Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressed w test drive of 2013 boxster S but not sure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Impressed w test drive of 2013 boxster S but not sure

I started seeing quite a few very low mileage 2013 boxster s models with PDK and what seems like a lot of options.

I never realized the boxster was an 83 thousand dollar sports car.

Wow...23 grand worth of options seems to be more the rule than the exception...

Meanwhile the prices seem to be reasonable these days on 12 k mile boxster s models...

Dealer wanted 55 grand for a pre owned certified boxster s...

I'm not sure I'll be happy moving from a 450 hp lightly modded ls3 c6 corvette z51 manual targa...

Im planning on going to another Porsche dealer next week to check out a different color 2013 boxster s with PDK....

I really just think the s model...with PDK, chrono package and 20 inch rims are all the options I need...

Although buying pre owned does limit the choice of options....

I think the car bases around 60...then PDK, chrono and 20 inch rims should be around another 8 grand?

The salesman was very impressed with the red seat belts? And a lot of other detail items that really added up the MSRP....to be honest....I just wasn't that interested in quite a few of the 23 grand worth of options...

Is this usually the way Porsches are sold?

As far as the drive...I was impressed with PDK....and I really liked the look of the boxster...especially with the 20 s..

Is the chronos package worth anything other than launch control?

Is the preowned certified something that I should look for? Or are there other warranty packages that you guys recommend?

Thanks for any insights....

Like I said...my first test drive today was impressive.....much better than the jaguar f type if test drove afterward...

The jaguars off my short list as it's no comparison from a sports car perspective considering how much more sporting the boxster s PDK was...

Absolutely no comparison in my opinion....

I will say the stunningly beautiful blonde under 30 year old sales woman crushed the Porsche salesman in looks but even still....the jaguar f type was not even in the smaller league as the boxster s with PDK...

I'm not going to kid you guys...my c6 z51 corvette seems more powerful, it's been utterly reliable and the performance on the corvette comes across as the stronger performance machine ...I did a few interior mods like a d shaped new leather steering wheel, and some other leather mods in the vette along with a short throw shifter...

I'm not sure I'll be totally happy with the boxster s with PDK...so I'm going for a second test drive hopefully next week at a different dealer...

Really my first experience with Porsche though and I definitely understand and can appreciate the allure. A very finely built machine...the quality is clearly apparent and I was impressed....

Happy holidays and any insights appreciated..
Old 12-19-2015, 01:43 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope with another test drive you can take the time (and find the roads) to get a feel for what makes a Porsche different than an American sports car.
No disrespect for the Corvette intended, they are a very capable sports car.
But Porsches have never been about raw horsepower, rather it is all about how they channel the horsepower they do have to the pavement and how they provide control and precision in a very unique way. Its about the balance of power and controllability that Porsche has long striven to put into their products.
Some people will appreciate that difference and some will not.
For me, I may never go back to American sports or muscle cars unless it would be a 60s era classic.
Porsche has truly spoiled me for considering many other options. And yes, I realize how good Porsche's competition is getting in this day and age.

I don't think highly optioned Boxsters are the norm. When I was shopping for my 987.2, most were optioned very similarly, which is to say a fairly limited list of options. Most of those I looked at stickered at $55 to $65K. These were non-S models though. I believe the S models added something like $8K - $10K to the sticker.
Perhaps the selection is different with the 981 era Boxsters such as you are looking at, however I believe a highly optioned car will still be the exception.

Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) is the way to go.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 661 Posts

I ordered a '13 BS new and its MSRP was north of $83K. Porsche charges (and makes) lots of money on options because they can. My '16 BGTS has red belts and a red SC dial because I wanted them, not because they are worth almost $1K. Most original owners realize those options retain little to no resale value.
As above, the car is not at all about raw power. It isn't slow but it isn't particularly fast in the modern era by any means.
The only other thing I would say is, if you are coming from a MT Corvette, why a PDK? Yes, the PDK makes the car "faster" but you'll still not catch your Vette in a straight line at "stay out of jail" speeds. The 981 6 speed is one of the nicest transmissions I have ever owned and so much fun to drive. I have a TT and, although I am slowly adjusting to it, I would never have elected a PDK if a MT was available (and still wouldn't). Sure it's better/faster/smarter than I in shifting; it's not nearly as engaging as my BGTS with its buttery smooth 6 speed.
And yes, I would prefer a CPO car, since not all qualify for the process.
Also a huge SmartTOP fan with no affiliation.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:54 AM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Thanks for the insights.....I really did enjoy the boxster s with PDK. We did go on twistie side roads .....and I did get a chance to get a taste of both the fine craftsmanship and a little about the balance....

