Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is best colour considering all the CF on the car.
White
17.91%
Black
34.33%
GT Silver
47.76%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

991 GT2 RS with WP - Finalising my spec for Jan delivery

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:31 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default 991 GT2 RS with WP - Finalising my spec for Jan delivery

Hi All,

Monday I am specifying my build with my dealer for Jan delivery. I had narrowed my colour choice down to 3 colours:
1) white
2) black
3) silver

I will opt for WP with the light gold coloured wheels irrespective of the colour selection.

Here are some points for consideration:
- My dealer advised against white and that was my first choice. Didn’t give a reason why. Panda look most likely.
- I have always purchased black cars, but I am worried all the beautiful cf will be hidden against gloss black.
- I have never loved silver or wanted a silver car but the launch car looked good in the flesh.

This is my first GT car and I could really use some help and have some questions from some of veterans here.

Exterior Questions:
- if I go white or silver is the black pdls a good look? Should I still go black
PDLS if car is black?

- will a black exterior hide the cf and make the car look more like a standard 911? I have never even seen a black or dark coloured GT3 RS so hard for me to tell. I can’t even find pics online.

- I wanted to have the rear bumper painted to match. Is this a bad idea? If this was left unpainted by Porsche due to stone chips etc on the track can’t I get a protective film put on?

Interior Questions:
- there are two red interior options and one with extra cost. Anyone know the difference and if one is considered the “must have”? I wanted to go full leather Alcantara everywhere with red Alcantara. No plastic

- dials in red too much? Some people mentioned this on another post. If so would you leave them stock or go white?

- steering wheel marking in red? Or leave it yellow (only thing in yellow)?

- if going with red Alcantara interior would guards red ac vents look nice or too over the top? I think too much but wanted to ask.

Other Questions:
- in the UK there does not appear to be the option for an extended fuel tank. Does this come standard or could it still be requested?

Thanks for reading the above and giving me your thoughts. The dealer will help but I wanted the opinion of actual owners with experience behind the wheels of many 911s. As soon as I take delivery I will post some awesome pics and vids!

My current build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2HFNK0
Attached Images            

Last edited by BrntRubber; 11-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

- My dealer advised against white and that was my first choice. Didn’t give a reason why. Panda look most likely.
A white car with pinkish gold wheels conveys a very feminine preference. It could be your dealer was trying to steer you away from that look, which, if he was, I agree with.

- I have always purchased black cars, but I am worried all the beautiful cf will be hidden against gloss black.
This is, IMO, what you should get because it's the only one of the three you seem to love. It's so important to buy a car that you love to look at all the time. As far as hiding the carbon fiber goes, regardless of the color of the car, how many people are going to recognize that stripe (or whatever) is actually carbon fiber rather than concluding it's some oddball paint job? I bet you can count them all using your hands and toes.

For reasons stated earlier, the only visual problem you have is the pinkish gold wheels. King Kong would not approve, I'm sure.

- I have never loved silver or wanted a silver car but the launch car looked good in the flesh.
This is the one to stay away from. "Looked good" isn't the same as "love it!"

Dials white. Red vents are, as you say, over the top. Stripe leave yellow for a small, but appealing, touch.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:13 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Just came across this vid:

Red dials are out... dodged a bullet! Car sounds amazing in the vid by the way.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:19 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fuddman
A white car with pinkish gold wheels conveys a very feminine preference. It could be your dealer was trying to steer you away from that look, which, if he was, I agree with.

This is, IMO, what you should get because it's the only one of the three you seem to love. It's so important to buy a car that you love to look at all the time. As far as hiding the carbon fiber goes, regardless of the color of the car, how many people are going to recognize that stripe (or whatever) is actually carbon fiber rather than concluding it's some oddball paint job? I bet you can count them all using your hands and toes.

For reasons stated earlier, the only visual problem you have is the pinkish gold wheels. King Kong would not approve, I'm sure.

This is the one to stay away from. "Looked good" isn't the same as "love it!"

Dials white. Red vents are, as you say, over the top. Stripe leave yellow for a small, but appealing, touch.

Good luck with it.
White exterior is out... good advice

Red dials are out... good advice

Red vents out... good advice

Stripe remains yellow

Regarding the cf contrast, it isn’t about other people knowing it’s cf, it’s that I love the cf stripes and accents. I don’t want it to look like a 3RS or any other 911 from a distance.

Silver or Black... your comments made it neck and neck now. Some solid logical advice.

Thank you
Old 11-11-2017, 05:35 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

White exterior is out... good advice

Red dials are out... good advice

Red vents out... good advice

Stripe remains yellow

Regarding the cf contrast, it isn’t about other people knowing it’s cf, it’s that I love the cf stripes and accents. I don’t want it to look like a 3RS or any other 911 from a distance.

Silver or Black... your comments made it neck and neck now. Some solid logical advice.

Thank you
I personally would get the black one, it doesn’t translate well in pictures because you can’t see the contrast but it’s gonna be gorgeous in person. GT Silver is a classic.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 PM
SEB74
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Just look that, this car must be aggressive, the car of Satan in person so exterior red or black all the other color is for lady and this is it
Old 11-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

This would be my choice.

