Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Track Precision App also work when no Sport Chrono is installed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Does the Track Precision App also work when no Sport Chrono is installed?

As per title. Laptimer only if you have the SC? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:26 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Without SC the Track Precision app won't be able to connect to the wifi "car network" that is created by a control unit that is installed in the car with SC.

That control unit can also be installed afterwards if one did not spec SC by using a kit available from Suncoast - perhaps others.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GT3APP.html

I had my dealer install this kit in my GT3RS and the PTP app links up, gets all the data streams, and works fine. No bump on my dash.

HTH.

[edit: True for 991.1 ; don't know about .2]
Old 09-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Depends on the car. If it's the 991.2 GT3, then SC is not needed. The track app hardware is included in the base car at no cost (ok, as a part of the MSRP increase).

Any 991.1 needs the SC option to use the app.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Gauss
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you're right. I can't get myself to liking that clock and have submitted my final spec without SC.
If the App doesn't work, then I'll have to add the Wifi parts later.
Thanks for your help, guys.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:42 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauss
I hope you're right. I can't get myself to liking that clock and have submitted my final spec without SC.
If the App doesn't work, then I'll have to add the Wifi parts later.
Thanks for your help, guys.
In the US, Track App is standard, but the SC is optional. So, they are not totally dependent...
Old 02-04-2018, 05:19 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ezinternet
Without SC the Track Precision app won't be able to connect to the wifi "car network" that is created by a control unit that is installed in the car with SC.

That control unit can also be installed afterwards if one did not spec SC by using a kit available from Suncoast - perhaps others.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991GT3APP.html

I had my dealer install this kit in my GT3RS and the PTP app links up, gets all the data streams, and works fine. No bump on my dash.

HTH.

[edit: True for 991.1 ; don't know about .2]
Worth it? Or will other apps suffice (such as Harry's??). Seem's quite pricey for an app that has limitations on videos only on prelisted tracks and so on? Are you using it often?? Would really appreciate your feedback,. since am considering the same install. It would be the first they do here in Kuwait, which makes me think its either not very popular, or else everyone else's car has SC...
Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

@tshawa - Sorry, I don't have the experience to compare to 3rd party apps like Harry's, only much earlier generation Vbox external box.

I like the integration, nothing to connect except the phone.
I'm happy enough with the resolution without an external antenna as all the laps around the same circuit can be compared even when the "line" seems to be a bit off.
I succeeded in viewing the files on my iPad for a larger screen.
My track (Autobahn, Joliet Illinois USA) isn't in the predefined tracks but the mapping overlay over Google Maps imaging is fine.
Have used it for 2-3 days only, before Winter set in.
Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Perhaps ask the question over in the Data Acquisition thread of the guys and gals with more hands-on experience?
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...available.html
Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 AM
tshawa
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

@tshawa - Sorry, I don't have the experience to compare to 3rd party apps like Harry's, only much earlier generation Vbox external box.

I'm happy enough with the resolution without an external antenna as all the laps around the same circuit can be compared even when the "line" seems to be a bit off.
My track (Autobahn, Joliet Illinois USA) isn't in the predefined tracks but the mapping overlay over Google Maps imaging is fine.

Perhaps ask the question over in the Data Acquisition thread of the guys and gals with more hands-on experience?
Thanks for the feedback...
Old 02-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

On the GT4 without SC installed but activating SC software gave the ability for get G meter and shift assist , same on the 991.2 GT3 MT6?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:13 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for the off subject. But what type of iPhone mount are you using?

Quick Reply: Does the Track Precision App also work when no Sport Chrono is installed?