Steels for PCCBs??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I am going to get Surface Transforms and replace PCCBs at the dealers. Cost 12k usd. Should be able to get most of it back by selling PCCBs rotors.
Sounds like a good choice - let us know how you like them
Old 09-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

I went thru two sets Front PCCB rotors, one set of rears, i switch to Giro s,even thou I could afford PCCBs.
The nice thing about GIROS you switch back and forth easily!!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I have iron on my RS and like them for the obvious reasons.

That said I've driven an RS with PCCB at Barber and there's no doubt that the brake feel is superior. They're better. They're also more expensive.
Wow, someone actually agrees with me. Been saying this forever. I have PCCB on my C2S and the iron Carrera S brakes on my Spyder and they are night and day in terms of feel. I had no choice on the Spyder due to slim pickings, but I'd never spec a new Porsche without PCCB, even if I was going to track it. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive aftermarket, I'd convert my Spyder.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
You order/keep the PCCBs for resale - pure & simple - PCCB cars are more desirable on the used market
I find it hard to believe that you could recoup the initial cost ($9k for option plus sales tax, license, insurance, and lost interest on that amount plus the cost of replacement iron rotors) upon resale. Not to mention the hassle of removal and re-install...
Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm going to swap out my PCCB rotors/pads with a set of GiroDiscs / DS1.11s from Clark @ Apex before my first track event. I'm considering Race Technologies TS20 if they are available.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wow, someone actually agrees with me. Been saying this forever. I have PCCB on my C2S and the iron Carrera S brakes on my Spyder and they are night and day in terms of feel. I had no choice on the Spyder due to slim pickings, but I'd never spec a new Porsche without PCCB, even if I was going to track it. If it wasn't so ridiculously expensive aftermarket, I'd convert my Spyder.
Right on; I also feel it in the ride, especially on a bumpy surface.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I find it hard to believe that you could recoup the initial cost ($9k for option plus sales tax, license, insurance, and lost interest on that amount plus the cost of replacement iron rotors) upon resale. Not to mention the hassle of removal and re-install...
I believe the rotors alone cost $21k on Suncoast. Pretty sure you could get most of your $9k back in selling the rotors alone.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I believe the rotors alone cost $21k on Suncoast. Pretty sure you could get most of your $9k back in selling the rotors alone.
Fair Point
Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I am getting PCCBs on mine, it is mostly for daily driving anyway. Nearest race track from where I live is long drive (my schedule doesn't permit at this point in time). Track use will be less on my end unfortunately.

I love the clean look from PCCBs (hate that brake dust)
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 PM
NMM991
Racer

I have recently made a decision on which brakes or use on my 2016 GT3 RS. I have been running PCCBs and have 8,500 total miles and 980 track miles on them. Recently had the dealer read the carbon content in the PCCBs and my front rotors were 65 - 70% and the rear rotors were 35 - 40%; not good. I track the car 15 times or so a year, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and Sebring. I would call myself an intermediate driver; track only, no racing.

This wear much greater that I was expecting based upon at my experience with a 2015 GT3 that had 19,000 total miles and 2,800 track miles on the PCCBs before buying the RS. Those rotors were all measured in the 60 - 70% remaining life when I traded the car in for the RS. No one has been able to explain the difference in the rate of wear rates, especially the rear rotors. I know that PTV uses the rear brakes to manage over-steer so I am not surprised that the rear rotors have higher wear than the fronts, but not at this rate especially considering that the 2015 GT3 rear rotors did not wear at such a high rate.

I've been advised to expect 3,000 to perhaps even 5,000 track miles out of the third generation PCCBs (not confirmed by PCNA) but based upon my 2015 GT3 experience, that appears to be reasonable. I view the rear rotor wear on the 2016 RS as excessive and I am unable to explain it.

I have looked at the 410/400 mm Surface Transform direct rotor replacements and also the Girodisc direct rotor replacements. I discarded the Girodisc option because of the extra weight on 410/380 mm cast iron rotors. I was seriously tempted by the ST rotors with their ability to refurbished, but I don't know whether I will keep the car long enough to justify the cost increase over cast iron -- if I were to get 4 or 5 full cycles out of the ST rotors, 12 to 15,000 track miles(?), it would be about a breakeven with cast iron rotors.

