Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,069 Likes on 5,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'm leaning towards something like this:

This bar is made by a place called Autohaus Hamilton in Australia, but they don't export. It's basically just a bar with end plates that bolt to the same structure in the back as most all harness bars.
I think Challenge did (or does) something nearly identical to that for the E92 M3.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

This would be ideal for my touring. I was wondering how to still run a harness (and hans) for any track days.
PS i assume there isn't any reason why you could use a Hans device with the harness secured in this manner with this bar.

This bar is made by a place called Autohaus Hamilton in Australia, but they don't export. It's basically just a bar with end plates that bolt to the same structure in the back as most all harness bars.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:09 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Thank you, very useful, this is what I️ was thinking. I️ guess I️ would have expected to still have SOME perimeter bar with this attachment , but in the end the harness bar is the only bit which matters to me. I’ll go check this out.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My .2 showed up last month, I purchased the gmg rsr harness bar with the gt3 6 point schroth harness, when installing harness on the lwb seats do I need sub bar mount for both seats ?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
My .2 showed up last month, I purchased the gmg rsr harness bar with the gt3 6 point schroth harness, when installing harness on the lwb seats do I need sub bar mount for both seats ?
Does the passenger seat have a hole for the sub belt? You would need a sub bar mount for both seats.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:40 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

It does not , have to open seam and cut pass thru hole in CF
Old 11-18-2017, 12:53 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have this same question. GSG bar is the one that looks like the best solution to keep back storage area usable (like for my golf clubs). There is an older post here where the BBI guy said they would also be happy to make their roll cage without the front cross member, so it would be just like the GSG bar. Not sure how to paste the link here, but it is in the thread in this forum that talks about the 6 best roll bars.

But, that said, what I want when I finally get my car, which is 12 months plus from now, is something like that same harness mount bar you pictured above from Australia. I just want the harness mount, not the full cage. I wonder if the BBI guys would/could fabricate something like that for us using the factory mount points. I wasn't going to ask them just yet, given my lengthy wait time, but maybe we should.

Any BBI guys reading this? Any ideas where to get just a harness bar? I'd buy one....
Old 11-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

If you can’t find a fabricated to make that bar , Im a fan of my gmg rsr cage, still allows for behind the seat use/access and minimal interior alterations for install
so you can easily remove and get back to stock for short money
Old 12-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

A harness bar like the one above with us with harnesses and a Hans device is NOT a good idea. The point of a roll bar is to make sure you don't get crushed in a roll over...and with race buckets, harness keeping you BOLT upright and no additional roll over protection = bad idea.
Just FYI...
Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
A harness bar like the one above with us with harnesses and a Hans device is NOT a good idea. The point of a roll bar is to make sure you don't get crushed in a roll over...and with race buckets, harness keeping you BOLT upright and no additional roll over protection = bad idea.
Just FYI...

I wouldn't wear a harness without a hans device. Harness locks your upper body in further causing your head to bobble around in any sort of crash even low speed, side wall impact etc. A HANS device reduces neck shear etc...https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-lives-feature

Agree roll cage is best protection, but question in my mind, is if standard belt with buckets less or more safe then harness(with hans) via Harness bar (but not roll cage) ?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Chris R., very good point, and it makes a lot of sense. However, I have same question as Oldmxnut, and would add that for the 1-2 DE events I will do per year, would I rather just use the street belts or harness bar only with Hans but no roll-cage. I know you never "plan" to roll the car, but chances of me flipping it in a DE event has to be pretty small. Would I rather have the harness bar, harness and Hans device, or just regular street belts? I feel like the better choice is the harness bar route, keep my butt planted in the seat and provide some reasonable impact protection (which is much more likely than a rollover).

But what do I know, which is why I'm asking and very much appreciate the comment above, which is hard to argue with. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Thanks Chris R., very good point, and it makes a lot of sense. However, I have same question as Oldmxnut, and would add that for the 1-2 DE events I will do per year, would I rather just use the street belts or harness bar only with Hans but no roll-cage. I know you never "plan" to roll the car, but chances of me flipping it in a DE event has to be pretty small. Would I rather have the harness bar, harness and Hans device, or just regular street belts? I feel like the better choice is the harness bar route, keep my butt planted in the seat and provide some reasonable impact protection (which is much more likely than a rollover).

But what do I know, which is why I'm asking and very much appreciate the comment above, which is hard to argue with. Thanks again.
You are better off having good bucket seats and use the 3 point belts. There are other "hans" style head restraints that don't use a harness to keep your neck from overextending in a crash.
A simple "trip" of the car at slow speed could be fatal with no roll bar and a harness...stay planted in your driving position via good seats. In my old 6GT3 I had the euro recaro "race" seats and would remove the bottom cushion to get "deeper" in the seat and better feel what th car was doing. Just a tip.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

for a minimally invasive application, we offer the RSR Harness bar that has an open main hoop. The design allows for maximum space and the least amount of carpet incisions as the front bars bolt to the seat belt anchors.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport Audi Sport Customer Racing Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

That’s it! That was the one I was looking for, leaving the entire cabin open, and looks pretty cool through the rear window too. Do you paint them in stock porsche colors?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

GMG is definitely the way to do what you are looking to accomplish. It cost a little more than $600 to buy the pieces you'd need to take it out and go back to stock. I also love the symmetry of it. The left and right side match! You will also notice a difference in chassis stiffness.

Quick Reply: LEAST intrusive rear rollcage recommendation