Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: 987.2_023 - PDK 3.8L X51 Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 611 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
John, thx for the info. Just to clarify - your cooler is for gears part of the gear box or for the clutches+differential part? Anyway, my intention was to understand how LSD introduction affects things not in a real track/race environment (there i'm sure you vent and cool as much as you can) but in spirited/canyon driving.
correct. Our cooler cools the fluid for the gears and the differential. For street driving, i think the increase in temp is probably negligible as opposed to say a race track with a slow, tight hairpin. You aren't driving on the street at 10/10ths to the point of inducing big wheel spin like you are on a race track. For the street, it's not substantial by any means.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

as we know in PDK gear box the "gears part" and the "clutches+differential part" are completely separate with different type of oil.
BGB cooler cools them both?
anyway it's probably only relevant for long track/race sessions.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Croc999
as we know in PDK gear box the "gears part" and the "clutches+differential part" are completely separate with different type of oil. BGB cooler cools them both? anyway it's probably only relevant for long track/race sessions.
Not exactly. The clutches for the PDK and the factory specific ATF fluid that cools them are on one side of the gearbox and cooled with a factory heat exchanger; the gear stack and the differential share the fluid on the other side where the factory runs the traditional Mobil 1 75/90 gear lube. Our cooler cools the differential and the gears and stops that fluid from heat soaking the transmission bell housing which makes the PDK clutch side run cooler. The hydraulic fluid for the clutches does not go anywhere else but that side of the PDK.

You are however correct though as most customers didn't report a problem until they tried to run more than :20 on track. Keep in mind that these guys are running cars in brutal track environments like Colorado where the altitude is high, Nevada or So Cal where they're in the high desert and Florida/Texas where ambient temps are brutal.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

STEP 1: Call BGB and strike agreement for 997 3.8L engine swap. CHECK.
STEP 2: Send vehicle from garage to Florida. CHECK.
STEP 3: Remove existing gearbox and engine. CHECK.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
You are however correct though as most customers didn't report a problem until they tried to run more than :20 on track. Keep in mind that these guys are running cars in brutal track environments like Colorado where the altitude is high, Nevada or So Cal where they're in the high desert and Florida/Texas where ambient temps are brutal.
For the record, my dealer replaced my trans even though I had the Guard LSD installed. Porsche worked with me on the issue and John was always just a phone call away telling me next steps and what to look for. Seems like the thin air of Colorado is just not enough to cool the PDK with the stock cooler.

For the record, the Guard LSD is just amazing. Trust me. You will love the way the car behaves under braking. You'll quickly realize why Porsche might hobble the Cayman vs the 911.

I have my GT4 order confirmed and any upgrades or changes I do will be through John, even though I have a good source locally. BGB is just top notch to deal with and John forgot more in the last 10 minutes about these Caymans than I can learn in the next year.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

this is good to hear.
until now i was reluctant to go for LSD as local mechanics has no knowledge on installation and other LSD vendor couldn't provide no instructions whatsoever....
Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

STEP 0: "You're going to do WHAT?!" - Wife
Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Fresh off the plane with zero hours, Monday we convert the engine and hopefully have it in the car and the car on the ground for road testing by Tuesday!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 11-09-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's going to be a really fast turnaround on this build ! I think you guys have this swap all figured out. Please post the Dyno numbers when you can.

Thanks,Cman21
Old 11-09-2015, 12:03 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Fresh off the plane with zero hours, Monday we convert the engine and hopefully have it in the car and the car on the ground for road testing by Tuesday!

Road testing on Tuesday? You're joking!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stumil
Road testing on Tuesday? You're joking!
No sir. Our policy is to take a hardware deposit up front and order all parts while the car is in transit so that while we wait on the motor shipment, we can have everything here ready to go when the motor arrives.. We decided last week to add Cargraphic stainless steel OBD manifolds with 200 cell cats so they won't be here for 2 - 3 weeks but we want to be on the ground tomorrow road testing the car with the OE manifolds so are continuing on!

The customer is coming to shake the car down at the PBOC Winterfest at Sebring and we want to be ready to go well in advance of that.

We don't like ongoing projects in the shop! We like to get them in and OUT!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't like ongoing projects in the shop! We like to get them in and OUT!
barely time to take a few pictures and put them on rennlist...
Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blue44
barely time to take a few pictures and put them on rennlist...
Nah, always time to post pics and push the marketing effort!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:54 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I lied! We aren't road testing today because we are waiting on the downpipe from IPD. I had a few of our own made as rapid prototypes but they were plastic and we were concerned about race track durability. So we wait now on the aluminum pipe because we know it fits and lasts. BUT...as promised, motor in car and oh so close to being ready for the road test!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks like a tight fit!

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 987.2_023 - PDK 3.8L X51 Cayman R