Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIP Glass Cover in extreme heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM
kurbycar32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIP Glass Cover in extreme heat

I bought the HIP glass engine cover for my 2009 Cayman S and installed it a few weeks ago. Before I pulled the trigger I checked the reviews on rennlist and found that most users did not experience a big change in heat radiation and only a minor increase in cabin volume. Lately its been well over 100 degrees here and what I am finding is that if I park the car with a hot motor on a 111 degree day for example the heat radiates off of or through the glass afterwards, you can feel it radiate from behind the headrest. On cooler days this doesn't seem to happen or at least its not noticable. Does anyone else have this experience or tips on solving this problem? I drive this car every day so unless I can solve this problem I might need to get rid of this brand new cover.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kurbycar32
I bought the HIP glass engine cover for my 2009 Cayman S and installed it a few weeks ago. Before I pulled the trigger I checked the reviews on rennlist and found that most users did not experience a big change in heat radiation and only a minor increase in cabin volume. Lately its been well over 100 degrees here and what I am finding is that if I park the car with a hot motor on a 111 degree day for example the heat radiates off of or through the glass afterwards, you can feel it radiate from behind the headrest. On cooler days this doesn't seem to happen or at least its not noticable. Does anyone else have this experience or tips on solving this problem? I drive this car every day so unless I can solve this problem I might need to get rid of this brand new cover.
No experience with a clear cover, but I'm not surprised to hear that the clear cover allows heat to radiate through to a large extent. I'm sure you saw how much foam insulation was on the carpet cover you removed when you installed your clear cover.
Maybe you could fabricate some kind of insulated carpet cover to lay on top of the clear cover for use on those daily drives in the summertime.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad the glass was not coated with a low-e coating. There are aftermarket films that have this feature. Might be worth a try.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM
kurbycar32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Too bad the glass was not coated with a low-e coating. There are aftermarket films that have this feature. Might be worth a try.
Yes this might be a good lead. I spent yesterday looking at mostly clear heat shielding window tint from 3m.

Quick Reply: HIP Glass Cover in extreme heat