Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone past break in period?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:38 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Underblu
It is my understanding that for the ROW there is no such break-in period. Let the engine get to optimal temperature and then enjoy.
There is a break in period for ROW as well, but the instructions are not as specific as in the US owner's manual.

My manual does not specify any rev limit during break in, as an example. Just to "avoid higher revs" during the break in, which is 3000 km.

I heard an interview with Andreas Preuninger, head of the Porsche GT line, where he elaborated on break in. In his opinion, the people who goes to the track the first day are damaging their new cars. His advise was "keep it under 4500 rpm the first 1000 km and then gradually increase the revs".

It's not really about the revs as such, it's about letting bushings and bearings settle in by exposing them to various but not too extreme loads. The most important thing is to subject the car to various driving conditions, various revs on different gears. But not to extreme in the beginning. I would think that lugging the engine going slowly up a steep hill is worse than a short rpm peek under light load...

My new BGTS has 200 km on it so far... I will follow mr Preuninger's advise, I believe he knows what he is talking about.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelderek
.. I will follow mr Preuninger's advise, I believe he knows what he is talking about.
Actually the same advise is given by the "instructors" if you pick up your car in Zuffenhausen. I will officially declare my Spyder as broken in at 1,500 km

Did the same with the predecessors and never had any issues with the engines.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Nope.
That tradition stopped when they introduced the DFI engines. Now they test every nth engine to make sure the production process is still ok.

Last ones to be ran where the 997.2 GT3/RS Mezger engines if I recall correctly.
Correct - hot testing is done on 1 or 2 percentage of the production only and on those engines initially not successfully passing the cold test (hot tested after taking care of the issue causing the failure in the cold test).
Old 02-24-2016, 11:03 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Why?

You get the fluids circulating, but you are not building up any pressure. Would never do that. Better to drive the car for 10 minutes than have it idle for 20.
Good advice.

I'm taking her out this weekend for a cruise around the island.

Quick Reply: anyone past break in period?