Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 @ Laguna - the sound of silence!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:42 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default GT3 @ Laguna - the sound of silence!

two weeks ago I had the pleasure of bringing my new to me 2015 GT3 to a Laguna track day hosted by PCA GGR. I've been tracking this car on/off for the past year and simply love the car out on track. I acquired the car with 3700'ish miles on it from previous owner who had done all the modifications you want to this type of car:

full clear body wrap
roll bar
sports seats (factory installed)
sports chrono
side deleted mufflers

the car is sweet, fast, and very very good looking in the agate grey.

as some of you know my experience at Laguna is extensive and I've run the track with various cars for many years. Many of your know Laguna is also notorious for it's sound restrictions which are heavily enforced.

I was to learn is that a 2015 911 GT3 (991) and Laguna can not be friends. Through the course of the day I got pop'd for sound with my car even though I was trying to be good (upshifting, lifting and cruising past the sound booth)…

I still got pop'd for sound with a reported 101.9 in the morning, and again later in the day 98.4 using my "modified" sound booth technique.

I was distraught, I love laguna, like to go there often and it's my "home" track in that it's about 1 hour (or less with creativity) so it's an easy track day for me.

While I was at the track there was another 991 GT3 and it was not having sound problems. So I visited the driver and he told me that they were testing a new center stack OEM replacement muffler from Dundon Motorsports - both he and his coach were having a blast and they were ripping by the sound booth in 3rd gear full throttle and making Laguna sound (92 DB) no problem!

http://www.dundonmotorsports.com

a few text messages later and a pleasant "thank you very much" I was on the phone with the friendly and awesome people at Dundon motorsports.

I explained to Dundon that I had another track day coming up with Fast Toys Club and I also had promised a friend he could share the car with me that day so I didn't want to cancel. Dundon explained to me their muffler was under development, but if I wanted I could "borrow" one of the prototypes as long as I would send it back and pay shipping as such. Not wanting to to cancel on my friend and desperate for a solution (as I wish to return to Laguna in the future) I agreed.

A few days later and a few texts later my car is at BR Racing in Los Gatos having a prototype Dundon Motorsports center stack muffler installed for my upcoming track day! BRR notes it's heavy duty and heavy - but install is easy and upon first ignition after install we immediately notice the car is much quieter, but still sounds good.

My particular car was of interest to Dundon because they have no testing with a 991 GT3 with the side mufflers removed. So armed with a new muffler I attend Fast Toys Club track day with POC @ Laguna and me and my friend take it easy for the morning.

It's a stunning friday (aug. 4th) at Laguna, no fog, high clouds, sunny, humid and hot! I take it easy in the morning, and with the POC team there practicing for their saturday and sunday races the sound booth is busy, and Fast Toys Club Ferrari and Lambo is also becoming friends with the sound booth staff. Many Many times I'm noting black flags at turn 9 worker station, but so far never for myself or my car - other guys are popping sound but no me, but I've been taking it easy.

As the day progresses I gingerly up my game - taking it harder and harder between turn 5 & 6 - no black flag, harder, no black flag, harder faster, no black flag. By the end of the day I'm on full pace between turn 5 &6, 3rd gear full throttle no lift, no worry, sooooooo much fun (and car still sounds awesome!)

The test with the Dundon motorsports center stack muffler is a complete success! 92 DB day at Laguna with sound being pop'd on all comers, but I'm good - a complete reversal of fortunes from the previous two weeks with PCA GGR. I even do some personal testing (uncalibrated) with my sound meter app while my friend is in the car blowing by me under full throttle on the front straight with me by the side of cold pit - several clean runs of my car past me (wrong side since the laguna tips are aimed towards me) 91-93 DB peak under full throttle standing about 30 feet from the car as it rips by.

Here is a link to some video of me in my car with Dundon's center stack muffler entering/exiting turn 5 - what is interesting about this video is it will note my hands staying on the wheel the entire turn and _NOT_ reaching for an upshift - this is turn 5 @ Laguna, this is me, this is a 991 GT3, and there is no upshift - I now have full confidence and I'm pushing hard (since I was chasing one of the POC guys in their race car)

So long story - successful outcome - but if you want to quiet down your 991 GT3 the Dundon motorsport center stack muffler passed sound (92 DB) @ Laguna all day long with no problems - this bodes well for other tracks and the ever tightening sound restricts at Laguna and other tracks. I high recommend this muffler if you want to track your GT3 or simply mellow it out a little bit around town.

