Sponsored by:

911 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I hear you. And, for someone who wants LWBs, I agree.

I test sat 981/991 LWBs vs 4-way Sport Seats Plus one last time before my GT4 order locked and chose the 4-ways. They fit my frame better and provide more upper body support than 981/991 LWBs do. They're also more adjustable, less expensive, easier to get in and out of in a car I drive daily, and were available with heat. They definitely give up something in "sense of connection and occasion," but I've never, not once, in 14,000 miles wished I had spec'd the LWBs. The 4-way Sport Seats Plus are one of the best Porsche street seats to dateup there with 1980s sport seats and 959S/RSA seats. And my T spec with LWBs would be pushing past $130k, at which point the GT3 MT is very hard to ignore at $144k.

But no two-seat 911 is for me in this season, as I need back seats for kiddos. And I prefer my 911s to have them anyway. You never know when they might come in handy, and they don't add much in the way of weight.

Nope.

While the 991's RWS system has become very, very good and adds noticeable stability under braking on the way into a bend while sharpening the car and "shrinking" its wheelbase...wait, why wouldn't you get it? Maybe you should. But I wouldn't on a Carrera-line car because time and miles in various press cars suggest the most fun 991.2 Carrera-line car is the simplest one, mechanically. I also like the challenge of balancing a 911 on the brakes on the way into a bend, and the "honesty" of non-RWS cars. That said, I think RWS is brilliant, in no small part because of how much happens at the back end of a 911. YMMV, and opinions are split even within Weissach. Not sure there is a right answer here, but I have little doubt that RWS will yield better lap times.
Agree that the 4 way sport seats plus are one of the best seats Porsche has ever made. For me as well they are far more comfortable than LWBs, and they happen to be free with the car.

Agree that the RWS is very good and does add agility to the 991 cars. I really felt the absence of it, when driving 991.1s or 991.2s carreras without RWS.
That said, I agree you lose some of the driving connection with RWS and I would prefer to have a shorter wheelbase like the 993s or at least the 997s.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 PM
TheQuick911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now make a 991 with a 718 Cayman s engine and name it the 912 and make it cheeper
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
I want to like it but the 7 speed manual kills it for me. Certainly a lot to be said for an attempt at a "purist" or "drivers" car within the turbo-powered Carrera range. Makes sense to keep it turbo and leave NA for GT division IMHO. But it would need a proper 6 speed for me to want one, and outfitting it with one wouldn't step on GT toes like an NA motor would.
Out of curiosity, why do people prefer the 6 speed to the 7? Doesn't 7 allow you to have more ratios and/or a top gear for highway cruising?

The final drive ratio has been modified to shorten the gears overall, so I would have that 7 speed and shorter gearing is win:win?
Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by TheQuick911
Now make a 991 with a 718 Cayman s engine and name it the 912 and make it cheeper
As interesting as that sounds from a purist perspective, I don’t think anyone would ACTUALLY buy it. You would have a lot of people making statements like:

“But if only it had an NA 6 cyl with same power I’d buy it”
“But if only they had also removed 200lbs of weight I’d buy it”
“But if only they allowed me to order lightweight PTS paint, I’d buy it”

But no one would actually.. buy it.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Out of curiosity, why do people prefer the 6 speed to the 7? Doesn't 7 allow you to have more ratios and/or a top gear for highway cruising?

The final drive ratio has been modified to shorten the gears overall, so I would have that 7 speed and shorter gearing is win:win?
Spacing on the gates is odd. It's not identical to the 6 with just a 7th gear out to the right, and, at least on the older cars, the throws were longer.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

I see no reason for this car and think its stupid. But, I also feel this way about the cayman and the Macan, so I am sure it will sell.

I am waiting for all the threads to start about why its better than the GT3, RS, R, and how they saved so much money.

This is Porsche continuing their push downmarket.

They could have easily put in a 4.0, completely stripped it out, lighter wheels, body panels, and components etc. and made a better version of GT3 touring and charged more than the winged GT3 and it would sell like crazy. Reaching the same hysteria as the R.

They want to move more units.