With crazy 'Bordello of Blood' interior.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:26 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I actually would NOT get a black one. The large openings in the sides, front bumper corners, chin spoilers, etc all get completely lost in black. The front end looks like a large snow blade.

Hard to beat the launch color scheme of GT Silver. That red one is damn cool too!
Old 11-11-2017, 07:33 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With the most respect possible....who cares what we think? It’s your car and your color, and you won’t see much of exterior color from drivers seat. My 2 cents is go light color vs black but I track my cars so I spec’d mine in silver with WP already. Hopefully regardless of ext color you drive the **** out of it. Good luck you will love it.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:31 AM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Henry Ford once said, "You can have any color...as long as it is black." I think black looks incredible, but GT Silver is my second choice.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I’d have black. And I would do painted vent slats in black to get rid of the last bit of silver trim (the vent casings are covered in leather with painted vent slats).
Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I personally would get the black one, it doesn’t translate well in pictures because you can’t see the contrast but it’s gonna be gorgeous in person. GT Silver is a classic.
I am flipping back and forth like a fish. Seeing a black one in the flesh would make this easy.

Originally Posted by SEB74

Just look that, this car must be aggressive, the car of Satan in person so exterior red or black all the other color is for lady and this is it
This black car looks different to the other cars I have seen. Is there a center stripe in gunmeta grey?

Not a fan of all black wheels. I like black wheels but don’t like the lip being black. I like separation between the rim and the tire. Gunmetal or aluminium lip for example.

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
I actually would NOT get a black one. The large openings in the sides, front bumper corners, chin spoilers, etc all get completely lost in black. The front end looks like a large snow blade.

Hard to beat the launch color scheme of GT Silver. That red one is damn cool too!
This is exactly what I am worried about. Need to see one in the flesh. This is why GT Silver is winning at the moment. I am going to ask if I can fly to Germany and see a black

Originally Posted by sccchiii
With the most respect possible....who cares what we think? It’s your car and your color, and you won’t see much of exterior color from drivers seat. My 2 cents is go light color vs black but I track my cars so I spec’d mine in silver with WP already. Hopefully regardless of ext color you drive the **** out of it. Good luck you will love it.
Of course this is ultimately a personal decision, however because I haven’t seen a black car and I haven’t got experience optioning a 911, I want to tap into this amazing knowledge base. I have already amended parts of
my interior spec thanks to go advice here.

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
As Henry Ford once said, "You can have any color...as long as it is black." I think black looks incredible, but GT Silver is my second choice.
Originally Posted by evilfij
I’d have black. And I would do painted vent slats in black to get rid of the last bit of silver trim (the vent casings are covered in leather with painted vent slats).
I like this idea! Black leather on vent casings and painted black slats.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:56 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Painting all the last remaining items in black makes the car completely lost. A GT2 RS should have "THOSE" distinctive items. It's those items that help characterize the car as a GT2 RS. Otherwise, it'll just look like a black Turbo S with a big wing...

Not to mention, **most** black cars usually look like **** **most** of the time. UNLESS, you have it completely and professionally paint corrected, then drive from the paint correcting facility to your next destination, get out, wipe the car down with Quick Detailer or equivalent, cover up the car, then drive the car to another location, get out, wipe the car down with Quick Detailer or equivalent, and repeat this exercise everywhere you go. Otherwise, a black car is dusty, swirled up, rock-chipped, road rashed, scratched for the bulk of the population that own black cars.

GT Silver...park it in the rain, it looks great. 20 minute hand wash and it's fine. That black car will cost someone hours to clean up. Some years down the road, **most** black cars look older than their other counterparts due to all the shortcomings of black.

Trust me...I LOVE black cars...especially for that 30 minutes or so once they're all detailed and looking strong (then it's downhill from there until the next detailing session). At one point in my life, everything I owned was black on black...for years. Now, I feel that black almost dates a car. Modern car designs and shapes are so interesting that black disguises and mutes a car; especially a GT car. These cars should have color of some sort (Red, Miami Blue, Yellow, PTS Blues etc) or have an industrial scheme (Agate, GT Silver to accentuate the lines etc). Black just bores it up....like a default choosing back in the late 90's/early 2000's

Just look at all of the black accent pieces of the GT Silver car that's on display above...EVERY one of those black accents is completely lost with a black car unless you are standing 5 feet next to it. On the GT Silver car, for example, they're all harmonious interesting design points.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

This is my first GT car and I could really use some help and have some questions from some of veterans here.
May I ask how you managed to get an allocation ?

My local OPC has 124 LOI potential buyers, I had hoped that being someone who bought the last GT2 new in the recession days of 2008 and is demonstrably not in it for a profit I might stand a chance but a half hour chat with the sales manager yesterday didn't fill me with confidence I suspect it will be those who have spent the most who get the big toy...
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TB993tt
May I ask how you managed to get an allocation ?

My local OPC has 124 LOI potential buyers, I had hoped that being someone who bought the last GT2 new in the recession days of 2008 and is demonstrably not in it for a profit I might stand a chance but a half hour chat with the sales manager yesterday didn't fill me with confidence I suspect it will be those who have spent the most who get the big toy...

Quick Reply: 991 GT2 RS with WP - Finalising my spec for Jan delivery