Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO and extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Look up what these cars cost New, then ask yourself, if you could comfortably afford to buy a car fro $75,000-$85,000-$105,000.. would you care lose any sleep over a failed engine or transmission?

Just because these cars depreciate $30,000-$50,000-$60,000 over 6-7 years, doesnt mean the buyer gets to complain about chances of engine trans failures and its related cost

A nicely equipped Honda accord now costs $32,000.. After 5-6 years of ownership, if the accord engine/trans DID let go, the owner SHOULD be able to pay for the repair without going broke

Repair/Repalcement of each product is based on (among other things) the buying power of relative customer. A ferrari owner would be over the moon if he had to the same as a Porsche owner for an engine replacement. All things are relative
If people only buy in their own buying segment, the logic of "own what you can afford to repair and replace" would work wonderfully.. and those smart enough, content enough to live by that logic, are winning at life..
Just because the bean counters have used creative math to put more unattainable things within an arms reach of those who really can't afford them, doesnt mean people should take the bait.
those trying to stay with the joneses are paying the price.
they just dont know it.. Whether its buy buying over priced expensive warranties, or by trading cars in every 4 years just to have the piece of mind of a warranty and having a car payment for Life and never owning anything.. the price is still being paid..

the statements are based on facts, sales figures of increasingly heavy sub-luxury car market and experience. they aren't directed to you.. its sadly how things are
I feel that the more I pay, the more I should get. A Lexus can cost $100k also, and cost a great deal to repair, but these repairs are uncommon and come late in life. The cost of the car, new, shouldn't dictate the cost to repair either. A million dollar gold chain cost the same to repair as a $1000 gold chain.

Edit: Having the ability to pay shouldn't mean that one just accepts that his water pump went out at 30k miles and cost $2k to do. Now, tires and brakes are expected to wear fast and cost a lot because of the way the car was designed to operate.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I feel that the more I pay, the more I should get. A Lexus can cost $100k also, and cost a great deal to repair, but these repairs are uncommon and come late in life. The cost of the car, new, shouldn't dictate the cost to repair either. A million dollar gold chain cost the same to repair as a $1000 gold chain.

Edit: Having the ability to pay shouldn't mean that one just accepts that his water pump went out at 30k miles and cost $2k to do. Now, tires and brakes are expected to wear fast and cost a lot because of the way the car was designed to operate.
The more you pay, the More you SHOUDL expect YES.. if that MORE was paid towards a product that was MORE because of reliability.. None of the performance brand ever claim More reliability, they claim more performance, and one doesnt have to have an engineering degree to understand that More of anything in an equation may mean less of something else..

We are talking about products that are pushing the envelops of engineering and walking the fine line between reliability and squeezing every ounce of performance out of every piece that makes them whole

I dont think you and I are talking about similar products...

Back when I started racing motorcycles (1992-93-94), Scott Russel was racing a World Superbike at International level with a Kawasaki Motorcycle that had 200 HP
Now my off-the-show-room, stock Ducati 1199 has 205 HP.. AND its more fuel efficient, cleaner for the environment than the professionally built race bike - How do you think that happened.
That happened by pushing the envelop of engineering. That happened by giving UP some reliability for some performance.
Cubic inches for Cubic inches and kilo for kilo, performance German cars make more HP and achieve More from less.. always have.. and they have done that by using parts that need to run at their optimum.
Is it possible that Life cycle on parts is far less because they are being pushed to achieve something other manufacturers aren't willing to , able to, need to?
Is it possible those wear items are "wearing" because they are being used/pushed more in Said product than the rivals?
Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by desmotesta
The more you pay, the More you SHOUDL expect YES.. if that MORE was paid towards a product that was MORE because of reliability.. None of the performance brand ever claim More reliability, they claim more performance, and one doesnt have to have an engineering degree to understand that More of anything in an equation may mean less of something else..

We are talking about products that are pushing the envelops of engineering and walking the fine line between reliability and squeezing every ounce of performance out of every piece that makes them whole

I dont think you and I are talking about similar products...

Back when I started racing motorcycles (1992-93-94), Scott Russel was racing a World Superbike at International level with a Kawasaki Motorcycle that had 200 HP
Now my off-the-show-room, stock Ducati 1199 has 205 HP.. AND its more fuel efficient, cleaner for the environment than the professionally built race bike - How do you think that happened.
That happened by pushing the envelop of engineering. That happened by giving UP some reliability for some performance.
Cubic inches for Cubic inches and kilo for kilo, performance German cars make more HP and achieve More from less.. always have.. and they have done that by using parts that need to run at their optimum.
Is it possible that Life cycle on parts is far less because they are being pushed to achieve something other manufacturers aren't willing to , able to, need to?
Is it possible those wear items are "wearing" because they are being used/pushed more in Said product than the rivals?
😊 I have an Engineering degree, so I do understand performance very well. But Engineers also need to justify every expense incurred in a project. That is why I give the poor tire life a pass.

Seeing as that we are in the Boxster/Cayman forum, we know that Porsche has dialed back the performance of the engines. We aren't on the cutting edge here like the 911 turbo S may be. Lexus dumbs down their engines as well, which probably explains their reliability.

I stand and by my point that a well maintained Boxster shouldn't have expensive rebuilds at "early" milestones. I'm all for spending money on maintenance, but expensive rebuilds on maintained parts means something isn't lining up.

