Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts
Default NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match

Warning: NOT a PDK vs MT Debate please.

Just wanting a clearer understanding about what some of us who are choosing MT should expect.

There's a lot of debate about the MT and it being able to provide an "enhanced" driving experience and help develop traditional driving skills.

I'm just trying to better understand what newer technologies like "Auto-Rev-Matching" mean and how they may "enhance" or dilute the driving experience, or perception of it.

- The new .2 MT employs "Auto-Rev-Matching", does that render heel-toe technique irrelevant? If so, does it dilute the driving experience?

I do have a MT .2 coming and am trying to filter hype about it from fact. I would ideally like a Man-DK transmission!

Last edited by Haku; 09-04-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 09-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Hell yes it dilutes it. i would turn off if possible
Old 09-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

No doubt- "Manual" gives me a more connectiveness to the car and the road no matter how good the Automatic offering. But this is all Personal. You have the ability to turn-off the rev matching so to each their own. Certainly do not need another PDK-Manual debate.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No doubt- "Manual" gives me a more connectiveness to the car and the road no matter how good the Automatic offering. But this is all Personal. You have the ability to turn-off the rev matching so to each their own. Certainly do not need another PDK-Manual debate.
Agree entirely about the not wanting another PDK MT debate.

This is purely about what those selecting MT (like me) should expect, and what some of these technologies mean.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Sure it does. You will be more in control with manual. There's actually more on the clutch than just up or down shifts.

Heel and toe is one of the things to enjoy with these cars and engines. The car software will do the throttle blip for you but with no Sport / Sport+ you will not have it, so rev match will be up to you (this is how it's been with previous cars and how I've been told it is with the .2, I haven't driven it yet).

Last edited by juanpablo046; 09-04-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
Sure it does. You will be more in control with manual. There's actually more on the clutch than just up or down shifts.

Heel and toe is one of the things to enjoy with these cars and engines. The car software will do it the throttle blip you but with no Sport plus on you will not have it, so rev match will be up to you (this is how it's been with previous cars and how I've been told it is with the .2, I haven't driven it yet).
This is useful to know. Thank you Juan.

There's been a lack of information in the press about specific techniques and MT enhancements. I've had a 997.2 GT3 and am trying to imagine how the .2 991 GT3 MT will be different.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:38 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

I have rev match in my Grand Sport and find it annoying if it switches on by accident. GM in one of their cost savings measures decided that the cheap paddle shifters on the auto would make a nice switch for rev matching on the manual- really stupid!

The technology is really good, however the annoying part is it works all the time, for example coming to a stop and downshifting slowly you will get a rev match to put the car in gear and if you are slow to release the clutch, another one when you do that! It's much better IMHO to do it all yourself even when you bungle it and jerk your wife's head around like I did coming home from dinner last night! I find the challenge harder at slow speeds like that then when actually driving faster- it's a fun challenge to make the rev match smooth as possible when going slowly.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:52 AM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I have rev match in my Grand Sport and find it annoying if it switches on by accident. GM in one of their cost savings measures decided that the cheap paddle shifters on the auto would make a nice switch for rev matching on the manual- really stupid!

The technology is really good, however the annoying part is it works all the time, for example coming to a stop and downshifting slowly you will get a rev match to put the car in gear and if you are slow to release the clutch, another one when you do that! It's much better IMHO to do it all yourself even when you bungle it and jerk your wife's head around like I did coming home from dinner last night! I find the challenge harder at slow speeds like that then when actually driving faster- it's a fun challenge to make the rev match smooth as possible when going slowly.
Can't talk about the GM software but on the GT4 the auto blip works VERY well. Just what you would be doing to rev match (perfectly of course, not as me &#129318

The best I think would be to test drive a GT4 or a manual 991.2 with Sport Chrono
Old 09-04-2017, 12:19 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Not diluted at all. If .2 GT3 is like GT4 rev matching can be on or off. If off no different than traditional manual. If you are feeling lazy or just wanting to try something different rev matching is kinda cool too. Also on track rev matching can help with being smooth if you want to use it and are not the most skilled heel/toer. Try it out on somebody GT4 at a Smokies event.

You are worrying too much me thinks

If you don't like the manual just trade it in for a pdk.

LOL
Old 09-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Mr Fish
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a GT4 which will work the same as the GT3 MT.. Initially very sceptical I quite like the ability to turn it on occasionally.

Road driving I tended to leave it off and heel and toe myself. Track driving I sometimes turned it on to reduce the chance of a slight mismatch when you are at 10/10ths.

Even if it is on you can still heel and toe and you will just realise as it adds a few more revs if you under blipped!

Overall a very good system by Porsche where the default is OFF. All the Sport button does is turn on auto blip and opens the third rad to run an 85deg cooling regime. the car will run the cooler regime any how if you drive aggressively.

Overall very pleased.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Warning: NOT a PDK vs MT Debate please.

Just wanting a clearer understanding about what some of us who are choosing MT should expect.

There's a lot of debate about the MT and it being able to provide an "enhanced" driving experience and help develop traditional driving skills.

I'm just trying to better understand what newer technologies like "Auto-Rev-Matching" mean and how they may "enhance" or dilute the driving experience, or perception of it.

- The new .2 MT employs "Auto-Rev-Matching", does that render heel-toe technique irrelevant? If so, does it dilute the driving experience?

I do have a MT .2 coming and am trying to filter hype about it from fact. I would ideally like a Man-DK transmission!
I love the rev match on my GT4 (fast and crisp matches), and hate it on my M2 (sluggish matches). On the GT4, it can be turned on or off based on if you're in "Sport" mode or not. I leave it off on the street, and on on the track.

The rev match really makes the car a blast to drive aggressively. It makes it feel a lot more like a PDK in that the downshifts are rapid and "perfect".
Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Just to be clear: The SPORT button is solely for the purpose of turning ON/OFF the auto rev matching, and default is OFF. So really this is a moot point. If you don't like it, just don't turn it on.

I had a GT4 and liked it, but most of the time I didn't use it. I remember once driving in my surburban neighborhood arriving home after a spirited drive in the hills... a dad with a stroller crossed street in front of me and reflexively I braked and downshifted to slow down, but the auto rev blip happened upon downshifting even before releasing the clutch (as it does), and the look on the dad's face. He was pissed at me thinking I had done it on purpose to harass him. I had to roll down window and try to shout "it does it automatically!"
Old 09-04-2017, 01:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked it for street driving in my Targa4S, except when coming to a stop that I may not completely halt the car and need to shift from 2nd to first. At such low speed, the auto blip was uncalled for and jerked the car; and as Montoya said, a soft DIY blip (or none really at a few mph speed), would be preferable but we can't have it all.
I think (aka my opinion) for street driving, heal/toe will get old quick but on track, I can see how the auto blip would take away from the fun, for those who have perfected it.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The auto blip on my former gt4 worked well but I prefer to ht manually.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Haku,you have made the right choice IMO. I think you're really going to enjoy the overall experience. You have the best of both worlds : you can turn the feature off and practice your heel/toe,whether on the track or street
Or
you can have the computer doing it for you if that's what you prefer or feel like it at times...
There's really no downside to this feature.

Quick Reply: NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match