Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm pulling the trigger on my Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:53 AM
JBoxsterK
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Jon,
there still open allocations for the Spyder available? Thought they are all gone and the last cars will be build March/April. Or did Porsche extend the production?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

With a CR GTS, I bet you spent some time in the configurator. You can still access it - best way to see all that is available. I think I read the whole build thread in picking my options.

With respect to the bumps:
- if you want no wart on the back, you can't go with the infotainment package and have to go with the base CDR or PCM Nav (you can still select Bose with either)
- if you don't want the washer bumps on the front, don't order the PDLS

You can only get the reversing camera with the PCM Nav screen.

Tinted tail lights are cool and tie in with the tinted headlights (std)

Color matched roll hoops. Didn't get them on mine as I'm getting silver - but may work with yours if black.

You can decide if you want the Alcantara steering wheel or get it in leather ar no charge.

If you go with the Spyder Classic interior (I am with GT Silver exterior) then it sets up a lot of the interior for - you could also consider the seat belt color. Note the Classic interior replaces some interior trim in GT Silver color. If you go with a diff interior the 2 tone red/black is available I think and you can go nuts with deviated stitching and leather bits. And don't forget the matching red door pulls.

That's a few of the things I thought about. Hope it helps!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:11 AM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carbon fiber interior, make sure you get the CDR plus at the minimum, I just got CDR/Bose/sat and am upgrading the radio bc no iPod integration or BT audio.

Personally I like black wheels, if you go black interior w red stitching(assuming standard red calipers), then go red seat belts an don't forget Oakley custom sunglasses with red...lol.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2016, 02:20 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I believe the side intakes are black as standard. These look painted silver

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP, the other option to consider is whether you want the side intakes painted body color to match or left as in the picture above.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I believe the side intakes are black as standard. These look painted silver
They're black plastic and don't match the paint. It's an option to have them painted to match the body paint. The ones in the pic mikehigh posted are not paint matched.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Underblu
Banned

I agree. While it would probably not be an absolute deal breaker for me it really messes with the classic lines of the streamers afaic.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
The red gray interior is the classic. Probably I am in the minority, but every time I look at my Spyder I am so glad I avoided the wart. In my case it was by ordering the base radio and Bose speaker upgrade. So far I have turned the radio off every time I've driven the car. The exhaust sounds that good.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:26 AM
Underblu
Banned

They're black plastic and don't match the paint. It's an option to have them painted to match the body paint. The ones in the pic mikehigh posted are not paint matched.
Right but the ones in the picture you referred to look to be painted silver

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Black with silver wheels looks good to me with the classic interior :

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Right but the ones in the picture you referred to look to be painted silver
Just the lighting. Matte black plastic. Lighter than the black though. I have them on my black Cayman S. I would body match on a black car.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 AM
Underblu
Banned

Just the lighting. Matte black plastic. Lighter than the black though. I have them on my black Cayman S. I would body match on a black car.
Are we looking at the same thing because That's not lighting. Those intakes are clearly painted silver which matches the rims in that picture. SM Laker's intakes appear to be black plastic, see post 18 but Milehigh981s are definitely painted Silver
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 AM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

There were four as of last week.All in the hands of dealers.March April builds. Now there are three . Jon in Delaware
Originally Posted by JBoxsterK
Jon,
there still open allocations for the Spyder available? Thought they are all gone and the last cars will be build March/April. Or did Porsche extend the production?
Old 03-03-2016, 02:39 AM
jwalton
Pro

Awesome feedback thanks
Originally Posted by Dalema
With a CR GTS, I bet you spent some time in the configurator. You can still access it - best way to see all that is available. I think I read the whole build thread in picking my options.

With respect to the bumps:
- if you want no wart on the back, you can't go with the infotainment package and have to go with the base CDR or PCM Nav (you can still select Bose with either)
- if you don't want the washer bumps on the front, don't order the PDLS

You can only get the reversing camera with the PCM Nav screen.

Tinted tail lights are cool and tie in with the tinted headlights (std)

Color matched roll hoops. Didn't get them on mine as I'm getting silver - but may work with yours if black.

You can decide if you want the Alcantara steering wheel or get it in leather ar no charge.

If you go with the Spyder Classic interior (I am with GT Silver exterior) then it sets up a lot of the interior for - you could also consider the seat belt color. Note the Classic interior replaces some interior trim in GT Silver color. If you go with a diff interior the 2 tone red/black is available I think and you can go nuts with deviated stitching and leather bits. And don't forget the matching red door pulls.

That's a few of the things I thought about. Hope it helps!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:40 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Are we looking at the same thing because That's not lighting. Those intakes are clearly painted silver which matches the rims in that picture. SM Laker's intakes appear to be black plastic, see post 18
they're not painted silver. It's the texture of the plastic and the way it photographs. I have the same combo on my Cayman and that's the way it looks in direct light. The intake looks lighter than the body. In shade it looks closer to the black body paint.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 AM
jwalton
Pro

That is a beautiful car. It makes me consider the triple black as an option. Thanks. Jon in Delaware
Originally Posted by SMLaker
Carbon fiber interior, make sure you get the CDR plus at the minimum, I just got CDR/Bose/sat and am upgrading the radio bc no iPod integration or BT audio.

Personally I like black wheels, if you go black interior w red stitching(assuming standard red calipers), then go red seat belts an don't forget Oakley custom sunglasses with red...lol.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:48 AM
Underblu
Banned

Duplicate post
Old 03-03-2016, 02:51 AM
Underblu
Banned

Black plastic intake

Name:  8214bcdea63661525cbf397ac1cff67a_zpsfeg2mjea.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  889.3 KB

Silver painted intake
QUOTE=Milehigh981;13071330]Black with silver wheels looks good to me with the classic interior :

[/QUOTE

If you can't tell the difference you either need to get a different monitor or have your eyes checked

Are we looking at the same thing because That's not lighting. Those intakes are clearly painted silver which matches the rims in that picture. SM Laker's intakes appear to be black plastic, see post 18 but Milehigh981s are definitely painted Silver
they're not painted silver. It's the texture of the plastic and the way it photographs. I have the same combo on my Cayman and that's the way it looks in direct light. The intake looks lighter than the body. In shade it looks closer to the black body paint.

Quick Reply: I'm pulling the trigger on my Spyder