Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric parking brakes????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 03:33 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Unfortunately they added the hill assist feature on the 997/987 cars in 09 which means there's some electronics in these cars too.
The 'hill-assist' feature is a brake system feature (as in ABS module not releasing brake pressure), not a parking brake one.

Originally Posted by Dave H.
because in any car/truck with a parking brake foot pedal, you push it down to apply the brake, and pull the handle to release it?
EXACTLY! It's all about location of the switch (left replaces a pedal -push to engage-; console a lever -pull to engage). I've never confused it even once.

Finally, I welcome the EPB on my PDK 981 because it's fully manual, just the way I like it (thanks to PDK having a parking pawl). But it also has the best feature: if you forget to release it, it releases itself, preventing damage (oh, and it also doubles as launch-control, with less abusive revs, and totally stealth). And yes, you can also apply it under way, by pressing the button for a second or two. As far as reliability, I have to say it has to be less, but I only use it on inclines, which I typically avoid anyway. So far have used it about once every 1K miles, so not worried about that. On manual cars, it's reported it auto-engages in appropriate scenarios, so a good feature as well. You can try all possible scenarios while sitting on your car, ready to apply the brakes if needed.

Quick Reply: Electric parking brakes????