More people can afford $100K cars than $200K +.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Really? Didn't realise that. That's a bit disappointing. Had thought this could be a nice car for road trips and some Ring laps, but a road tuned system would probably be way too intrusive on track.
Yes, only GT3, GT4 and RS' are able to turn off TC and SC; no nannies. in non-GT 911's you are able to turn off the SC, but it will still kick in and be somewhat intrusive in corners; even at say 80-90% or so. And TC is always on and very much active; but you don't know because there is no TC light on dash; but i have never been able to break the tires loose. i think they keep non-GT's and turbos safer for average joes to enjoy on the street. but for a driver's car, the T should have option to turn off to really be involved and control the car at limits.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
I see no reason for this car and think its stupid. But, I also feel this way about the cayman and the Macan, so I am sure it will sell.

I am waiting for all the threads to start about why its better than the GT3, RS, R, and how they saved so much money.

This is Porsche continuing their push downmarket.

They could have easily put in a 4.0, completely stripped it out, lighter wheels, body panels, and components etc. and made a better version of GT3 touring and charged more than the winged GT3 and it would sell like crazy. Reaching the same hysteria as the R.

They want to move more units.

More people can afford $100K cars than $200K +.
fastmd it sounds like youve had too much money for too long. Not everyone can afford a GT3 or an R but maybe they still aspire to have a 911 with a bit more driver oriented setup. Why is this or a cayman stupid? If you want an R just go buy one.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:27 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
fastmd it sounds like youve had too much money for too long. Not everyone can afford a GT3 or an R but maybe they still aspire to have a 911 with a bit more driver oriented setup. Why is this or a cayman stupid? If you want an R just go buy one.
I think this car and the cayman are stupid, correct. This will do exactly what Porsche wants, brilliant.

But under the guise of the more driver oriented spec, bs.

I dont want an R. Was offered an R. I like my 911s with big wings.

I see they have already hit their demographic.

What was wrong with the base 911 as entry level?
Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

I’d rather have a GT4.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:12 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

I would also rather have a GT4 for the same money. I do think the T optioned up is about $10k high for what you get. My first Porsche was a Cayman and I loved it. A lot of people looked down on it because it was cheap and not rear engined. I drove a 997 and couldnt see why the porpoising front end and higher price made it a better car. After having a GT3 and an RS I understand the charm of the rear engine 911 feel. But that doesnt mean I cant see the appeal of a base 911 with a little something special thrown in.

I dont think porsche was build on super expensive ultra high performance. I think of sporty, light, simple, durable. I guess Im stupid all around.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:36 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

What was wrong with the base 911 as entry level?
No LWB and RSD, the stupid 5% higher than S/GTS final drive, no PTV aka an LSD, no SPASM, no RWS, sport chrono benefits required the wart (all Carrera its an issue).

Basically stuff on or available on an S plus the GT3 seats and chrono no wart. Porsche knew the base was a tune away from an S so they made a lot of stuff worse on the base to differentiate the S. The T ended that (minus the smaller steel brakes).
Old 10-25-2017, 02:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,381 Likes on 637 Posts

People that are looking for a “pure driving joy” experience vs a “daily driver experience” would end in the following 100-130,000 quandry

GT4?
Boxster Spyder?
911T?
GTS with a few miles?
997 GT3?

This car has the least Horsepower
This car has the worst gearbox
This car has the most depreciation waiting
This car has the least heritage
This car is turbo charged
This car has a warranty
This car has bucket seats available
This is a new model
The videos are pretty
Old 10-25-2017, 02:48 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
People that are looking for a “pure driving joy” experience vs a “daily driver experience” would end in the following 100-130,000 quandry

GT4?
Boxster Spyder?
911T?
GTS with a few miles?
997 GT3?

This car has a warranty
This is a new model
The videos are pretty
If the next generation GT4 and/or spyder get a 6 speed manual option with lower gearing this time, and an NA engine with more torque than the previous versions, both of those would make for incredible drivers cars.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
People that are looking for a pure driving joy experience vs a daily driver experience would end in the following 100-130,000 quandry

GT4?
Boxster Spyder?
911T?
GTS with a few miles?
997 GT3?

This car has a warranty
This is a new model
The videos are pretty
ok, C.J., just between you and me, on the DL, I need you to get me a GT3T manual allocation. Then all the above matters....

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T