Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster as track car without roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 12:00 PM
ericspt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster as track car without roll bar

Basic question is, do most track days allow Boxsters without roll bars? Is the built in roll over protection considered good enough?

We are looking at buying a day to day/track car. The wife really wants a convertible(this will be her car) but we will track it.

If it comes down to Cayman/Boxster the qualifier will be if we can run the Boxster without having to add an intrusive roll over system. She will DD this in the summer and maybe 5-6 track days per summer so putting in a real roll over protection is not in the cards.

If she cannot track the Boxster she will look at a Cayman.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2015, 12:39 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can if it is a DE

If it is a competitive or timed event, a roll bar or cage is required
Old 10-25-2015, 02:22 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can add a roll bar extension to a Boxster, no need for an intrusive bar.

http://www.bkauto.com/R_3030_Roll_Ba...n_p/r-3030.htm
Old 10-25-2015, 02:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

They are allowed as long as you pass the "broomstick test". (There should be space between your helmet and a broomstick resting on the roll-hoops and the top of the windshield frame.) 987 and later (2005+) models usually have no problem passing. Bray-Krause made (makes?) roll hoop extensions for 986 but are not needed if broomstick test is passed without them.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they will ask you to run ( driver ed ) with the roof up, unless you have arm restraints ( requiring seats and harnesses ). Much better than a good day at work either way...

Donn
Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Also suggest check with the event organizer you plan to run with. Most allow Boxsters in my experience but I recently attended a BMW CCA and noted they don't allow convertibles.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:04 PM
ericspt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We run our own DE's and let convertibles run but wanted to do more events.

I assume PCA allows convertibles to run. We want to travel a bit more for events and if most allow them I'd be good. Sometimes tracks themselves have restrictions.

The roll bar extension looks great especially if you can remove it for not being at the track.

Now time to start looking for a car.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Also suggest check with the event organizer you plan to run with. Most allow Boxsters in my experience but I recently attended a BMW CCA and noted they don't allow convertibles.
There is no set rule; rules for convertibles are track and event specific. As far as my local tracks go, VIR does not permit 986 Boxsters without rollbar extensions, but does permit 987. NCCAR and Summit permit both. All these tracks require you to pass a broomstick test, but another track, Academi, does not require a structural roll bar at all (but I still wouldn't run there without one). Rules can vary between organizers, too; NASA requires extra clearance between the broomstick and your helmet.

Bottom line: you can't make assumptions. Ask the organizers.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Comment on the B-K roll bar extension- it's pretty easy to install but you do have to remove the factory roll hoop padding and the mesh windstops inside the hoops to clamp the extension bar to the factory hoops. The top opens and closes fine with the extension in place so I just leave mine on all the time. I have a 986, but the 987 is the same set up. Depending on the driver height with helmet you may not need the extension. The first Boxster I went to test drive I brought my helmet and a stick. Seller gave me a strange look!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Below is PCA's minimum standard for convertibles at PCA hosted drivers education events.

Cabriolet/Convertible Cars

Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars we recommend the soft-top be in the up position or the hard top installed. If the top is in the down position, restraint system* must be used. An SFI and/or FIA approved arm.

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.

*Velocity Management, Inc. is a source for the SFI approved arm restraint system for use with the OEM three point belts. Contact info is www.gofastbesafe.com (link is external) and the part number is QE3ptArm

Aaron
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield).
Interesting. So since Boxsters have factory installed roll-hoops, they don't have to meet the "broomstick" rule? That's not what's being implemented in practice.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

The broomstick rule is implied with any open roof car. Only the older Boxsters ('96-'04) were an issues with drivers over 5' 8" tall. That was the reason Brey-Krause came out with their Roll Bar Extension.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:47 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

If I was tracking at all I would want a roof over my head. Yes the chances of a rollover are slim but roll over into, or just hit, a tire barrier or soft dirt and bad things could happen. I refuse to instruct any convertible at all, even with a roll bar for the above reasons.

Yes I am old and crotchety

Peter
Old 10-27-2015, 02:43 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run my 2013 981B for three seasons now at DE events mostly at Road America.
The Porsche OEM design is designed for roll over protection, windshield frame and roll hoops and I would trust the Porsche engineers better than any add on after market device.
As stated PCS requires top up unless you have arm restraints, you don't require a harness for amr retraints.
I purchased a pair of Simpson arm restraints and judged them the most unsafe thing I have ever put on in a car. I wouldn't even start the car with them on.
So I run top up unless it's an SCCA event where the SCCA understands modern roll over protection systems and lets me drive top down.
BTW, BMW will not let any convertibles drive.
How's that for a confused lot of bull$hit!-Richard
BTW, I am old, an Engineer and not "crotchety"!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Who would want to drive a hairdresser car on the track? Oh, me that's who. :-)

Before I caged it, I installed the Brey-Krause extender and enjoyed it as a wonderful dual purpose car.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Boxster as track car without roll bar