Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:43 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I have been researching which exhaust to get for over a year in anticipation of my .2 GT3.
Best sounding exhausts for the GT3/RS/R imo are:

In order:
1. IPE - Closest to an F1/Ferrari pitch sound. Various opinions on quality, some love it, some hate it. Full system supposedly loses power but the catback is fine. Gets ride of side muffler, so more weight savings than a bypass, especially in titanium.
2. CMS/GR/BBI - All 3 have the same X-pipe design - sound great. GR/BBI have separate tips, best overall design and sound for a bypass.
3. Dundon Race headers - Best performance and hp gains. Good sound but not as good as 1-3. Great customer service, but pricey.
4. Fabspeed Race headers - Well known for their quality and customer service on the forum JK. Quality and customer service have been questionable. Definitely have power gains and great design on paper. Good sound. Reasonably priced for headers.
5. GMG, Sharkwers - Well known on the forum and good customer service. More of a lower pitched tone, less F1 like. The traditional bypass that has been around awhile.

Any thoughts on AWE switchpath? I put it on my new gt3 and I think it sounds great. I had sharkwerks on my 991.1 gt3 but I feel the awe is more complete, adds horsepower, drops weight, and sounds better. Wasn't that much harder to install either and is more then bypass.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:53 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
Any thoughts on AWE switchpath? I put it on my new gt3 and I think it sounds great. I had sharkwerks on my 991.1 gt3 but I feel the awe is more complete, adds horsepower, drops weight, and sounds better. Wasn't that much harder to install either and is more then bypass.
The AWE switchpath is a similar design to Sharkwerks and GMG at the center muffler section, the pipes are joined by a middle pipe and not an X-pipe design. AWE however includes side muffler bypasses with valves, unlike the sharkwerks and gmg. This allows the exhaust to have a quiet mode like the IPE. Overall the sound is a little more of a lower pitched tone to the IPE, BBI/GR/CMS.

Last edited by drdonger; 12-01-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
I agree that it would help the look. We could refinish the bolts & clamps to black locally if it was a deal breaker for the customer.

9 times out of 10 a customer will purchase the full system. The other 10% usually goes on to modify the rest of the system with a different brand depending on whatever combo they believe works best.
Can you tell us a little bit about what you think the pros and cons are of your cat back versus full system?
Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can you tell us a little bit about what you think the pros and cons are of your cat back versus full system?
I like the Titanium Cat back option but if I were going to add headers w/ catts I think, for that part, there are some other headers I prefer just from experience/familiarity with those Mfgs. So I would mix and match a little
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

I have been researching which exhaust to get for over a year in anticipation of my .2 GT3.
Best sounding exhausts for the GT3/RS/R imo are:

In order:
1. IPE - Closest to an F1/Ferrari pitch sound. Various opinions on quality, some love it, some hate it. Full system supposedly loses power but the catback is fine. Gets ride of side muffler, so more weight savings than a bypass, especially in titanium.
2. CMS/GR/BBI - All 3 have the same X-pipe design - sound great. GR/BBI have separate tips, best overall design and sound for a bypass.
3. Dundon Race headers - Best performance and hp gains. Good sound but not as good as 1-3. Great customer service, but pricey.
4. Fabspeed Race headers - Well known for their quality and customer service on the forum JK. Quality and customer service have been questionable. Definitely have power gains and great design on paper. Good sound. Reasonably priced for headers.
5. GMG, Sharkwers - Well known on the forum and good customer service. More of a lower pitched tone, less F1 like. The traditional bypass that has been around awhile.
Very concise and well said. This is helpful and matches my research. The only think that doesn’t match is that IPE claim to make decent gains with their full system. Has this been proven false?

Originally Posted by WheelsB
I agree that it would help the look. We could refinish the bolts & clamps to black locally if it was a deal breaker for the customer.

9 times out of 10 a customer will purchase the full system. The other 10% usually goes on to modify the rest of the system with a different brand depending on whatever combo they believe works best.
Has anyone verified the claimed performance gains from the IPE website?

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I like the Titanium Cat back option but if I were going to add headers w/ catts I think, for that part, there are some other headers I prefer just from experience/familiarity with those Mfgs. So I would mix and match a little
Could a person go for say Dundon headers with the IPE Titanium Catback? Power gains and great sound?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:34 PM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts
Default https://youtu.be/spoDs3TwaBI

Video clip of my Dundon race headers couldnt be happier. I'm from Taiwan and would not put a Taiwanese brand exhaust on my RS but hey that's just me lol. You definitely feel the extra power with this setup

Old 12-01-2017, 10:25 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Very concise and well said. This is helpful and matches my research. The only think that doesn’t match is that IPE claim to make decent gains with their full system. Has this been proven false?

Has anyone verified the claimed performance gains from the IPE website?

Could a person go for say Dundon headers with the IPE Titanium Catback? Power gains and great sound?
No one has substantiated the IPE gains of the full system yet. I might purchase BBI/GR and the IPE titanium Carback and do a duno comparsion. Then sell whichever one I don’t like.

