Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frunk size and chargers - Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Frunk size and chargers - Spyder

Hi guys - the time has come, and I'll be soon departing for a ED delivery of my Spyder!

Need a little bit of help:

- What are the dimensions of the frunk and the trunk? And does the trunk stowage change with the top down? Figuring out what size luggage to take.

- How many cigarette / chargers are there? [edit: I have the smoking package]

Thanks!

Last edited by Dalema; 05-12-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome news, congrats!!
The trunk/frunk are the same size as a standard boxster, not at home but can give you exact measurements later if no one does.
Trunk storage is not affected by the top.
3 power outlets :
One in the center console
One in the passenger footwell
One in the glove box
Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry, at work so no measurements, but I can pack one suitcase in the frunck (carryone size) and 3 in the trunk. There is a thread here where someone documented their cross country trip and posted picks of their luggage.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM
gasrgoose
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...gage-bags.html This link has luggage that fits the vehicle specifically. I like the look!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:18 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gasrgoose
http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...gage-bags.html This link has luggage that fits the vehicle specifically. I like the look!
Thats AWESOME!

beats the hell out of the $800 Spyder bags Porsche sells
Old 05-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
What are the dimensions of the frunk and the trunk? And does the trunk stowage change with the top down? Figuring out what size luggage to take.
Have a great ED experience!

The measurements below are approximate. Note that both the frunk and trunk are sloping so the storage area isn't uniform throughout. Plus, the trunk is odd shaped - not perfectly rectangular, so the width changes as you go from the back of the trunk toward the front of the trunk.

Frunk:

27" wide across the front of the car
22" deep in the back (closest to the windshield)
17" deep in the front (closest to the front bumper)

Trunk:

32" wide across the back of the car
12" deep in the back (closest to the rear window)
9" deep in the front (closest to the rear bumper)
Having the top up or down doesn't effect trunk space.

My best suggestion is this:

When I had my Seal Grey '05 Boxster S, I purchased two pieces of luggage, both in matching Seal Grey, both made by Romowa, and both sold through Porsche. The pieces consist of a large trolley that fits the frunk perfectly and a smaller "suitcase" that fits in the trunk perfectly. These two pieces combined max out the luggage capacity of a Boxster and give you ample room for a long weekend/holiday trip for two people. Romowa is high quality and takes a beating with its polycarbonate shell. I've had by Boxster luggage set for 11 years now and it still looks great, even after checking it on numerous airline flights.

The large trolley in the frunk of the Spyder:

The smaller "suitcase" in the trunk of the Spyder:

The set:

The trolley is deep and holds a ton:

Sidenote: Romowa is pricey and luggage stores that carry the line are prohibited by contract from offering any discounts. You will never find a piece of Romowa luggage on sale at any luggage store. It's like Louis Vuitton is that way. But, you can get a discount on the pieces sold through Porsche dealerships. This is only way I know of to buy Romowa at a discount.

Sidenote: When I was last at the factory several years ago, you could buy these luggage pieces and other accessories there at a bit of a discount offered to those taking ED. Not sure if that's still the case, but perhaps something to explore further before your departure.

From Porsche's website:

http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage...xl-rimowa.pdds

http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage...-m-rimowa.pdds

It's an investment you make once and you're done. Plus, how cool is it to be able to have luggage that matches the color of your car!!

Good luck and have an amazing trip!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I was interested in that Romowa stuff until I clicked on that link and the price took my breath away. CCM makes a small hockey referee bag for around $50 that fits perfectly in the frunk, looks great and pretty durable. I use one for my hockey gear and will probably buy one for travel luggage as well.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...eree-30in.html

Last edited by Archimedes; 05-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:32 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

^ All great help... so the matching luggage takes 12months for delivery? That's a rather long wait but something definitely to consider for those keeping their cars forever.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 PM
FrugalB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was told I could get a set of golf clubs in the trunk with out the driver... I have to call BS. A normal size golf bag will not fit. It would fit one of the small travel bags that fit like 6 clubs...
Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice guys - we leave shortly so will have first check the dimensions with my existing luggage. Wife is the problem on a two week trip!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much for the details you posted!!

I like how you can PTS that luggage

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Have a great ED experience!

The measurements below are approximate. Note that both the frunk and trunk are sloping so the storage area isn't uniform throughout. Plus, the trunk is odd shaped - not perfectly rectangular, so the width changes as you go from the back of the trunk toward the front of the trunk.

