Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Transmission emergency + reduced power before oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016 | 11:43 PM
hansvongeldern
2nd Gear

Default Transmission emergency + reduced power after oil change

Hello everybody, welcome to my very first post in rennlist.

I'm a proud owner of a Cayman S 987.2 2011 3.4 totally stock, I'm very used to do by my own simple maintenance jobs like brakes, oil change, filters, etc. but this time I hadn't enough time and space to do my oil change so decided to bring it to an oil service, terrible mistake

Inmediatly after oil change engine was very hard to turn on and the dashboard warns Transmission Emergency (white letters), and Reduced Engine Power (red letters). I thoght the worst: transmission oil drain, overfilling, etc. I Barely drove to my house and scanned it: Crankshaft Position Sensor.

The "person" who performed the oil change "accidentally" had cut the cable to the crankshaft position sensor

crankshaft position sensor cable

A new sensor spare wasn't available by this time in my town so I bought it on eBay. I'll tell you on monday if it gets fixed.

lesson learned: no work is as good as your own

Last edited by hansvongeldern; 12-09-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: wrote "before" and was "after", my mistake
Old 12-02-2016 | 01:05 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Hello and Welcome hansvongeldern.

Well durn if that is not a bummer. Hopefully the new sensor will solve your problem so you can get back on the road.

I have changed the oil in my '09 three times and have not seen that cable/sensor enough that I would actually cut it.

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 12-09-2016 | 06:48 PM
hansvongeldern
2nd Gear

Somehow cable was too close to filter... anyway, I erased the failure code and replaced the sensor (bosch 0261210300) and anything went immediately great.

By the way I decided to quit from Mobil 1 and chose Ravenol 0w40 fully synthetic. Now starting the engine became faster, idle came softer and engine now is even quicker to start. Maybe between germans get better understand each other

Quick Reply: Transmission emergency + reduced power before oil change