Fortunately I had bought a set of new Porsche OEM 380 mm rotors with the red calipers for the 2015 GT3 which I can use on the 2016 RS. I have had the calipers painted yellow (Lave Orange car) and will try the OEM cast iron brakes with Pagid pads. I have tracked cars with OEM cast iron brakes before and never liked the feel and compared with the PCCBs; however, experienced drivers have told me that with the proper Pagid pads the feel and ability to modulate the brakes during trail braking is very good, perhaps better than the PCCBs. I hope they are correct, I will try the cast iron for 500 to 1,000 miles and if I don't like them, I will switch to the ST rotor option with the 410/400 mm rotors,

I have also heard through the grapevine that we may be seeing ST rotors on all PCCB based Porsche within 18 months or so; that might be a very good thing if these rotors can be refurbished. I hope these comments help others with the same concerns.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NMM991
I have recently made a decision on which brakes or use on my 2016 GT3 RS. I have been running PCCBs and have 8,500 total miles and 980 track miles on them. Recently had the dealer read the carbon content in the PCCBs and my front rotors were 65 - 70% and the rear rotors were 35 - 40%; not good. I track the car 15 times or so a year, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and Sebring. I would call myself an intermediate driver; track only, no racing.

This wear much greater that I was expecting based upon at my experience with a 2015 GT3 that had 19,000 total miles and 2,800 track miles on the PCCBs before buying the RS. Those rotors were all measured in the 60 - 70% remaining life when I traded the car in for the RS. No one has been able to explain the difference in the rate of wear rates, especially the rear rotors. I know that PTV uses the rear brakes to manage over-steer so I am not surprised that the rear rotors have higher wear than the fronts, but not at this rate especially considering that the 2015 GT3 rear rotors did not wear at such a high rate.

I've been advised to expect 3,000 to perhaps even 5,000 track miles out of the third generation PCCBs (not confirmed by PCNA) but based upon my 2015 GT3 experience, that appears to be reasonable. I view the rear rotor wear on the 2016 RS as excessive and I am unable to explain it.

I have looked at the 410/400 mm Surface Transform direct rotor replacements and also the Girodisc direct rotor replacements. I discarded the Girodisc option because of the extra weight on 410/380 mm cast iron rotors. I was seriously tempted by the ST rotors with their ability to refurbished, but I don't know whether I will keep the car long enough to justify the cost increase over cast iron -- if I were to get 4 or 5 full cycles out of the ST rotors, 12 to 15,000 track miles(?), it would be about a breakeven with cast iron rotors.

Fortunately I had bought a set of new Porsche OEM 380 mm rotors with the red calipers for the 2015 GT3 which I can use on the 2016 RS. I have had the calipers painted yellow (Lave Orange car) and will try the OEM cast iron brakes with Pagid pads. I have tracked cars with OEM cast iron brakes before and never liked the feel and compared with the PCCBs; however, experienced drivers have told me that with the proper Pagid pads the feel and ability to modulate the brakes during trail braking is very good, perhaps better than the PCCBs. I hope they are correct, I will try the cast iron for 500 to 1,000 miles and if I don't like them, I will switch to the ST rotor option with the 410/400 mm rotors,

I have also heard through the grapevine that we may be seeing ST rotors on all PCCB based Porsche within 18 months or so; that might be a very good thing if these rotors can be refurbished. I hope these comments help others with the same concerns.
Sounds like a good analysis and conclusion. Not to confuse things, but I might suggest you consider Race Technologies RE10 pads - work great with stock iron rotors (all the way to backing plates, unlike Pagid )
Old 09-23-2017, 06:24 PM
NMM991
Racer

Sounds like a good analysis and conclusion. Not to confuse things, but I might suggest you consider Race Technologies RE10 pads - work great with stock iron rotors (all the way to backing plates, unlike Pagid )
I'll ask my shop about the RE10s, I usually change pads at about 6 mm anyway just to help with heat dissipation -- especially with PCCBs. What is your experience with Pagids?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NMM991
I'll ask my shop about the RE10s, I usually change pads at about 6 mm anyway just to help with heat dissipation -- especially with PCCBs. What is your experience with Pagids?
I like RE10 more than RS 29 and they last longer and give longer rotor life.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM
NMM991
Racer

I like RE10 more than RS 29 and they last longer and give longer rotor life.
Thanks -- I'll try them
Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

One thing i noticed when i switched to Padig RS1 pads. Pad life was double OE's, but PCCB rotor life was cut in half!!
My suggestion, stick with OE's

Quick Reply: Steels for PCCBs??