Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder Market

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The first Spyder was also slow on the uptake but that changed once the word got out that it handled incredibly and is one of the best drivers cars ever produced. Needless to say the demand hasn't really tapered even with the introduction of the new one. I wouldn't be surprised if the new one follows the exact same path.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

If you want a specialty limited run convertible Porsche with a NA 3.8L. As porky pig says. That's all folks.

Seriously, the Spyder takes the muscular semi exotic look of the 981 Boxster and kicks it up a notch. Those beautiful humps elongate the back and give it a more aggressive mid engine look.

The cool looking lightweight convertible top is easier to take up and down than previous Porsche speciality convertibles. I.e. 987 Spyder and 997 Speedster.

2900lbs some additional aero treatment along with an agressive X73 suspension makes a great handling car more great

Those Big *** Carrera S brakes gives new meaning to Stops on a dime

Did I mention the beautiful NA 3.8L engine from the Carrera S. 3.8L NA 6. Possibly the last of its kind to show up in a non GT car.

Short of the Motorsport division doing a convertible which seems highly unlikely based on the history of the Motorsport division, I think this will be one of Porsche's last great NA convertibles.

Last edited by Underblu; 12-01-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
SM at Prestige highly encouraged me to buy their Cayman GTS which would get me a GT4 allocation (skipping others on the list). I passed and they didn't even want to put me on their list at all. This was back in Feb...
Jeez...sounds like my experience at Stevinson. Asked to put on the list for a Spyder early but was told they're not taking names. Week of release - no calls, wouldn't return my phone calls or emails. Found out they had a list the whole time.

Porsche of colorado springs wanted a $5000 deposit just to put my name on the list with 3 people ahead

Prestige was the only one willing to take my name for the Spyder with a reasonable chance of getting one

Edit: sorry for the thread hijack Bob!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Allot of the MT N.A. purists went the route of the GT4.

The 981 Spyder seems like an absolute bargain and seems crazy that so many are unsold.

The 987 Spyder (which I currently have) did not as stated above sell well at the beginning but then obviously caught on and should have more than paved the way for the new Spyder.

IMO I don't think Porsche went far enough and strayed away from the lightweight "bare-bones " philosophy of the original Spyder. This is being compensated by the 3.8L engine.

Given the above perhaps the option of PDK-S would have sold allot more Spyders.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Those Internet cars are both cars with names attached to them, as well as place-holder allocations. They are not cars sitting on lots unsold.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Those Internet cars are both cars with names attached to them, as well as place-holder allocations. They are not cars sitting on lots unsold.
Exactly... people need to calm down.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

Also note that there is 40 GT4's listed on Autotrader.com
Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm betting the Spyder is a classic long term
Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

My local dealer has a white one with LWBS available, sitting on the showroom floor. It's the second of two allocations they got -- the first was a customer order.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
My local dealer has a white one with LWBS available, sitting on the showroom floor. It's the second of two allocations they got -- the first was a customer order.
Do you know if it's listed for MSRP?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
Also note that there is 40 GT4's listed on Autotrader.com
True, but there are actually a lot of GT4s available right now, both dealers selling their spec cars at a premium and owners selling lightly used cars. Two or three came up on the GT4 forum here in the last two days alone.

Last edited by Archimedes; 12-02-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:09 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Do you know if it's listed for MSRP?
I didn't ask, but I'm pretty sure it is -- they sold their GT4s for MSRP, so I doubt the Spyder would be any different.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Jeez...sounds like my experience at Stevinson. Asked to put on the list for a Spyder early but was told they're not taking names. Week of release - no calls, wouldn't return my phone calls or emails. Found out they had a list the whole time.

Porsche of colorado springs wanted a $5000 deposit just to put my name on the list with 3 people ahead

Prestige was the only one willing to take my name for the Spyder with a reasonable chance of getting one

Sorry, one more OT...

Back in Feb:
Stevinson - cant get a GT4; took my CC number for a deposit but never ran it. Jump forward to Oct. Get a call and email that they have an allocation. I reply that I'm getting one from out of state. No reply.... A couple of their sales guys seem to be good but not all...

Similar at Porsche of Colorado Springs -- until, back in June when I happened to be talking with the GM (I didn't know he was the GM...). He was none to happy that I was getting a GT4 from KS. They've been great since and I hope to purchase there in the future.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:10 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981

No problem on the hijack...just part of the conversation.

I had been using Stevenson to service the 987.2 Spyder because Chance works there, called several times to the SA to get on Spyder list and never got a call back. I like Dave the service manager at Prestige, it's too bad he doesn't wrench still, the rest of the crew has been a joke, although I hear they got a new shop foreman.

Last edited by il pirata; 12-03-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMLaker
A I think the "slow on the uptake" fan base will explode over the next year.
It is very attractively priced, but that top (although more user-friendly than the 987 Spyder’s) still makes it a tough choice for many people. I can see this car becoming a cult favorite, like the 987 Spyder, but I have a hard time really seeing its fan base explode just because of that 9-step top...

Of course, as long as Porsche sufficiently limits supply, there may be really intense demand. To first order, though, it doesn’t seem to me like they got that calculation right on the first try.

Quick Reply: Spyder Market