Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a home mechanic replace a front control module?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can a home mechanic replace a front control module?

I think I can handle the removal of the old one and install of the new one. What I don't know is once installed, what all is involved with reprogramming the codes, etc? Will the car even start? Once installed, can I even drive it to a Porsche dealer to have them address the codes? Is this one of those jobs best left up to the dealer? (My 05 Boxster has a fault code that points to the front 'comfort' control module that controls some of the electronics)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:38 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Can you physically remove and replace it? Yes. But as stated, it will require a read and write of coding for the new module from previous with replacement.
The read procedure has to be done with old module installed, so if you remove it beforehand you're actually making the whole process more difficult. As in vehicle information and options will have to be manually input into new unit. Slightly more time consuming...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. And I assume the code reader has to be a professional level, not some of the "hundred dollar" readers out there(?)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I am unsure if Durametric even has the capability, but I would assume cheap readers will not. PIWIS is all I use.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
This exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. And I assume the code reader has to be a professional level, not some of the "hundred dollar" readers out there(?)
The coding he is referring to is not what a code reader is capable of reading.
If you remove the Front end Control unit, then brought it to the dealer you would be making it much worse and probably more expensive to fix.
-6 year Porsche dealer tech.

Quick Reply: Can a home mechanic replace a front control module?