Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:53 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Really? Wonder why. Surely not for weight savings for the module.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:35 AM
nastinupe1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the 18 way. Buckets are just too snug and uncomfortable for DD. Sure the buckets look cool, but it's a seat at the end of the day. Your back and butt will thank you in the long run. If someone else wants to buy the car and they want buckets, tell them to buy them and install them. It's that simple.
The following users liked this post:
dcstalder (10-12-2019)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:42 PM
mad_max
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Backed out of deal this weekend because of buckets. I couldn't stand the very upright backrest even though everything else was fine (a little harder to get in and out). If I get an allocation I'd configure one with 18ways because of the memory feature on the 991.2. Otherwise I would be happy with either 18ways or the 4ways. However, I was told my my local dealer every single 991.2 that they got so far had buckets.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:31 PM
kshu1991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My own experience is, LWB is hard for reaching the rear space behind front seat since the back of seat could not fold. And it's hard to get in and out.

Long distance is comfortable actually. I suggest putting a pillow or something to support your back. With the pillow, I'm happy to drive over four hours without stopping. Otherwise, two hours is enough for me.

Funny story: My mom had a back pain once. Seating in a car for longer than half an hour is impossible for her at that time until she tries the LWB. Right now she still doesn't understand what driving pleasure is; she thinks a car is just a tool to get from A to B, but she understands why I keep talking about I must get an LWB when I was seeking for an allocation. Maybe in a wrong way, but I'm happy with that.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_max
Backed out of deal this weekend because of buckets. I couldn't stand the very upright backrest even though everything else was fine (a little harder to get in and out). If I get an allocation I'd configure one with 18ways because of the memory feature on the 991.2. Otherwise I would be happy with either 18ways or the 4ways. However, I was told my my local dealer every single 991.2 that they got so far had buckets.
Memory feature of the 991.2? Is this confirmed? On the 991.1 the 18 ways had no memory feature, despite the configurator stating it did.

As to why it didn’t have it, I can only speculate that someone made the call that memory seats were not part of the GT car ethos.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:06 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

A few points to consider:

4 ways prevent you from selecting deviated stitching.

For either four way or 18 way, the plastic Grey Silver back looks cheap to me and to get it in leather it is $1870, $2020 with deviated stitching.

If you spec 18 way with leather backs and heated seats the cost is a little more than LWBs ($5210 or $5360 v. $5200).

where I came down is I felt the LWBs felt best to me. If you don’t like the angle, there is an aftermarket rod which increases the recline a bit.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:15 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Haven't read this thread but thought I'd share my two-cents because I'm a fanatic about seats, and have sat in dozens of 991s.

It's 100% subjective and based on your body.
Some people love the 4-ways. Some people love the 18-ways.
I have the 18-ways, hated them for the first year, felt like I was sitting on top of the seat. Side and bottom bolsters are too snug for my taste, also hate waiting to move the seats fore and aft. They have grown on me lately, don't dislike them anymore as they seem to fit me better now after I've gotten used to them.
Still would prefer the 4-way seats for ease of access to rear and, most importantly, better fit for my body.

Buckets are overrated IMHO but I would be hard-pressed not to go for them in new GT3. It's a shame Touring doesn't come with rear seats, but if you plan on using the back for storage, the 4-ways are likely the way to go!!! Try them on first though.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
A few points to consider:

4 ways prevent you from selecting deviated stitching.

For either four way or 18 way, the plastic Grey Silver back looks cheap to me and to get it in leather it is $1870, $2020 with deviated stitching.

If you spec 18 way with leather backs and heated seats the cost is a little more than LWBs ($5210 or $5360 v. $5200).

where I came down is I felt the LWBs felt best to me. If you don’t like the angle, there is an aftermarket rod which increases the recline a bit.
4 ways do not prevent you from getting deviated stitching. I have 4 ways and I have deviated stitching.

Agree the plastic seat backs look cheap and so I got the seat backs in leather for $1870, there was no extra charge for the deviated stitching on the seat backs it’s all part of the deviated stitching package.

As the 4 ways are free with the car, the $1870 for just the leather seat backs is far cheaper than LWB, and 4 ways are approximately 20lbs lighter than 18 ways, although LWB are lighter than 4 ways.

Also, myself and many others find the 4 ways to be more comfortable than the 18ways, so I recommend the OP test the 4 way SS vs the 18 way SS before finalizing his decision.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:21 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I should be more clear. 4 ways prevent you from getting the deviated stitiching option ($3500). You still get the silver or red (for $1500) stitiching with four ways. If you were able to get the deviated stitching option with four ways that is news.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:30 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

Purchase or option the car with Sport Buckets. If it is uncomfortable, get used 18 way sport seats off and store the Carbons until you sell the car.

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 12-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I didn't realize there were so many old farts with bad backs on this site. LOL just kidding. LWB all the way for a GT3. Anyone I know was discounting the price without them around 10k. It's essentially a track car that can do some DD'ing as well.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:34 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
Purchase or option the car with Sport Buckets. If it is uncomfortable, get used 18 way sport seats off and store the Carbons until you sell the car.
it’s really really hard to buy GT3 or RS 4/18 way seats after the fact as most owners want to be able to return their cars to stock seats when they sell their GT3/RS as that’s what dealers prefer.

I personally looked for over a year before I could find someone to sell me their GT3 4 way seats.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:41 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
I didn't realize there were so many old farts with bad backs on this site. LOL just kidding. LWB all the way for a GT3. Anyone I know was discounting the price without them around 10k. It's essentially a track car that can do some DD'ing as well.
And this is exactly the issue not getting LWBs. The perception is that it hurts the value on resale, and this is probably the case b/c most of your potential buyers want them. For resale, I'd say a non-Touring GT3 with PDK should have buckets if your are concerned about optimum resale. A little less of a case for 6MT though. And even less of a case for Touring. This is just my theory if you're sensitive to resale.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
And this is exactly the issue not getting LWBs. The perception is that it hurts the value on resale, and this is probably the case b/c most of your potential buyers want them. For resale, I'd say a non-Touring GT3 with PDK should have buckets if your are concerned about optimum resale. A little less of a case for 6MT though. And even less of a case for Touring. This is just my theory if you're sensitive to resale.
Agree completely. It will be interesting to see how many tourings are ordered with LWB so far, although that sampling is so small right now.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

Roll cage = LWB
No roll cage= 18/14 way seats SIMPLE

Quick Reply: GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3