Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye 911 - Hi Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:03 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Volnomad
My GTS also has PASM Sport Suspension, like yours, but no PTV.
There's no 'PASM Sport Suspension' on our cars brother; it's either PASM (with a shock 4th button on the console), or SS/X73 (only 3 buttons on each side, like mine). Only the GT4 has it (plus -30mm, instead of -20 for X73 or -10 for PASM). So which one do you have? Finally, if your wife's car has the base suspension, your GTS (especially if it has X73) is the better track car, no doubt.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:03 AM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
I'm driving a 991.1 C4S (power kit, SPASM, PDK, PTV, etc) and a Cayman GTS (manual, analog sport suspension, absolutely no PTV). The Cayman is the better 911.
The Cayman wins handling, sound, design (exterior and interior), and "sports car size" categories. The 991 wins the power and the "incredible grip when accelerating out of a turn" categories. I love both, but prefer the Cayman.
Originally Posted by master_jcp
Great car! Love the combo of the Color and the wheels! Very unique! Never seen it before. My neighbour changed also from 987.1 CS to 997.2 C4S to 991.1 C4S back to a Cayman 981.1 GTS 2 month ago.
Originally Posted by digistyl3
Just beautiful! Congrats!

The Cayman GTS was the first, and most fun Porsche I ever drove. I have a GT4, but the limits are so high, that it's difficult to enjoy it on public roads. I'm very tempted to get a lightly used GTS, and drive it non-stop
ALL of this! +3
Old 12-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
There's no 'PASM Sport Suspension' on our cars brother; it's either PASM (with a shock 4th button on the console), or SS/X73 (only 3 buttons on each side, like mine). Only the GT4 has it (plus -30mm, instead of -20 for X73 or -10 for PASM). So which one do you have? Finally, if your wife's car has the base suspension, your GTS (especially if it has X73) is the better track car, no doubt.
Yes, I have the X73 Sport Suspension Option, as does the original poster who asked the question. I have not tracked my car, and the track comment was in regards to a demo PDK equipped 718 Boxster S with PASM, not to my wife's car.

Last edited by Volnomad; 12-31-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:48 PM
Donnie C
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I've already had to dig leaves out of the intakes twice. I will check out the Sunsport screens. Thanks for the suggestion. Need to replace the side marker lights too.
The front screens I have are from ZunSport -- a UK outfit.
+1 on the clear side lights -- those should be able to get from Suncoast Porsche. -- they have a very active internet parts outreach. www.suncoast.com
have fun with that GTS.
--- I have the PDK with X73 sport suspension and PTV.. corners flat and with confidence.
D
Old 12-31-2016, 02:35 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by Donnie C
The front screens I have are from ZunSport -- a UK outfit.
+1 on the clear side lights -- those should be able to get from Suncoast Porsche. -- they have a very active internet parts outreach. www.suncoast.com
have fun with that GTS.
--- I have the PDK with X73 sport suspension and PTV.. corners flat and with confidence.
D
Haha. I was thinking of going to Suncoast.com to get ZunSport and ended up with SunSport. PTV is the only option I wish I had on my GTS. Not going to take it to the track anytime soon, but if I ever do, it would be a good option to have.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:17 PM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Haha. I was thinking of going to Suncoast.com to get ZunSport and ended up with SunSport. PTV is the only option I wish I had on my GTS. Not going to take it to the track anytime soon, but if I ever do, it would be a good option to have.
I have PTV and you cannot feel it at all on the road, no matter how hard you drive. You can feel the LSD out of a slow corner when the car starts to straighten up though.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Rebel yel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny... I was looking at interior pics of the gts for about a year and always thought the interior was grey / dark gray. I was at the dealership signing my life away when the Finance Guy completes the registration and I incorrectly tell him the interior is not black, but grey. Pictures do not do the interior justice. The Black alacantara is beautiful and rich looking.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:56 PM
brixtonforged
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After several years of driving gently pre-owned 911 P-cars, I saw a Cayman GTS with MT and only 2400 miles that I loved and decided to try something different for awhile. Have to say, I really love it. Fits me like a glove. Right-sized, I would say, unlike the 991 model 911 cars that have grown to GT car length and width (no offense to 991 owners; I like them too). Here's a dealer photo to prove it to you skeptics out there!