Frunk:

Trunk:

Having the top up or down doesn't effect trunk space.

My best suggestion is this:

When I had my Seal Grey '05 Boxster S, I purchased two pieces of luggage, both in matching Seal Grey, both made by Romowa, and both sold through Porsche. The pieces consist of a large trolley that fits the frunk perfectly and a smaller "suitcase" that fits in the trunk perfectly. These two pieces combined max out the luggage capacity of a Boxster and give you ample room for a long weekend/holiday trip for two people. Romowa is high quality and takes a beating with its polycarbonate shell. I've had by Boxster luggage set for 11 years now and it still looks great, even after checking it on numerous airline flights.

The large trolley in the frunk of the Spyder:

The smaller "suitcase" in the trunk of the Spyder:

The set:

The trolley is deep and holds a ton:

Sidenote: Romowa is pricey and luggage stores that carry the line are prohibited by contract from offering any discounts. You will never find a piece of Romowa luggage on sale at any luggage store. It's like Louis Vuitton is that way. But, you can get a discount on the pieces sold through Porsche dealerships. This is only way I know of to buy Romowa at a discount.

Sidenote: When I was last at the factory several years ago, you could buy these luggage pieces and other accessories there at a bit of a discount offered to those taking ED. Not sure if that's still the case, but perhaps something to explore further before your departure.

From Porsche's website:

http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage...xl-rimowa.pdds

http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage...-m-rimowa.pdds

It's an investment you make once and you're done. Plus, how cool is it to be able to have luggage that matches the color of your car!!

Good luck and have an amazing trip!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Hi - one more question - what is the length I have in the front and back?

Thanks!

Have a great ED experience! The measurements below are approximate. Note that both the frunk and trunk are sloping so the storage area isn't uniform throughout. Plus, the trunk is odd shaped - not perfectly rectangular, so the width changes as you go from the back of the trunk toward the front of the trunk. Frunk: 27" wide across the front of the car 22" deep in the back (closest to the windshield) 17" deep in the front (closest to the front bumper) Trunk: 32" wide across the back of the car 12" deep in the back (closest to the rear window) 9" deep in the front (closest to the rear bumper) Having the top up or down doesn't effect trunk space. My best suggestion is this: When I had my Seal Grey '05 Boxster S, I purchased two pieces of luggage, both in matching Seal Grey, both made by Romowa, and both sold through Porsche. The pieces consist of a large trolley that fits the frunk perfectly and a smaller "suitcase" that fits in the trunk perfectly. These two pieces combined max out the luggage capacity of a Boxster and give you ample room for a long weekend/holiday trip for two people. Romowa is high quality and takes a beating with its polycarbonate shell. I've had by Boxster luggage set for 11 years now and it still looks great, even after checking it on numerous airline flights. The large trolley in the frunk of the Spyder: The smaller "suitcase" in the trunk of the Spyder: The set: The trolley is deep and holds a ton: Sidenote: Romowa is pricey and luggage stores that carry the line are prohibited by contract from offering any discounts. You will never find a piece of Romowa luggage on sale at any luggage store. It's like Louis Vuitton is that way. But, you can get a discount on the pieces sold through Porsche dealerships. This is only way I know of to buy Romowa at a discount. Sidenote: When I was last at the factory several years ago, you could buy these luggage pieces and other accessories there at a bit of a discount offered to those taking ED. Not sure if that's still the case, but perhaps something to explore further before your departure. From Porsche's website: http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage...xl-rimowa.pdds http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage...-m-rimowa.pdds It's an investment you make once and you're done. Plus, how cool is it to be able to have luggage that matches the color of your car!! Good luck and have an amazing trip!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dalema
Hi - one more question - what is the length I have in the front and back?
When you say "length" I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to.

If this helps, the dimensions of the Rimowa trolley that fits perfectly in the frunk is:

length 23"
width 15.5"
height 16"
Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

When you say "length" I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. If this helps, the dimensions of the Rimowa trolley that fits perfectly in the frunk is: length 23" width 15.5" height 16"
I was just looking for the other dimension - hard when talking about a trunk! You gave me the width and the 2 depths.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Yes, it can be a little confusing.

Let's try this again:

Frunk storage area:

18" from the front of the storage area to the rear of the storage area (I think this is what you're asking for - my fault for previously omitting)

Trunk:

17" from the front of the storage area to the rear of the storage area (I think this is what you're asking for - my fault for omitting)

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Frunk size and chargers - Spyder