Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Boxster S Roof/Door leak, wet carpet

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 08:11 AM
reallyfree
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 Boxster S Roof/Door leak, wet carpet

Hi newbie here with a 2005 987 recently upgraded from a 986. When it rains the carpet trim on base of both doors gets very wet. I have found plenty of forum posts about this suggesting the seal fails between the outer and inner metal door skins, and sure enough after removing door cards mine is the same. The foam seal which runs all around and bonded to the inner door skin was wet and completely rotted at the bottom. This will, as forums suggest need to be resealed, guessing with silicone.

What I do not get is why this is a fix for the problem because water running down inside the door is simply going to then collect in the bottom of the door where there are no apparent drain holes.

I am pretty sure the only entry point for the water is along the top seal where the window slides against either out or inside the car. I know these seals aren't meant to be 100% but they look pretty good condition and would expect them to only allow a tiny amount of water down the glass. Any ideas?

Last edited by reallyfree; 06-26-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: duplicate word
Old 09-04-2020, 04:00 PM
J Free
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an ancient thread, but did you figure it out, I'm going through the same?
Old 09-04-2020, 06:24 PM
reallyfree
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J Free
I know this is an ancient thread, but did you figure it out, I'm going through the same?
Yes it’s so ancient I’d forgotten posting it! From memory there are one or two drain plugs in the bottom of the door. Simply removed them and no problems since. (Which is prob why I’d forgotten about it)
Old 09-04-2020, 10:09 PM
J Free
Advanced

thanks-I opened it up today and found a rubber/foam seal between the metal panel behind the door card and the door was totally deteriorated. I replaced that, hoping that's it, will check the drain plugs too. thanks!
The following users liked this post:
reallyfree (09-05-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 09:49 AM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J Free
thanks-I opened it up today and found a rubber/foam seal between the metal panel behind the door card and the door was totally deteriorated. I replaced that, hoping that's it, will check the drain plugs too. thanks!
Out of curiosity, what did you use as a replacement seal?
The following users liked this post:
joliver3 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:10 PM
J Free
Advanced

I tried to find the proper Porsche part, but couldn't. I ended up using a weatherstripping from the hardware store. Peel and stick rubber/foam very similar to stock material. Cheap and easy, it hasn't rained yet here yet so I can't vouch for function, but seems like it should be fine.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:42 PM
safetyjoe
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

J Free,

Forgive the revival of a dead thread, but did your weather-stripping from the hardware store fix the problem? Did you have to add any additional adhesive to make it stay in place better?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2022, 10:13 AM
J Free
Advanced

No problem. So I did the diver's side along with the outside rubber trim seal along the window. It seemed to be fine for a while, I think it's getting a little water in again, it's been a while since it's been outside in the rain so I'm not 100% sure of the status. I have no reason to believe that the weatherstripping didn't do it's job. I did find it odd that there was no plastic sheeting inside the panel, I'm not sure if there's supposed to be, maybe you know? Sorry I can't be more definitively helpful until it's out in the next storm.

Quick Reply: 987 Boxster S Roof/Door leak, wet carpet