Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
You need 7-10 crew to support one race car?
Dude we need a lot of dudes- we have 2-4 hour races in IMSA.
One pit stop:

fuel dude
Fire extinguisher dude
Fuel valve dude aka Deadman
tire dude 1
Tire dude 2
Crew chief/ Chassis dude
Strategy dude
Video/ Data Dude

Not in pit stop
PR/Media/ Sponsor relations dude
Truck driver dude

Optional:
nutritionist/ fitness coach/
driver coach

The reason why PWC is so much cheaper is because you only need 3-4 guys Per car. If you have a blowout, game over. We fix crashed cars, we repair stuff and slap the car back together and try to score points. That’s why we have finished 2nd in 2016 and 3rd in 2017 despite massive performance gaps to most cars in Series. We have a super strong team not the overdog car.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats one hellova dude fest.

In regards to the spy video, it sounds like this car has a PDK instead of a pneumatic gearbox or the electro one used in the RSR as it sounds slower on the downshifts to me.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The RS I’m less certain about as its Porsche’s top dog street-legal race car. It’s the car I could see them doing a NA+hybrid or turbo engine switch in the future so it can stay in the same ballpark as Mclaren, Ferrari, and the new Lamborghini turbo/hybrids coming in the future.
Rather than hybrid/turbo the next homologation special should have the new cylinder head and spark plug design from the 919. I think with most of the kinks being worked out (expensed) via next years RSR?
Old 11-04-2017, 04:28 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

When everything is Turbo at least you won't have to wear ear plugs at races.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:28 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Birel22
Nizer has a point.... This is a logical step for the Porsche GT4 platform to compete with the R8, AMG GT, and Mac 570 (actual peers in a production sense). Unfortunately, costs are quickly escalating, the norm for a popular growing racing segment. It looks like the Cayman will be relegated to the TCR ranks unless they put a proper uncorked 4.0L in it. I hope the GT4 class doesn't lose touch with its roots. The competition and "manageable" costs have been awesome for gentlemen drivers and pros alike. Not to mention seeing the Cayman punch well above its weight.

All said, it just as well could be the new GT3R for the GTD/GT3 class as it is no secret that Porsche has been struggling against the competition. Given those budgets and what it takes to run a turbo car, this seems very plausible. To me the tell is all of the AERO on the car. That screams GT3.
Originally Posted by Mvez
That is not GT3 aero, it's Cup aero. it might be a GT3R engine/drivetrain test mule, but that is still years away. IMSA has already confirmed that Porsche (along with other manufacturers) are using their one-time update to the currently homologated GT3R. This means it will feature the new fascia/aero as seen on the upcoming GT3RS, and all the other various updates of the new 2018 GT3R car package.. The GT3R is homologated off the RS, so we will see this "Evo" update kit for the current GT3R owners, along with the release of the .2RS for the 2018 racing season.

So Porsche GT3R is going to stay NA for the new few years as well, which is a good thing. That car is perfectly competitive in all GT3/GTD competition. Good teams/drivers campaigning them are what have been lacking.

Given that prices for top GT4 cars are now the same or more than 991.2 Cup cars, it wouldn't surprise me to see Porsche move to the 911 platform for GT4, and use the 718/GT4 for future TCR categories. However, the GT2RS base price is already crazy high, so it's not like they will charge LESS for the race car version of it.....I'm interested to see how they would price such a car, if it existed. 300K for a GT4 car seems kinda crazy given their current GT4 car costs $160K.

Whatever they do, they always find a way to make it work. I'm just glad they are still one of the very few offering NA street and race cars.
TCR is FWD only and max. 2000cc turbo four-cylinders. I don't see how Porsche would even consider entering a touring car under those regulations.

The introduction of the Cayman GT4 in the GT4 category was perhaps rushed but other than that there doesn't appear to be issue with the car. Competitiveness doesn't depend on the price of the car and I don't see what speaks against updating the car in the future on basis of the 718. Doubt Porsche will abandon the Cayman GT4 so soon.

Entering a GT2 RS with slicks and more aero in GT4 would be completely insane, unnecessary and contribute even more towards killing the category.

Quick Reply: new Cup will be Turbo? on GT2RS base?