You cannot do Dundon headers with IPE catback because the dundon system has two pipes at the end and the IPE catback only accepts one.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Could a person go for say Dundon headers with the IPE Titanium Catback? Power gains and great sound?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely and not a bad route. Dundon headers are up there with the best of them like FVD, Cargraphic, GMG, ect
Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Absolutely and not a bad route. Dundon headers are up there with the best of them like FVD, Cargraphic, GMG, ect[/QUOTE]

I like where your head is at. I love my BBi bypass to drop 45lbs from the rear but I want something catback in Titanium. I am planning to hit up BBi about this to see if they could do something so I save more weight a get a higher pitch possibly in the upper revs.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

So which vendor going to read this thread and start a GB and offer us a great deal on one of these systems ????!!!!!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Alright...I guess I'll chime in here as I had 12 different variants of exhausts on my 991.1 GT3. When I first got my car, the iPE was the only option outside of two bypasses, GMG and Sharkwerks. I came from a 991.1 C2S that didn't have to goofy valve transition that the GT3 has. I wanted to press the button and have the valves open. Press it again and have them close. Or...even better, just get rid of the valves all together. After spending a little time discussing iPE and then seeing and inspecting it in person, I came to the conclusion that it is not good. FI, Armytrix, iPE are all in the same marketing company category (aka junk). In the 3 1/2 years the thing has been out, I've yet to see a single dyno plot outside of their original site showing a 40whp loss in the lower RPM range. If you gave me one, I wouldn't take it. Zero testing, all marketing. YouTube is a powerful thing. We can only hope the success of these brands will lead to make some legitimate products in the future.

Akra is a work of art, but doesn't do much. The full Akra Evolution system is a really expensive, $11,000, copy of the stock exhaust, so that doesn't make much sense to me. I've spent about 5 hours on backroads behind the wheel of and Akra equipped car. No power, slightly lighter weight, very slight difference in sound, and a crap load of money is not for me. You could do the race version deleting the side mufflers, but that drones a crap load.

The bypasses, Sharkwerks, RSS, GMG, etc. with or without the valves connected are a solid option. ***You must remember that pressing the valve button doesn't do much other than closing the valves at idle.*** On or off it operates identically once you press the gas. That's the advantage of iPE with the remote option. You have the ability to open the valves and leave them open. Other exhausts don't have that option. Stock, with the button on, the valves close again and then reopen depending on throttle around 3700 RPMs.

I tested a bunch of iterations with FVD Brombacher. Their manufacturer M&M made 3 different iterations to try, but they all failed. They really didn't test anything, they just made it based on their 997 experience. I had eventually settle on the GMG with the valves disconnected. Many thought the car would lose low end power without the valves. I tested and retested on the dyno and proved the valves actually caused us to lose low end power. I came to the conclusion the valves are simply there for drone reduction.

So onto the most viable solution in my book, Dundon. I had a 2 hour conversation with Charles Dundon (he's a mad scientist) that I didn't want to have. I was on my 11th exhaust variant at that point and had finally settled on GMG bypass. I took a flyer on the very expensive option due to one simple fact. They had done hundreds (yes...hundreds) of dyno runs and massive calculating/testing that no one else had done and probably still hasn't. Dundon uses T321 stainless instead of much cheaper T304. Race headers are catless, so I wouldn't do that if I lived in an emissions testing state, but I made +55whp without tune and a little over +70whp with it. The plots they use are a bit conservative in comparison to my findings. My 2014 E series engine equipped car walked away from a '16 F series GT3RS. Due to their O2 sensor extension design, you don't need a tune. I won't be doing a tune on my RS as I find it unnessary. Catted will make less power, but save you headaches if you have to have your car inspected or don't like your car to smell.

So GMG bypass for cost and simplicity.
Or Dundon if you want the best.

Anyway, that's my 100 or so hours of trial and error testing process in my pursuit in finding the best exhaust. My newly acquired RS is awaiting new Dundon center section in order to install the full exhaust at once.
The following users liked this post:
MarkTbone (10-03-2020)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Absolutely and not a bad route. Dundon headers are up there with the best of them like FVD, Cargraphic, GMG, ect
Remember that Titanium has a different resonant frequency. I think Ti is a bad material for an exhaust if you care about sound.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

No one has substantiated the IPE gains of the full system yet. I might purchase BBI/GR and the IPE titanium Carback and do a duno comparsion. Then sell whichever one I don’t like.

You cannot do Dundon headers with IPE catback because the dundon system has two pipes at the end and the IPE catback only accepts one.
Good to know... Thanks

you are very well informed Doc

Absolutely and not a bad route. Dundon headers are up there with the best of them like FVD, Cargraphic, GMG, ect[/QUOTE]

Jimmy-D your stealth mobile with that sound is a killer combo!

shame we can’t go Dundon and IPE

Originally Posted by STALKER99
So which vendor going to read this thread and start a GB and offer us a great deal on one of these systems ????!!!!!
Glad someone said it!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Money2536
Remember that Titanium has a different resonant frequency. I think Ti is a bad material for an exhaust if you care about sound.
Matt,

Noted on the Titanium = Bad sound

in your video review you mentioned you found the IPE goofy. Can you clarify please?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Matt,

Noted on the Titanium = Bad sound

in your video review you mentioned you found the IPE goofy. Can you clarify please?
iPE is super shady. They have ruined it for a lot of people by making fake profiles and sharing douchey videos on here and 6 speed. I think I know why they don't ever have any tests of their exhaust. The people that buy them don't care and it most likely loses power. If I had bought one, I certainly would have tested it. But... like other have stated, it's not like the car needs more power, but I'd rather not spend $5000 and lose a bunch. I said earlier, the resources they now have will hopefully move them to invest in real engineering in Taiwan.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3