Definitely blew the jaguar f type right out of the water. The jaguar f type is a beautiful car ....but from a driving dynamic perspective ....it's way isolated.....the long hood and the torque convertor automatic were disappointing to say the least....of course it was the supercharged 380 hp version as they didn't have a supercharged v8 available, the sales girl was stunningly beautiful and quite nice but the car was surprisingly not what I was looking for...

The boxster s with PDK is a maybe....I drive into manhattan......I really prefer my next car not be a manual....even after 40 years of driving manual sports cars....the new PDK technology impresses me so....that I'm ready to make the shift....(pun intended) it's one of the features that Porsche has that I'm most impressed with...

I'm not going to kid you and say hopping back into the corvette with the manual gearbox....and the z51 package and npp exhaust was kind of fun after all the test drives....

Still that boxster s with PDK has me going to look for another test drive,,,maybe a different color other than the same black I have on my present ride....black is beautiful but it's such a bitch requiring weekly cleaning....

The gearing in the boxster PDK seemed short and tight yet with the lightning quick PDK that's not really an issue...

The salesman thought the boxster s engine sounded loud whereas I thought it was muffled.....I don't think the car had a sport exhaust......but I'll have to look over the extensive option list maybe it did and with the windows and top up its subdued? I have a feeling the top down experience would be marvelous...the very nice young Porsche salesman seemed thrilled about that little spoiler that kept popping up...LOL...he liked that as he kept talking about it and managed to keep putting it up even after we got out of the car!,,,I had to very nicely tell him to leave the stereo alone and off so I m sure this car has some wonderful stereo....and he kept telling me the car had LoJack...I didn't even realize LoJack still existed anymore,,,I guess Porsches get stolen more than the average sports car?

I really thought the interior was very well done...the build quality was top notch without question.........I thought the steering was impressive....obviously I didn't go hard on the brakes....the ride was nice and controlled I get the allure of a finely tuned machine....and ....the PDK I was extremely impressed with. No comparison with the 8 speed ZF unit in the jaguar f type....all the magazine tests suggesting they were close equals.....were nuts....the ZF 8 was not even close to the PDK...

The refinement over the corvette z51 is there....the attention to fine detail in the cabin....still at 83 grand I could be in a 650 hp monster c7 z06.....I'm assuming in the same period of time pre owned.......they would both roughly cost the same...

Although I could easily buy new ....I have a mental block when it comes to spending 80 to a hundred grand on a car...

I realize many of you guys do....I'm older in my mid fifties with an autistic 20 year old son who just learned how to dress himself in the past few months....he goes to one of the finest schools in the state...he has ABA therapists five days a week after school in the house....speech therapy every week ...even after the insurance cut us off for him 14 years ago...I have him going special needs horse back riding and a personal trainer at my gym....as I'm sure many of you are dads can understand..as a dad we try to give our kids the best life We can....

Whereas many complain about the cost of a four year college,,,my son will require level 1 care his entire life....the cost could be daunting...not to mention of what happens when we are gone...

Not to go too far off topic....I just feel more comfortable in the 50 to 60 range,,so that's why the very low mileage boxster s with the warranty seemed like a nice alternative.,.

It's funny though....if you leased the boxster S ...I think it would have been around 45 percent for the two year depreciation of the 60 thousand dollar vehicle and 100 percent depreciation over the two year period on the 23 grand worth of options...

Maybe Porsche subsidized these boxster lease deals as the Macan was launching to offer buyers of macans a short term lease deal until their macans came in? I sort of remember a program like that in place at the time ....

Which puts a few nice low mileage boxster s out there....

I look forward to my second test drive,,,

I enjoy early morning Sunday drives up around bear mountain and the seven lakes with my son as my co pilot...letting my better half sleep late ....it's a nice father son bonding time....my son and I enjoy this especially in the warmer months ...

Who knows....what I can say is congratulations to those who own boxsters....a very nice sports car!

Last edited by JBsZ06; 12-19-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting because that's not what I've been finding at all. Been searching for almost a year for a '13 or newer Boxster S CPO for the wife and I'm finding very few heavily optioned. Wife's must have's are sapphire or red, PDK, rear backup camera, PSE exhaust, either 14 or 18 way seats, Chrono package, and heated/ventilated seats. I think I've found only 1 that had a front/rear sensors and backup camera. Haven't researched aftermarket backup cameras so that may be an option but would rather have factory set up. Very few have PSE as well. But I'm still looking. PNH has a silver GTS Boxster currently at a really good price which might work but whoever ordered it has manual seats which that's a definite no as a result.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:54 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 582 Posts

I think you will love the boxter s. Ill definitely add the PSE to the must need list as well as cpo warranty, other options depends on what is available in your area or how far are you willing to drive for one. Also boxter attracts some attention, so you can take that blonde from the jag dealership on a date !!!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

JB, if you can swing up to $60K you can get a beautiful CPO 981S. Or a 650HP Z06. They are very different cars in many ways - you just have to ask yourself which one you would be happier with. The fact that you drove the F-type to me says a Boxster may be the right car. Porsche of Bucks County had a lovely low mileage 2013 CPO Platinum Silver over Red 981S with PDK, nicely equipped. Not sure if that car is still there, but it's a beauty. I drove the F-type 3.8V6 and really didn't like it for a number of reasons. First off, let me say I think it's the most beautiful looking 2 seat sports car you can buy. But the car seems like a hot-rod to me. The six speed was vague and balky, and the engine screamed to the point that you can't hear yourself think. Not for me. Just didn't seem like a refined car the way the Porsche is. Faster, yes. But, I just wanted a car with great looks, engineering, and good performance. The 981S was a no brainer for me. And the PSE I ordered will enhance the sound. Since I had a C4S (my avatar) previously, I know just how well made these cars are. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Here's a link to all current CPO, PDK, 20" wheels with Sport Chrono 981 Boxster Ss available as of this AM:
http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...list.ipl?cid=1
I count 36, ranging in price from low $50s to $70s (2013-2015).
Maybe something you like there? Might be fun to fly and drive home if you can't find one locally, but maybe not this time of year. You can negotiate transport as part of the deal.
Have fun.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:00 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So why not switch to a C7?
Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

The only must have option imo is PASM and 20" rims. I recently had a loaner Cayman S with 19s and the standard suspension. it felt like a different car and not in a good way. Far more bouncy and inarticulate compared to the PASM. Felt like a generation behind as a sports car. I can't speak on the X73 but the the PASM is taught precise and very well damped and I would not buy a 981 with the standard suspension
Old 12-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Underblu
I can't speak on the X73 but the the PASM is taught precise and very well damped and I would not buy a 981 with the standard suspension
I've had both and think the X73 is terrific. I believe if dealers had more cars equipped with it to test drive, more would be ordered. It's not at all too harsh IMO (and I won't buy one without a reversing camera and ventilated seats, so I'm no Spartan) and the the lowered stance looks great.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:00 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Happy holidays guys...

I appreciate the insights and information...

I've learned that most suggest pasm, PDK, sport chrono ,20 inch rims and if possible sport exhaust are the options to look for...possibly the special rear differential if you can find it.

Surprisingly yesterday I showed my wife the new boxster s and she liked it and she suggested I buy one ....

I think I'm going to hold off another year or so...being that the 718 is about to release....

Not sure if the turbo four will be the way to go...they sound pretty powerful and if popular might change the gameplan

I'm still going to try and get another test drive of the boxster s with PDK to get better insight,,,and see what I want to do...

Thank you to all of those who have left some insight.

I'm a member here for about a decade....and this is a great forum.

Quick Reply: Impressed w test drive of 2013 boxster S but not sure