Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which type of coilover are you interested in purchasing through a group buy?
KW V1s
0%
KW V3s
25.00%
ST Suspension X
12.50%
Bilstein PSS9s
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Coilover Group Buy Interest: 987

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:31 PM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coilover Group Buy Interest: 987

I am shopping for coilovers for my 987.2 (non-pasm) and would like to see if anyone else is also shopping around. If so, let's try to get a group-buy going! Vote on the suspension make & model that you'd like to run, and we can collectively discuss reaching out to potential vendors regarding the model(s) that most of us are interested in. All information below relates to non-PASM setups:
  • KW Version 1
  • KW Version 3
  • ST Suspension ST X
  • Blistein B16 PSSS9

KW Version 1
Spring Rate: 14kg / ~18kg
Height Adjustability:1.1" - 2.4"
Damping Adjustability: None
Price: $2,100 - $2,300
Top Hats Provided?: No

Name:  jReaXpV.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  12.6 KB
KW Version 3
Height Adjustability:1.2" - 2.3"
Damping Adjustability: Independent rebound and compression adjustability
Price: $2,800 - $3,200

Name:  jPAmCxq.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  25.7 KB
ST Suspension X
Height Adjustability:1.1" - 2.4"
Damping Adjustability: None
Price: ~$1,300
**These are also made by KW and are the same as V1s, except they are made out of a galvanized steel vs stainless steel. These may not hold up as well for those of you in colder climates

Name:  WqKWwuq.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  74.1 KB
Bilstein B16 PSSS9
Spring Rate:
Height Adjustability: 1.25" - 2.25"
Damping Adjustability: 9 Way
Price: $1,800 - $2,000

If any of the information I've listed is incorrect, please let me know and I can update. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

I would add Ohlins Road and Track on the list. Approx $2500-$2800, with good reviews. The 987.2 application should be hitting dealers about now. Im interested in hearing from the early adopters. Performance shock inc. was anticipating a few sets last I checked.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jaybird33
I would add Ohlins Road and Track on the list. Approx $2500-$2800, with good reviews. The 987.2 application should be hitting dealers about now. Im interested in hearing from the early adopters. Performance shock inc. was anticipating a few sets last I checked.
I couldn't find any cayman specific ride height range, spring rates, price, etc. Do you have any links you could share?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:20 PM
fuego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's brand new for the 987.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...ns-coming.html

If this is open to 987.1, I'm totally interested.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

I didn't read in-depth but scrolled through the thread and looks like the reviews are mixed, or there were some issues with at least one of the earlier sets. But I'll add them to the poll anyway!

---

Actually, I'm not seeing the option to edit the poll. I'll have to track this one manually
Old 07-06-2017, 05:37 PM
fuego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMMMalex
I didn't read in-depth but scrolled through the thread and looks like the reviews are mixed, or there were some issues with at least one of the earlier sets. But I'll add them to the poll anyway!

---

Actually, I'm not seeing the option to edit the poll. I'll have to track this one manually
Yes, to sum the thread: It's just now rolling out (Summer '17). The earliest kits have some missing parts or wrong parts. A user had a setup problem which was later attributed to alignment. The other 3 users who have them installed seem to like them. One user who previously had PSS9s prefers the spring rate on the Ohlins.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 PM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Looks like the PSS9s are in the lead! Let's see if we can get a couple more votes. I'm thinking once we get around 10 votes in, we can begin discussing reaching out to vendors.

FYI so everyone is comfortable, I'm more than happy to let someone else reach out to the vendors as opposed to me. I know people get a little worried about money / product issues when it comes to a group buy so I wanted to throw that out there. But of course, I am also happy to reach out to the vendor myself.

I was thinking once we got a decent amount of folks interested, we'd reach out to some vendors and see if any of them would be interested in creating a group-buy thread. That way, everyone is purchasing items directly from the vendor.

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions about how to go about this. This is my first time "coordinating" something like this, so not sure if there is a more effective way to execute.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 PM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Approaching the 1 month mark here so I'm thinking we should wrap this up pretty soon. Going to post this on a couple FB pages in case there is any additional interest.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 AM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

If you've voted on this, or if you're interested in helping organize this, can you shoot me a PM? We should prob start reaching out to vendors.

Quick Reply: Coilover Group Buy Interest: 987