Wow, I can see why you fell in love!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 PM
rwm
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default No Soul

I too have traded my 991 for a Cayman. I bought a 2013 991.1 S PDK back in September 2016. Great looking car with stunning looks. (Black/tan)
Why did I get rid of it? Short answer - not fun to drive!
Porsche has engineered the soul out of them.

I bought a 2016 Cayman GTS.
This is, to me, what a Porsche should be. The Cayman is my fifth Porsche and by far the best since my 1997 993 S.

Just plan fun to drive! RWM
Old 03-26-2017, 10:24 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Cayman GTS, for me, is one of the Porsche sweet spots. Its not only a great looking car, it has a great interior and is at home on the road or the track. I purchased my GTS in preference to the 991.1 C/C2S which I felt was underdone in both handling and usable power.

The size comments are interesting, I have a 991.2 C2S that is parked next to the GTS and its very hard to tell the difference in terms of size. The C2S, once inside, feels much bigger largely because of the space allocated to the rear seats. In contrast the GTS feels like its wrapped around you. An intimate and old school sports car feel.

In terms of handling, I have PTV and PASM on the GTS and it works so well. However, the .2C2S with PASM, E-PTV and RAS definitely out handles the GTS (its the RAS thats the real game changer) - Porsche really stepped it up a notch (and they really had too).

Congratulations on your purchase, its a gem and I can tell you this, there is no way that I'm selling my GTS its a keeper
Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Volnomad
Racer

Originally Posted by randr
The Cayman GTS, for me, is one of the Porsche sweet spots. Its not only a great looking car, it has a great interior and is at home on the road or the track. I purchased my GTS in preference to the 991.1 C/C2S which I felt was underdone in both handling and usable power.

The size comments are interesting, I have a 991.2 C2S that is parked next to the GTS and its very hard to tell the difference in terms of size. The C2S, once inside, feels much bigger largely because of the space allocated to the rear seats. In contrast the GTS feels like its wrapped around you. An intimate and old school sports car feel.

In terms of handling, I have PTV and PASM on the GTS and it works so well. However, the .2C2S with PASM, E-PTV and RAS definitely out handles the GTS (its the RAS thats the real game changer) - Porsche really stepped it up a notch (and they really had too).

Congratulations on your purchase, its a gem and I can tell you this, there is no way that I'm selling my GTS its a keeper
Nice comparison, and thanks for the positive comments. I had a Graphite Blue 991.2 C2S with manual tranny for a few weeks before I went with the Cayman GTS. The 911 was an amazing car and would certainly destroy the Cayman in any performance test. But, it was just too much car for the street, and I didn't want to putter around like I was driving a Cadillac (no offense to Cadillac owners, but you know what I mean). The Cayman was just more fun. So, I'm still happy with my decision.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:45 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Rhodium for the win! Nice car!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:04 PM
996sweden72
Track Day

wow sweet ride, congrats and enjoy..

My cars
AUDI R8 V8 rtronic
987 Cayman R
ML 350 AMG
VW VR6 superlegera 8 hrs race car

Previous, to mention a few
Porsche 944, 2xBoxster S 986, 996 C2, Boxster 987 S, 997 S.
Ferrari 458
XKR 2010
BMW M5 E34 , M3 E46
and a whole bunch of other cars....
Old 08-02-2018, 02:04 PM
dandreassen
8th Gear

Where do you purchase these grill screens at?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2018, 02:09 PM
dandreassen
8th Gear

Default Where do you find the grill screens?

Yeah, I've already had to dig leaves out of the intakes twice. I will check out the Sunsport screens. Thanks for the suggestion. Need to replace the side marker lights too.
Where do you find the Sunsport Screens? I did a search and did not find them?
Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Bye 911 - Hi Cayman GTS