NEED HELP! .1GT3 Engine Ticking Noise at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM
steveliu
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! .1GT3 Engine Ticking Noise at Idle

Hey guys,

I have been experienced some ticking noise from my GT3 lately. The car is 2014 E and has 16000km on the clock. The noise is very noticeable at idle from out side of the car. Sometimes It clears itself after couple restarts. But it comes back after some city driving.

Does the noise have something to do with the FF and CAM? Anyone who had the engine issue also experience this particular noise? I also noticed my car idles a bit higher at around 800 rpm. It used to be solid at 750 rpm. I could be wrong though.

Here is a video.

Last edited by steveliu; 08-22-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I had this issue in my 987 Spyder a few weeks ago. I drove around the block and that seem to solve the problem my guess is just forcing oil up to the cams with pressure. The car had been sitting for sometime
Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 AM
steveliu
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Waxer
I had this issue in my 987 Spyder a few weeks ago. I drove around the block and that seem to solve the problem my guess is just forcing oil up to the cams with pressure. The car had been sitting for sometime
Thanks for the reply! It seems that I haven't driven my car enough.
Have you changed the spark plug? Should I do that? It has been 3 years since I bought the car. But the service bullet said change spark plug every 20000km. Nothing about time interval.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steveliu
Thanks for the reply! It seems that I haven't driven my car enough.
Have you changed the spark plug? Should I do that? It has been 3 years since I bought the car. But the service bullet said change spark plug every 20000km. Nothing about time interval.
For US, the interval is every 2 yrs if I remember correctly. I changed the plugs on my GT3.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:09 PM
steveliu
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RajDatta
For US, the interval is every 2 yrs if I remember correctly. I changed the plugs on my GT3.
Thanks!Do you guys in the US have "intermediate" service? My car says it's due this Sept. Does that service includes spark plugs?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:02 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Two year bump...did you find out what was causing that ticking?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine "ticks" like that (and more) anytime it is really warmed-up. Especially noticeable in a confined space, like a garage w/ noise reverberating off the walls.

To me, it sounds like BBs bouncing around on a hot frying pan.

Dealer said it is just one of the those noises that this engine makes, some more than others.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Yeah same here. After a drive when it's fully warmed, in the garage or with driver window down at idle. The exact sound in the video. I know these engines make a lot of noises but why do some make this noise and others don't? Glad to hear your dealer said it was normal though. Might save me a trip down there now.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:48 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

From experience.

I know this is an old thread but here to help.

If you want that noise to go away pull the center breadbox exhaust and re install.

Most of the time that noise will go away. It's in the exhaust. Not the engine.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcusG
From experience.

If you want that noise to go away pull the center breadbox exhaust and re install.

Well I have a center and side muffler bypass. Op had stock exhaust and my car makes the identical noise so I assumed it was an engine sound.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Yes.

I thought the same. I have an RSS crossover center but have retained the side cats. Have swapped them out a few times trying different combinations and get that same sound from time to time but after readjusting the exhaust I can make the ticking go away. There's a lot of movement with the exhaust and depending on if you use the hard mount or not at the center behind the tips really affects how the exhaust rides along with the car. If it's not just right you can get buzzing and ticking.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:34 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Oh yea, I'm on the F motor with 53,000 miles.

Last edited by MarcusG; 08-24-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:08 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

I heard the same with both the Cayman R and the GT4 and I was told both times it was the injectors. Ticking paranoia started for me with the 996. I was told it was a valve tappet until I sent a rod thru the case. The GT3 makes so many different sounds it's hard to worry about any of them. (and the warranty doesn't hurt either LOL)

Last edited by RDCR; 08-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:10 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I have a SOUL center bypass and car still ticks when engine warmed-up

Originally Posted by MarcusG
From experience.

In fact, I waited several months to install the center pipe for fear dealer would blame it for the ticking. Finally, brought the car in w/ the OE center muffler still in place, and was told that sound is normal. Then, I replaced center muffler w/ the SOUL bypass pipe and the mechanical ticking noise was there just like before. Thus, from my experience, the ticking noise is not coming from the center muffler or aftermarket pipe. I pressed a wooden dowel against various parts of the underside of the engine and you wouldn't believe all the different harmonics/thumping that goes on down there. That ticking noise is definitely coming from within the engine.

BTW: the SOUL bypass transforms the exhaust note. Car no longer sounds like a blender. More like a chainsaw on steroids.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:02 PM
s2kmunop
Rennlist Member

Well it seems like the consensus is it's normal. I never had this specific noise with my cayman gts so I wasn't sure what noises were normal with a GT3 engine.

I have the Soul center bypass as well (sides too) and wow does it sound angry. Loved hearing all the mechanical sounds with the stock exhaust but the overall sound was definitely lacking.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! .1GT3 Engine Ticking Noise at Idle