Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 05:44 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by easy888
IPE system does not drone. Not even in the lower ranges. And it screams like no other in the upper. Unless for some reason each individuals ears hear sound frequency differently.

I have the full system and couldn't be happier. Agree with the sentiment that the car is fast enough, to the degree that even altering the pitch/sound of the exhaust without any gains in power
is satisfactory. But to each their own. Some demand that power be increased with an exhaust swap.
Can you clarify how long you have had the exhaust system? And negatives in your opinion? Did you go valvetronic and titanium or stainless? Tell us more please.

The sound is undeniably good.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
iA-R (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

Holy crap, that Rahal Performance bypass exhaust sounds freaking awesome! Getting it put on my GT3.2 soon, so I will be able to comment upon personal experience in near future. It sounded amazing on his R.

On side note, despite what others are saying about this car being so loud...i disagree, I was frankly underwhelmed given what folks here were saying. I have always put bypass exhausts on my GT cars, perhaps I am just used to the sound with these in place.. IMHO It truly needs at least a bypass to give it louder growl, especially at lower RPMs. Tire noise on the .2 is definitely louder.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

It was my understanding only the full Dundon system gave power gains.

IPE claim to make gains on their website. Has anyone here done a dyno after installing this system?
http://www.ipe-f1.com/index.php/en-G...991-gt3-gt3-rs
Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
The 991.2 sounds really good stock. I would like a little more volume without the whole headers hassle, reversible, and lowest cost. Soul Performance Center Muffler is a clear winner. Installation DIY and vids soon.

https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...ypass-exhaust/

$760 USD list price.
It does not connect and have the x-pipe design like CMS/BBI/GR or IPE. Therefore it won’t sound as good. Great price though. For those on a budget this is a good one.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
It does not connect and have the x-pipe design like CMS/BBI/GR or IPE. Therefore it won’t sound as good. Great price though. For those on a budget this is a good one.
Looking at the photos again, they're connected unlike Graham Rahal. So Soul does have an x-pipe design similar to premium brands.

Last edited by Jnosol; 12-01-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Best exhaust? Stock exhaust FTW.

akrapovic FTW
Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

just get a GMG and call it a day. sounds good, quality is great, good customer service, priced fairly, and almost everyone on RL is satisfied with their products. don't over-think it lol
Old 12-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ And if you do not like it you can sell it quickly here on Rennlist for a small disconut.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:21 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Looking at the photos again, they're connected unlike Graham Rahal. So Soul does have an x-pipe design similar to premium brands.

It isn't connected like an X-pipe. It is connected in the rear, so it won't have the pulsating scavenger affect of the X-pipe that creates a certain sound.

Here is a video showing what I mean.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:05 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

I have been researching which exhaust to get for over a year in anticipation of my .2 GT3.
Best sounding exhausts for the GT3/RS/R imo are:

In order:
1. IPE - Closest to an F1/Ferrari pitch sound. Various opinions on quality, some love it, some hate it. Full system supposedly loses power but the catback is fine. Gets ride of side muffler, so more weight savings than a bypass, especially in titanium.
2. CMS/GR/BBI - All 3 have the same X-pipe design - sound great. GR/BBI have separate tips, best overall design and sound for a bypass.
3. Dundon Race headers - Best performance and hp gains. Good sound but not as good as 1-3. Great customer service, but pricey.
4. Fabspeed Race headers - Well known for their quality and customer service on the forum JK. Quality and customer service have been questionable. Definitely have power gains and great design on paper. Good sound. Reasonably priced for headers.
5. GMG, Sharkwers - Well known on the forum and good customer service. More of a lower pitched tone, less F1 like. The traditional bypass that has been around awhile.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

I have been researching which exhaust to get for over a year in anticipation of my .2 GT3.
Best sounding exhausts for the GT3/RS/R imo are:
What about RSS?

It would be great if there was empirical data for each one of the exhausts/bypasses in a comparative table, rather than opinion. Some videos make one bypass sound best, other videos make another bypass sound best.
- Weight
- Cost
- DB at cruising speed
- Drone (must be a way to measure frequencies and reverb)
- Dimensions/Design (true X-pipe, etc.)
- DB at WOT

-
Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mass27
What about RSS?

It would be great if there was empirical data for each one of the exhausts/bypasses in a comparative table, rather than opinion. Some videos make one bypass sound best, other videos make another bypass sound best.
- Weight
- Cost
- DB at cruising speed
- Drone (must be a way to measure frequencies and reverb)
- Dimensions/Design (true X-pipe, etc.)
- DB at WOT

-
RSS is similar to BBI/GR and CMS, but it doesn't taper and the pipes are smaller. I would say somewhere in between BBI/GR/CMS and Sharkwerks/GMG.
I think for bypasses, the price and weight are all pretty similar. It will boil down to either being an x-pipe design or not and the tone of the exhaust. The only exhausts that will significantly shed weight are ones that get rid of the side pipes.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:19 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Just a couple of points to make while I follow along on the thread.

The reason that iPE clamps the tips to the exhaust rather than welding is because they wanted to give customers the freedom to choice what tips they want. They offer polished, titanium, carbon, and matte black.

I have not had a customer come back to me complaining about any drone issues. I have an entire group of guys in Brasil that have been using the iPE exhaust for their Porsche race series down there for a couple of years now. Admittedly some of the guys there are extremely critical when it comes to the aftermarket exhausts. Rather than receiving negative reviews on the iPE's that I send down there I have had nothing but more and more purchases.

Also on a smaller note - FI is not a sister brand to iPE. A couple of sales employees who formerly worked at iPE USA moved to FI but that's the only connection they share.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 12-01-2017, 03:23 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WheelsB
Just a couple of points to make while I follow along on the thread.

The reason that iPE clamps the tips to the exhaust rather than welding is because they wanted to give customers the freedom to choice what tips they want. They offer polished, titanium, carbon, and matte black.

I have not had a customer come back to me complaining about any drone issues. I have an entire group of guys in Brasil that have been using the iPE exhaust for their Porsche race series down there for a couple of years now. Admittedly some of the guys there are extremely critical when it comes to the aftermarket exhausts. Rather than receiving negative reviews on the iPE's that I send down there I have had nothing but more and more purchases.

Also on a smaller note - FI is not a sister brand to iPE. A couple of sales employees who formerly worked at iPE USA moved to FI but that's the only connection they share.

Anyway we can get black bolts and clamps instead of stainless ones? I think this will help with the look. Do most of your customers get the catback or full system? Do you have more videos of just the catback system? Thanks

Last edited by drdonger; 12-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:06 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Anyway we can get black bolts and clamps instead of stainless ones? I think this will help with the look. Do most of your customers get the catback or full system? Do you have more videos of just the catback system? Thanks
I agree that it would help the look. We could refinish the bolts & clamps to black locally if it was a deal breaker for the customer.

9 times out of 10 a customer will purchase the full system. The other 10% usually goes on to modify the rest of the system with a different brand depending on whatever combo they believe works best.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3