credible.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Huh? Grey/silver rear diffusor? Did we see that before? Is it connected to the chrome exterior package?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Huh? Grey/silver rear diffusor? Did we see that before? Is it connected to the chrome exterior package?
Good spot, thats not a good look.

I dont think its part of the silver package though - remember the press release photos of the black one with silver. Diffuser is black here:

Name:  ySQlVIM.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  52.5 KB
Old 12-13-2017, 06:22 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
The silver you can see is just the sunshine bouncing off the Matt black trim on the rear of the car. You can see the same on the side trim in the other shots.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Greetings from a snowy Amsterdam. Not sure I'm supposed to divulge location of test before I arrive there, but it looks like two days of driving on good roads.

Great questions above, and will endeavor to find some answers to them.

For those with eyes on the Carrera T, I recently moved from 20~ months in a GT4 to a base Carrera MT because I needed back seats, so I am particularly interested in the T. Just got back from two long trips in the car, which were a great refresher on the Tenerife 991.2 launch where I was surprised by how fast, alert, and alive the .2 Carrera was. I almost canceled my order for a GT4. While I am glad I didn't, I have to say the 370-horse engine is, in its own way, one of the real gems when it comes to Porsche engines of the last 20 years. NA-only people won't be interested (just as some convertible advocates aren't into coupes and MT people aren't into PDK), but I'd put it up there with some seriously wonderful Porsche engines of the last 20 years on character as well as useful and enjoyable power. As for the Touring, I drove a .2 GT3 MT extensively last summer for a 000 article on that car and the 991.1R—so the Touring may be (largely) more of the same. But Porsche engineers occasionally have a surprise up their sleeves and it's funny how small differences can make for big changes in the experience. Those cars don't come along all that often, but the 987.2 Boxster Spyder is one of those cars that surprised me, so I'll be curious to see what these 911s are like.

I'll do my best to find wi-fi here and there and update this thread, but I'll be "off your clock," and so the real discussion may occur when I get back to the States and have had some time to mull the experience.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 12-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Confirm or not whether the front spoiler is smaller on the touring.

Compare the downforce of the wing v. the flap on the touring (trap times and vmax imply higher drag on the touring, but no Porsche mention of downforce).

How the amount of sound deadening compares between the various models (e.g. whether the touring is the same as the GT3 wing, GT3 compared to R, T compared to GTS).

Confirm the steeper gearing on the 911T is simply the S gear ratio.

Thanks!

PS Hint to porsche they should allow leather to sample on the next GT car or late GT3. :-)
+1 for these questions. its always interesting to appreciate the differences and nuisances .
Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the T vs. C2. Try to keep us updated if possible please!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Ask why they don't offer a ducktail option. And while you're at it maybe you could ask when they're going to build a proper 964-size 911 with a real 911 interior so we can all stop lusting after a Singer that the majority of us could never hope to own.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob

Nope, my bad, there is no optional powerkit for the Carrera T. It's a straight twin turbo charged 3.0l pushing out 370HP!
But replace the smaller turbos on the T with those on the GTS and GTS mapping, now that is something interesting................450hp and 405ft-lb, or tune to even higher..............
Old 12-13-2017, 12:22 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

I would be interested in a GT4 v 911T contrast. (I know apples to oranges). Also any discussion with engineers about running the T on track for a typical track day... let's say 5 sessions throughout a day with 25 min sessions.

I recently moved from a GT4 to a 997.2 GT3. I miss the perfectly dialed suspension of the GT4, and honestly I'm not enough of a track rat to justify the GT3 being my main "fun" car.

I'm very interested in the T. Also if you overhear anything about the next gen GT4 engine from a cleaning lady let us know haha.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Pete,
Ask about additional allocations for Canada. Namely for me.

Quick Reply: A drive in the GT3 Touring and Carrera T