Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Per the string in the 991.1 section of this Forum, overall 911 numbers are declining so this leaves room for more GT cars.......

do Porsche see opportunity in the specialty GT market vs regular 911 to ensure the production line is full?? The cleaning lady will know

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9755...n-numbers.html
Old 09-12-2017, 03:48 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
+1

Last Audi I bought was a Manual A6 Allroad. There's a reason I never bought another and it ain't cause I didn't like car.....
manual allroad is what my GF wants. she currently has a manual 2014 A4 but we are getting a dog in the spring and needs more room for her horsing gear also. we were hoping new allroad would offer a manual, but nope. she did drive it and really liked it but i think she'll end up with a used manual allroad
Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I believe Porsche may be trting to "fix' the problems we have had. Heres my theory, people couldnt get the R, they felt they were abandoned and the best stuff was given to a few and why were the rest of us undeserving? So they made the touring pkg. You said you wanted it, well you got it. no PDK because its supposed to be a slightly slower on the track but more involving car..right? That means no PDK. You want PDK, too bad this is what you wanted so here it is. R people, no whining, it lacks the special body work you got. Speculators and flippers, too bad for you. if you really want this experience here it is. if you demanded it and now you don't buy it that means you were disingenuous when you demanded it.
Another variant means,more GT car production, without "increasing production" so the GT3 its still a limited product but I'm sure they will increase production. This way they can increase production stabilize supply and demand without shaking things up to much, kind of a stealth production increase.
This way everyone is happy, more profits to Porsche less to flippers, plus despite what some say I believe the GT3 is a money maker. as expensive as a turbo with a lot less content . Anyone else think the same?
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg?

They listen to their customers.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

A message of peace and prosperity.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The message is Porsche is a family company. GT3 for the husband, Touring for the wife. Station wagon (Panamera) or SUV for the grandparents. Cayman & Boxster for the kids.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I fully agree that the car brand PORSCHE, is a strong proponent of "Diversity and Inclusion."

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
The message is Porsche is a family company. GT3 for the husband, Touring for the wife. Station wagon (Panamera) or SUV for the grandparents. Cayman & Boxster for the kids.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Seems likely to increase the potential buyer pool, no doubt.

Perhaps Porsche could see their way to making it easier (oh, say by building a few more! ) for track day guys to get into a Clubsport GT4 to siphon off some of the overflow pressure from the GT3 order book?? GT3 to Cup seems like too big of a jump and well driven Cup cars seem out of place on track days...not that I've seen a CS GT4 in that environment either but it seems like the CS wouldn't be so out of place and the price of entry and running costs would make it plausible for many of the faster track day junkies.

Or is that just wishful thinking on my part because heart of hearts what I'd really like for myself is full cage car with access to some of the modern Porsche nanny systems to help me learn (...and there's no way I can afford to run a Cup )??
It's possible there are more CS GT4s at your track day events than you think. They're easily missed. I see them regularly at Chin events and also at AMP.

I too would like to see Porsche make it slightly more mainstream to get something like the Clubsport. It's such a PITA to get a GT car allocation that I feel I may as well just go for broke. But like you I don't want the full monty of a Cup Car. Just not sure the Clubsport can really be managed without track support either - so far that's been my take on it. It's really close it seems but I'm still more comfortable on my own with a street car. Maybe if there were more of them and a more vibrant community I'd take the plunge.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

We listened to you after the 911R.

Last edited by mass27; 09-12-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
It's possible there are more CS GT4s at your track day events than you think. They're easily missed. I see them regularly at Chin events and also at AMP.

I too would like to see Porsche make it slightly more mainstream to get something like the Clubsport. It's such a PITA to get a GT car allocation that I feel I may as well just go for broke. But like you I don't want the full monty of a Cup Car. Just not sure the Clubsport can really be managed without track support either - so far that's been my take on it. It's really close it seems but I'm still more comfortable on my own with a street car. Maybe if there were more of them and a more vibrant community I'd take the plunge.

The GT4 ClubSport is close to bullet proof.

Mine has 3000km on the clock. Been running it pretty much all year at my track a 4.85km track, and the last few months it's 34+ degrees every day and asphalt temperature 50+.

It ate one quart of oil and 5 set of slicks, that's it. Still on the original set of brake pads and disc. The pads have about 30% left. Nothing broke.

There is no need for track support, you can fuel the car yourself and the wheels are standard 5 lugs so no need for a 2nd person to help like on centerlocks.

1st service is at 5000km or 1 year. Basically it's an oil change and lubrication of all joints and do a once over on the car to see if anything is wrong.

It runs the the standard production car ECU, so no need to specialize Cosworth stuff like on the current Cup cars.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ Maybe a stupid question; but how different is it from the Motor in the road going GT4??
Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ Maybe a stupid question; but how different is it from the Motor in the road going GT4??

EAXCTLY the same one.

The transmission is also the standard PDK box with 7th gear locked out.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
EAXCTLY the same one.

Love my GT4-The most overrated and underrated car at the same time

It is an "Enigma"
Old 09-12-2017, 11:12 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
EAXCTLY the same one.

Wait..the six speed from the R, GT4 and new GT3 is the 7 speed manual with the 7th gear locked out? are you sure? i haven't read this anywhere and I thought when they released the GT4 and R they claimed it was a new gearbox.

Jimmy..the motor? soooo different you know that!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

The message Porsche is sending is all about getting money out of your wallet ...

Quick Reply: What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg