Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveway Pitch and Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Driveway Pitch and Clearance

Had my driveway apron redone at a less severe pitch than it was previously. Currently it measures 11 degree incline, at most. I really want to avoid scraping the front valance on the new 981S when it comes in. It has PASM so is 5mm lower than stock suspension. I used to back into the drive and front out onto to the street when I had my '04 4S and avoided scraping - that was when the apron was more severely angled, and the clearance was minimal. Yeah, I know, try it out when the car comes in - at worst I will do what I did with the 911, but would like to be able to front the car in - and will do so at as severe an angle as possible. What are others experiencing with their 991?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a really steep driveway in my small condo building in San Francisco, and my recently sold Nissan 370Z used to scrape tremendously unless I approached at a severe angle (which, due to the layout of the garage with 2 other cars from the other units restricting my usable space, wasn't always possible.)
I'm pleasantly surprised that my brand new Cayman GTS with PASM doesn't scrape *at all*, regardless of the approach angle!
Not a 991 but thought I'd share anyway!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by mallocfailure
I have a really steep driveway in my small condo building in San Francisco, and my recently sold Nissan 370Z used to scrape tremendously unless I approached at a severe angle (which, due to the layout of the garage with 2 other cars from the other units restricting my usable space, wasn't always possible.) I'm pleasantly surprised that my brand new Cayman GTS with PASM doesn't scrape *at all*, regardless of the approach angle! Not a 991 but thought I'd share anyway!
Reassuring. I think I will be fine also, but the first trip into the driveway will be carefully supervised!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

The end of my driveway has a concrete apron about 18 inches wide that slopes up from the road to the driveway. Not sure what the angle might be, but it's fairly steep. My CGTS with X73 suspension is 20 mm lower than stock. This requires that I approach at a very sharp angle to alleviate any contact. Luckily, no one parks near the entrance of the driveway.

Before I purchased the car, I was able to convince my SA that I needed to test drive a Cayman with the sport suspension that I tested on my driveway approach. It did scrape on a rather straight approach, but not at an angle. If it had, that would have been a deal breaker.

I've been very happy with the X73 suspension, but you must always be conscious of any bumps in the road.

BTW, PASM is 10 mm lower than stock.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No problems with our 981S, equipped with PASM, when going up or down our sloping driveway. I always approach and leave at an angle and I can go front in or out without any problems.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dino944
No problems with our 981S, equipped with PASM, when going up or down our sloping driveway. I always approach and leave at an angle and I can go front in or out without any problems.
Dino, good to hear. I'd be interested in the angle of your driveway. Of course, there's a free app for that! I appreciate your letting me know. Mine measured 10.8 degrees so want to get an idea as your car is configured exactly as mine is.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:08 AM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driveway Pitch and Clearance

Funny.

In preparing for the arrival of my spyder - March 18, 2016 -yes. I plan ahead), I did some prototyping on driveway solutions and came up with this solution. See the innovation process in action below. As you can see, I toiled late into the night on this ultra hi-tech project.

My s2000 is the test dummy with 6" vs. 4.5"(!) clearance on the Spyder.

Solution: 2 x 2x6x60" redwood planks shimmed w a crapload of 2x4 scraps.

hey... it works!
Attached Images    

Last edited by taibo; 12-19-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Taibo, I've done this with other cars, but it's a PIA whenever you're moving cars in and out of the driveway. I think my apron has a much shallower pitch than yours and your Spyder has a reduced ride height of 10mm vs. my 981S with PASM. So, based on Dino's comments, I should be fine.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Taibo, I've done this with other cars, but it's a PIA whenever you're moving cars in and out of the driveway. I think my apron has a much shallower pitch than yours and your Spyder has a reduced ride height of 10mm vs. my 981S with PASM. So, based on Dino's comments, I should be fine.
Mine isn't a straight single incline (like Taibo's). Mine curves and has different angles. Still, coming in at an angle I've had no problems with scraping involving our Cayman S 981 equipped with PASM. I sent you a PM, if you want to see photos of my driveway just respond to my PM and I'll email a few pix to you.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
The kluged up solution in the pics is just a proof of concept. Now I need to figure out how to make it usable and convenient.

Good news is my spyder is not a daily driver... weekender and backroader only. But still stacking up 2x4s everytime i take the car out, would get pretty old real fast.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (10-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Driveway Pitch and Clearance