Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks Jamie
Old 07-14-2017, 12:24 AM
shogun974
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work Jamie.

I'am waiting for the louder version.

It's stange to say but even with your raceheader fitted with the oem silencer, the car is too quiet for me.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 AM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm likely in - I don't care much about sound, but really don't like the idea of a very loud car attracting unwanted attention from the popo.

I have Fabspeed side can deletes - so quieter version for me, as long as no HP/Torque loss.

Did you guys mention weight vs stock center muffler? I saw your SS version was same as SS OEM. We have Titanium center muffler though right?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:42 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you provide some measurements of static noise as well, this is how it is measured on local tracks for both DE and licenced race cars:

4500rpm
0,5m and 45 degree angle from exhaust tips.

Most local tracks has a limit of 100dB measured this way, which is barely passed with a 997.1 GT3 (SW 3.9l) with side delete and OEM center exhaust.

Very interested if it reduce noise and has no drone even with side deletes, especially if flow is better than OEM.

Thx.

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Just finished some track side testing:

Conditions: Clear skies, 75F, 50ft measuring distance on the front straight
991 GT3 Dundon Race Headers (catless, w/ side deletes)
OEM Muffler: ~102dB
Ultra Quiet straight tips: ~92dB

So about a 10dB reduction. With Turn aways would likely be 3-4dB further reduction.

PLEASE DON"T TAKE THESE AS ABSOLUTE MEASUREMENTS. How sound levels are measured, weather conditions, tip orientation, etc... have a HUGE effect on the absolute number.

We have further testing to do on it, should have a loud version to play with at the end of the week.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:10 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by orthofrancis
I'm likely in - I don't care much about sound, but really don't like the idea of a very loud car attracting unwanted attention from the popo.

I have Fabspeed side can deletes - so quieter version for me, as long as no HP/Torque loss.

Did you guys mention weight vs stock center muffler? I saw your SS version was same as SS OEM. We have Titanium center muffler though right?
Originally Posted by John Chan
I am in
No loss of HP/TQ, is quieter for the quiet version. Weight is the same as stock. If you have 997.2 RS then you have Ti stock. We're evaluating Ti vs Inconnel for longevity and light weight performance for the next version!

Originally Posted by runet
Can you provide some measurements of static noise as well, this is how it is measured on local tracks for both DE and licenced race cars:

4500rpm
0,5m and 45 degree angle from exhaust tips.

Most local tracks has a limit of 100dB measured this way, which is barely passed with a 997.1 GT3 (SW 3.9l) with side delete and OEM center exhaust.

Very interested if it reduce noise and has no drone even with side deletes, especially if flow is better than OEM.

Thx.
We can do this sure thing. to get rid of drone with the side deletes you need valved side deletes and to use both the top and bottom holes in the muffler!

Free revving at 4500rpm 0.5m and 45 degree angle?
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by shogun974
Good work Jamie.

I'am waiting for the louder version.

It's stange to say but even with your raceheader fitted with the oem silencer, the car is too quiet for me.
If it's not loud enough, you can disconnect the valves, will be a bit louder at idle, just make sure to plug the vacuum line!

Originally Posted by John Chan
I am in
You're part of the test pilot crew!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 AM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

So when might you guys be making them? I'm a bit unhappy with the volume increase of my side deletes. If it's quieter, then I'm happy, and I imagine a fair amount of others as well.

Not to mention decreasing track volume problems.

I want to be one of the cool kids who are in as well.

thanks
-Francis
Old 07-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I could be in if it accepts OEM tips, and will pass Laguna Seca sound...
Old 07-23-2017, 06:44 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Free revving at 4500rpm 0.5m and 45 degree angle?
Yes, we just bring the revs up slowly to 4500 rpm while the marshal holds the meter on a stick giving the correct distance and angle - or at least that is how it should be done.

Most of the time they just wing it while we cheat with the revs, but thats another story :-D.

The interesting thing is of course the difference in noise between OEM exhaust and yours, and this method is very easy for testing purposes.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by runet
Yes, we just bring the revs up slowly to 4500 rpm while the marshal holds the meter on a stick giving the correct distance and angle - or at least that is how it should be done.

Most of the time they just wing it while we cheat with the revs, but thats another story :-D.

The interesting thing is of course the difference in noise between OEM exhaust and yours, and this method is very easy for testing purposes.
Will work to get some data soon! Seems easy enough...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

"Loud" Center muffler finishing up fab work this week, and the 2nd quiet muffler will be heading to BR Racing next week for one of their customers. We'll have two Quiet prototypes being torture tested at Laguna on the 4th of August. One on a 991 GT3 with Side Muffler Deletes, and one on a 997.2 GT3
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

"Loud" Center muffler finishing up fab work this week, and the 2nd quiet muffler will be heading to BR Racing next week for one of their customers. We'll have two Quiet prototypes being torture tested at Laguna on the 4th of August. One on a 991 GT3 with Side Muffler Deletes, and one on a 997.2 GT3
be very interested to hear the results of this... presume the 997 also has side delete?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 PM
shogun974
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not loud enough, you can disconnect the valves, will be a bit louder at idle, just make sure to plug the vacuum line!

OH no.

Please do not misunderstand me: Sound is good and I really like it. It's perfectly balanced and perfectly streetable.
I don't want more sound à low rpm.

I would like to keep it as quiet as possible at low speed and more loud at WOT and high range rpm.

What are your lound version catacteristics?
Will it be loud everytime or just at wot?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by shogun974
OH no.

Please do not misunderstand me: Sound is good and I really like it. It's perfectly balanced and perfectly streetable.
I don't want more sound à low rpm.

I would like to keep it as quiet as possible at low speed and more loud at WOT and high range rpm.

What are your lound version catacteristics?
Will it be loud everytime or just at wot?
Loud version will be louder at WOT, should be about the same around town as the factory muffler. Most customers that don't need to pass dB limits at tracks will likely want the "loud" version. I'll get some video of it once back from a business trip... Testing the quiet muffler and our catted headers on the 991 this Friday, should be the quietest setup for those that want more power!

Quick Reply: Dundon 321SS Lifetime Center Muffler for 997/991