Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Surround Sound System in Spyder...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Bose Surround Sound System in Spyder...

Has anyone found any settings that eliminate the high end harshness of the Bose Surround System? Maybe I'm just overly sensitive as an audiophile. I bought the car off the showroom floor so I didn't have a choice with the sound system. Had I ordered it I would have went with the Burmester.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The off setting should do the trick
Old 04-27-2016, 11:09 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

The Bermester is excellent and worth the extra money IMO. Sorry about your trouble with the Bose.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
The Bermester is excellent and worth the extra money IMO. Sorry about your trouble with the Bose.
Part of the problem is that I'm used to listening to this at home:

Name:  D07D0992-16A3-4B20-85EE-94069C37006D_zpslprtdmoo.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 04-27-2016, 11:26 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

That is some installation! Would like to hear Mahler's 9th on that system.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Question - are you running off a smart phone with BlueTooth or have you plugged it in via the Lightening cable? I just found that made a HUGE difference in the Bose system. Like night and day.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

I was listening through the tuner on the head unit as well as BT Audio off of Tidal and my music library. I will grab a cable and try it hard wired.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:57 AM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a change to go into sound options , then the other options menu? I do not remember what's called but It said something like for audiophile. if you did that already then I wont take a pic later. It helped a lot.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Yes, it was the "linear" option.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa.. that is one nice home setup.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:29 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I am also a fellow audiophile and owned high end audio stores for 40 years. I have had no choice but to stomach Bose systems in many auto's of different makes including several in Porsche's.

There is no deep bass, only a dull mid bass thump making all bass content sound the same. There is not much lower mid range output either so the sound is cold. Then as a double whammy, the tweeters peak in the mid treble which is the harshness you are hearing. And finally there is no extreme treble so any air or detail is lost. These are just the frequency response problems.

Due to the overlap of most tone controls, if you turn down the bass you reduce the mid bass thump but also the deep bass and lower midrange.

If you turn down the treble, you reduce the mid treble peak but also the extreme highs.

Oddly the one Burmester system I heard in a 2012 Cayenne, although way better overall, still had the clearly excessive mid bass hump. It was still prominent on some material even with the bass tone control turned down to it's lowest level.

I have not even begun to discuss the Bose's high level of distortion and stored energy and imaging problems. Other than this, the Bose system is great.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john weires
I am also a fellow audiophile and owned high end audio stores for 40 years. I have had no choice but to stomach Bose systems in many auto's of different makes including several in Porsche's.

There is no deep bass, only a dull mid bass thump making all bass content sound the same. There is not much lower mid range output either so the sound is cold. Then as a double whammy, the tweeters peak in the mid treble which is the harshness you are hearing. And finally there is no extreme treble so any air or detail is lost. These are just the frequency response problems.

Due to the overlap of most tone controls, if you turn down the bass you reduce the mid bass thump but also the deep bass and lower midrange.

If you turn down the treble, you reduce the mid treble peak but also the extreme highs.

Oddly the one Burmester system I heard in a 2012 Cayenne, although way better overall, still had the clearly excessive mid bass hump. It was still prominent on some material even with the bass tone control turned down to it's lowest level.

I have not even begun to discuss the Bose's high level of distortion and stored energy and imaging problems. Other than this, the Bose system is great.

Which stores do you own? I used to work in a store on Long Island and still work with a friend of mine who is one of the biggest Theta dealers in the US. That's more of a hobby for me, as pediatric dentistry is my primary profession.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The cable helps, but not much. It is what it is. There's a good write up in the 991 forum by a place up near Seattle that's done some serious rework of both the Bose and base systems in the 991, including speaker replacement and relocation, amps, sub, etc. Lot of money, but if it's worth it to you, you might look into that.

Given the size/shape of the cabin and the intake, exhaust and tire noise that Porsche's generate, I kinda think it's a bit of an exercise in futility, but we're all different.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The cable helps, but not much. It is what it is. There's a good write up in the 991 forum by a place up near Seattle that's done some serious rework of both the Bose and base systems in the 991, including speaker replacement and relocation, amps, sub, etc. Lot of money, but if it's worth it to you, you might look into that.

Given the size/shape of the cabin and the intake, exhaust and tire noise that Porsche's generate, I kinda think it's a bit of an exercise in futility, but we're all different.
I agree. Right now I'm driving with the top up to and from work to get some miles in toward break-in. It's still not too warm here. I have the Burmester in my S550 coupe, which is my usual daily driver. It won't be an issue as the weather gets warmer and I use it as my weekend car.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I bought a left over performance build 991 that a dealer couldn't sell and it came with the base HD radio, which really blows. No sub either. I looked into the options of doing new speakers, sub, amp, etc., and it gets pricey real quick. Decided it just wasn't worth it for this noisy a car. Switching my music source from the cabled iPhone to CDs helps a lot, though it's still like listening to the radio in an 89 Accord.

Quick Reply: Bose Surround Sound System in Spyder...