Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO on a Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:06 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CPO on a Cayman R

I realize this is very subjective and everyone's risk tolerance is different, but I'm curious what the group's thoughts are on the value of a CPO warranty on a used Cayman. In my case, a Cayman R. I've been looking at Cayman Rs both with and without the CPO warranty and trying to determine exactly what premium I should expect to pay for a car with the warranty. My gut says it's somewhere in the $3K-$5K range but I'm really just pulling that out of the air.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:52 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Value is one thing and indeed subjective. How much is the peace of mind of CPO worth to a buyer? But there is a specific cost to CPO a car plus any repairs or replacements (tires, brakes, etc.) to meet the CPO requirements. Sorry I can't recall the source but I believe the cost to the dealer to CPO (which is passed on plus some margin) is on the order of 3k. Of course an aftermarket warranty like EZcare is possible and most dealers will be happy to sell. There should be some negotiating room on an aftermarket warranty. FWIW my R has been pretty reliable including a lot of track miles.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:49 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 391 Posts

I would not assume automatically that CPO adds cost to a pre-owned Porsche, even though that may seem counterintuitive. As for seeking out a pre-owned Porsche, I would always seek out CPOs as opposed to non-CPOs. I did a quick search on Porsche's pre-owned site and found this one, which was relatively lower miles AND lower cost: http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...447011&url=usa

I have absolutely no connection to this car or dealer and simply wanted to prove (to myself) my hypothesis. I have not studied Cayman Rs, so I don't know what options it has or should have, but take a look.

Good luck and enjoy your search.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:55 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I would not assume automatically that CPO adds cost to a pre-owned Porsche, even though that may seem counterintuitive. As for seeking out a pre-owned Porsche, I would always seek out CPOs as opposed to non-CPOs. I did a quick search on Porsche's pre-owned site and found this one, which was relatively lower miles AND lower cost: http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...447011&url=usa

I have absolutely no connection to this car or dealer and simply wanted to prove (to myself) my hypothesis. I have not studied Cayman Rs, so I don't know what options it has or should have, but take a look.

Good luck and enjoy your search.
Thanks. I saw that car. It does seem that PDK Cayman Rs command less money than the equivalent 6MT, which may be a factor here.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:03 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I think the dealer pays Porsche around $2500 for the CPO warranty. Add that to any money they had to spend to get it up to standards and that's what the CPO costs the dealer. Typically that amount would include tires and maybe brakes - whatever it takes to pass the CPO checklist.

The CPO car at Park Place has the wrong seats. That's probably the biggest determination of asking price. 6MT and GT2 seats seems to be the holy grail.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 336 Posts

During the process of dealing for my car the dealer claimed the cost of the CPO was $2200. My car also got all new tires and front brake pads to qualify for the CPO. Like someone mentioned above CPO cars don't appear to automatically demand a premium based on the prices I've seen for CRs over the last year. I bought mine from a Texas dealer and there seem to be quite a few for sale from Texas, not sure why.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:04 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all, this is helpful.

Now if I could just decide on PDK vs. 6MT I might actually be able to move forward with a car
Old 11-09-2015, 01:22 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by logan2z
Now if I could just decide on PDK vs. 6MT I might actually be able to move forward with a car
When I was at a similar crossroads, I focused on trying to find the car that checked the most boxes, and the beauty is that the decision became gearbox independent, which of course widens the pool. You really can't go wrong with either PDK or MT--they're both great.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:52 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

When I was at a similar crossroads, I focused on trying to find the car that checked the most boxes, and the beauty is that the decision became gearbox independent, which of course widens the pool. You really can't go wrong with either PDK or MT--they're both great.

Good luck with your search.
Interesting approach.

Which did you end up with?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:27 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by logan2z
Interesting approach. Which did you end up with?
6MT (which surprised my wife, who doesn't drive stick). I was leaning toward PDK after I got over the fear of it being blasphemous, and wound up with a stick. Despite my concern that I would regret driving a stick in traffic, I rarely notice it (and I live and drive in the NYC Metro area!). I am sure a PDK will be in my future one day, so I'm just enjoying the greater involvement. On a track, though, I would prefer PDK, which should enable a driver to focus more on line and breaking.

As I said before, they're both great, so just focus on the CPO that most closely fits your ideal build.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:31 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

6MT (which surprised my wife, who doesn't drive stick). I was leaning toward PDK after I got over the fear of it being blasphemous, and wound up with a stick. Despite my concern that I would regret driving a stick in traffic, I rarely notice it (and I live and drive in the NYC Metro area!). I am sure a PDK will be in my future one day, so I'm just enjoying the greater involvement. On a track, though, I would prefer PDK, which should enable a driver to focus more on line and breaking.

As I said before, they're both great, so just focus on the CPO that most closely fits your ideal build.
Funny. My wife doesn't drive stick either. I've got two manual 911s and I feel a bit guilty buying yet another car that she can't drive. But maybe that's a good thing

Quick Reply: CPO on a Cayman R