2015 911 GT3 side mufflers deleted with Dundon motorsports center stack muffler and laguna tips.

NOTE: as with all things in motorsports this was not a paid advertisement (oh how much unpaid this is, so much unpaid) Dundon has provided consideration for my report in that: (a) they worked with me to expedite my install and (b) have agreed to let me pay them to keep the prototype muffler they sent me (cause I'm so happy with it) - the testimony I've provided is honest, accurate and freely given and Dundon has been super nice to deal with for this entire experience. They saved a track day which in of it self is no big deal, but this one mattered for me since I had been promising my friend his track day for several months and canceling on him would've been a big let down - we all know how busy we all are and planning and logistics make finding time for friends, family and leisure and opportunities for track days like this are harder than it sounds.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 08-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

about to head out on track - woot for track days!

Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

http://www.dundonmotorsports.com

for all your trackday muffler needs! I hear it also works for 997's…contact them - they're great - it worked for me!
Old 08-05-2017, 12:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

good day!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

bump for those that missed the posting the 1st time.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

reference Dundon's discussion of this specific muffler - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...7-991-a-3.html
Old 08-08-2017, 01:27 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Any reason you didn't try the GPS box solutions available?
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DaveO! I love the car and love the post. Let's go for a drive soon
Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I opt'd for the muffler solution so that I have reduced sound everywhere - not just specific GPS locations - and besides Laguna does have a "mobile" sound meter and they've been known to bust it out from time to time…any how I prefer having a quieter (but still awesome sounding) car.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks David for the willingness to try our prototype! Happy everything worked out! May be a good solution for cup cars as well, but we'll get there one step at a time...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 08-16-2017, 03:02 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Moving these to production by the end of the week, finalized tip pictures and intro pricing soon!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Guys,

We're taking preorders for those that want to secure an Orange (quiet) or Black (loud) Lifetime Center Muffler. We're starting with a total of a 50pc batch, so don't wait, we already have 20 guys signed up!

We have the parts inbound and should have them in about 3 weeks. From there assembly begins, so we're shooting for the end of October, early November to begin shipments.

Again to summarize:
321 Stainless Steel Construction
Louder than OEM (Black)
Quieter than OEM (Orange) options
Lifetime Guarantee
4" tips in PVD Black
Optional Turnaways at additional cost for the track guys.

Here's the link to our website.
http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/por...center-muffler

Last edited by Jamie@dundonmotorsports; 06-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

bump - I have moved on to a 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 991.2 - having great success with Dundon for the .1 GT3 @ Laguna the muffler was one of the first non-OEM products I ordered (given that Laguna is a local track for me) - I can report that my new shiny blue .2 passed 92 DB sound all weekend at Laguna with the Dundon quiet muffler!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:44 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

bump - PCA CCCR 1st Annual Laguna Seca DE event

4 991.x GT3's were present
2 storm trooper white GT3's 991.1's
1 black 2019 GT3 RS
and my Blue '18 991.2 GT3

during the day my car was the ONLY GT3 that could run a full session due to the 92 DB sound limits - even with heavy lifting and GPS based sound limited - all 3 GT3's could not complete a full session before the dreaded black flag would come out - I however was able to run full tilt past the sound booth in 3rd gear flat throttle and had a great day!

I can highly recommend the dundon motorsports quiet 991 muffler - it saves track days!

pics below - you can see it was a perfect day at Laguna and the track was fast and fun!

thanks Dundon!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

also in November 2018 at the PCA Diablo event - I was able to pass sound at a 90 DB day shortly before thanksgiving.

If you need to quiet your GT3 for your local track - the Dundon muffler is a great option - get your's installed today! And run worry free at your local track!

here is the video from that day - note the full no-lift throttle past the sound booth on this very quiet 90 DB limit day!

Quick Reply: GT3 @ Laguna - the sound of silence!