Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing advice on Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:23 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pricing advice on Cayman S

I'm pretty familiar with the air cooled market but I'm looking for a Cayman S to use as a DD and could use some pricing advice.

A local Porsche dealer is selling a 2011 Cayman S with 18K miles on the clock. Color is white with black leather interior (my favorite Cayman color combo). The car is very lightly optioned - PDK, 19" Carrera Sport wheels, Navigation, XM Radio. That's it. The previous owner added Bilstein coilovers (PSS10 I believe) and a Fabspeed exhaust. The car was advertised as CPO but it turns out that was an error because Porsche will not certify a car with mods.

MSRP for the car was $71K. Asking price is $52K.

This price seems rather high to me given the way the car is optioned, the fact that it's not CPO car, it has an aftermarket exhaust that I would likely want to replace, etc. But again I don't really know the Cayman market so I may be off base. Mileage is obviously pretty low for a 4 year old car. I haven't seen it myself yet but apparently "it's a cream puff"

Any thoughts on pricing for this car would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm not an expert in the market, but it seems ridiculously high to me.

If you had described the car to me, I would have guessed $38-$42k. Regardless of mileage, it's a 5 year old, soon to be two model generations back, Cayman. Out of warranty and with mods.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:31 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm not an expert in the market, but it seems ridiculously high to me.

If you had described the car to me, I would have guessed $38-$42k. Regardless of mileage, it's a 5 year old, soon to be two model generations back, Cayman. Out of warranty and with mods.
Right, my thinking as well.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:46 PM
THEMuz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just looks like they are trying to spring "low miles" on someone and hope the bite. The problem is that there is always someone (sometimes it takes quite a long time to fine them) with more money than sense and they will scoop it up not knowing what they are doing.

I'm trying to find a 987.2 CS right now and have been really looking at what people have been asking. I agree on the high 30k, low 40k estimate; sold in the high 30s.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:20 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

$40K about right for a good color well optioned 987 CS less than 30k mi
Old 10-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by logan2z
The car is very lightly optioned - PDK, 19" Carrera Sport wheels, Navigation, XM Radio.
Except the XM Radio, those are actually some of the higher priced common options.
I wouldn't have called this a lightly optioned car, although it isn't a heavily optioned one either....

Price seems too high in any case.
Might be a really nice car due to low miles, someone who didn't mind putting $ into the car (coilovers, exhaust,), and who probably maintained it well.

See how long it sits at the dealer and maybe make an offer after 3 months if its still there.
I saved $7K off of a $33K asking price for a Boxster by waiting all winter until the dealership was desperate to sell in the spring as new cars came pouring into their sales lot.

On the other hand, if you don't think you will like the coilovers and the Fabspeed exhaust, you might be better off moving on to the next one.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Except the XM Radio, those are actually some of the higher priced common options.
I wouldn't have called this a lightly optioned car, although it isn't a heavily optioned one either....

Price seems too high in any case.
Might be a really nice car due to low miles, someone who didn't mind putting $ into the car (coilovers, exhaust,), and who probably maintained it well.

See how long it sits at the dealer and maybe make an offer after 3 months if its still there.
I saved $7K off of a $33K asking price for a Boxster by waiting all winter until the dealership was desperate to sell in the spring as new cars came pouring into their sales lot.

On the other hand, if you don't think you will like the coilovers and the Fabspeed exhaust, you might be better off moving on to the next one.
Thanks for the advice. I've just started looking and have an '87 Carrera that I use as a DD so I'm in no big rush. I'll look for as long as it takes to find the right car at the right price

Quick Reply: Pricing advice on Cayman S