Having said aid all of that, most people here probably would agree that their Boxster or cayman probably has been pretty reliable given proper maintenance.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Mark Bryant
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - so thanks for everyone's input. Going to cancel this extended warranty.

On a side note - I purchased a car with CPO to not have to worry about making costly repairs (unforeseen non wear items) on my purchase. I think during the paper work signing and being at the dealer longer than I wanted to, I just decided that since its refundable I can go ahead and sleep on it.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't wait until the CPO expires to shop for a warranty. Fidelity Platinum warranties are "exclusionary" warranties. That means unless it specifically says in the paperwork it is NOT covered, it is. Any dealership, VW, Chevrolet, Porsche can sell Fidelity warranties for any car. I bought my C4S warranty from a Chevrolet dealership. Negotiate as these are high profit items for dealerships. I just 2 months ago negotiated a $7K warranty down to $3,222 for a Boxster S. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:48 AM
mbsl98
Intermediate

No one has mentioned it, but I believe it is likely that the CPO warranty and the extra Extended warranty will just duplicate coverage for most of the covered items in the first 2+ years untii the CPO expires. Most do not start their 5 year (or whatever stated number of years you bought) coverage after some intervening warranty, but start that clock ticking when you buy it. Could be wrong on that, but It is correct for at least some.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:05 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

I purchased a 6-year Fidelity warranty just prior to the expiration of the new car 4-year warranty for my 2011 Boxster Spyder. I bought if from the local dealership for $4000. It is not the same as the new car bumper-to-bumper type of warranty but does give me peace of mind knowing that I am covered for what could be a big repair. I plan on doing the same for my 2015 GT3 just prior to its new car warranty expiration.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, he needs to pay for that new pool, deck, and kitchen.
spot on

to the OP:
1. *** the finance guy at the dealership
2. Wait a few months before CPO ends and Do a search in the 911 forums for Extended warranties (Easycare & Fidelity are popular)
3. *** the finance guy at the dealership
Old 12-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 514 Posts

$5k for three more years is wayyyy out-of-line. He is selling you snake oil.

And 3rd party warranties tend to be ripoffs.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
$5k for three more years is wayyyy out-of-line. He is selling you snake oil.

And 3rd party warranties tend to be ripoffs.
The problem is that a PDK or engine blowing could cost $12k or more to fix.

Wheb the day comes to either pay some asinine cost for warranty or to go it alone, I'll probably just trade up. This keeps me always having a car payment, but does insure that I don't wind up spending a ton of cash to fix an outdated car. Drawback would be getting stuck having a turbo over a NA car.

This car will never be my only car, it's more of a lifestyle expense, which is why I don't mind having a payment. Paying it off and going out of warranty, only to have a $12k repair bill to pay while gushing over the latest that Porsche has to offer really sucks.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:47 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
The problem is that a PDK or engine blowing could cost $12k or more to fix.

Wheb the day comes to either pay some asinine cost for warranty or to go it alone, I'll probably just trade up. This keeps me always having a car payment, but does insure that I don't wind up spending a ton of cash to fix an outdated car. Drawback would be getting stuck having a turbo over a NA car.

This car will never be my only car, it's more of a lifestyle expense, which is why I don't mind having a payment. Paying it off and going out of warranty, only to have a $12k repair bill to pay while gushing over the latest that Porsche has to offer really sucks.
read the 1st post. Its 5k for CPO Car- 2019.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Daniwheel
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
Don't wait until the CPO expires to shop for a warranty. Fidelity Platinum warranties are "exclusionary" warranties. That means unless it specifically says in the paperwork it is NOT covered, it is. Any dealership, VW, Chevrolet, Porsche can sell Fidelity warranties for any car. I bought my C4S warranty from a Chevrolet dealership. Negotiate as these are high profit items for dealerships. I just 2 months ago negotiated a $7K warranty down to $3,222 for a Boxster S. Good luck.
I have a 2008 Boxster RS 60 Spyder and they offered me the Platinum 4yr/48k miles for $4,685 or the Gold for $2,800. I wish I was as good as negotiator as you as $3,500 for the Platinum would be ideal for me.

Cheers,
Daniel
Old 02-28-2017, 07:02 PM
johnuf78
Intermediate

You might want to double check if you an get a Fidelity warranty on a GT3. I was shopping around for GT3's and the person I always buy my warranties from said Fidelity would not cover a GT3... which then limited my options to only looking for a CPO GT3.

Originally Posted by redyps
I purchased a 6-year Fidelity warranty just prior to the expiration of the new car 4-year warranty for my 2011 Boxster Spyder. I bought if from the local dealership for $4000. It is not the same as the new car bumper-to-bumper type of warranty but does give me peace of mind knowing that I am covered for what could be a big repair. I plan on doing the same for my 2015 GT3 just prior to its new car warranty expiration.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:21 PM
968_981
Intermediate

My CPO will expire on 2019 as well. For me, it's an new experience to try and own different cars over a couple years (I wish I can get away with doing the same for girlfriends without getting into trouble from my GF of 13 years, haha). Long story short, you may change your mind down the road to upgrade to a 718 or 911, why pay for the upfront cost now and suffer depreciation not only on the car but the additional warranty as well?

Quick Reply: CPO and extended warranty?