Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying or leasing Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying or leasing Spyder

Saw a similar thread over in GT4 land and was curious if most were buying or leasing the Spyder..
I'm buying (financing) as the plan is keeping this long term, since it's going to be a fairly rare car and Its being special ordered to my tastes.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Spyder737
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am buying (financing). Same reasons. Planning on this being a keeper.

Went and test drove the GT4 today just to get a feel for the LWB's.

Just down to color, LWB's or 18-Way Sport Adaptives before order locks in a few weeks.

I see you're in Denver. How are the roads for driving out there? Thinking of moving from Texas in the near future.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder737

Just down to color, LWB's or 18-Way Sport Adaptives before order locks in a few weeks.

I see you're in Denver. How are the roads for driving out there? Thinking of moving from Texas in the near future.
Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but you missed the boat for the LWB's.
There was a ordering stop issued from PAG on the LWB's since 9/11.

EDIT: Unless you were able to secure LWBs from your initial order submit.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 10-10-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Buying. It'll probably be in my will but honestly I haven't even driven the car yet and I might not like something about it so it might be for sale in a couple years. If it's everything I think it will be, then it will be a lifelong toy.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get up into the foothills/ mountains the driving is sublime. Lots of curvy mountain roads. Easy to spend a day just driving for fun.

We live in the suburbs and the roads are good, but they work on them often. In Denver, it's a crapshoot. Some roads are fine others ..have a lot of work needed.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm buying. I don't always keep cars long but suspect this one will be a long term keeper. I love driving a Porsche and can't see giving this up for a turbo version.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:49 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

leasing with the option to buy...
Old 10-11-2015, 09:56 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
leasing with the option to buy...
Is it more expensive to least first and then buy it back? Typically, leasing option works better when returning the car after a period of time. It might be different in your case.

I am financing as well.

Last edited by spyderphile; 10-12-2015 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-12-2015, 01:14 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Roads are horrible and as flat as Florida. Terrible weather and nothing to do in the winter. Plus the residents are a$$holes.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Originally Posted by the_rider
Is it more expensive to least first and then but it back? Typically, leasing option works better when returning the car after a period of time. It might be different in your case.

I am financing as well.
It depends on the residual percentage and money factor.

Judging from 987 Spyder's pricing, if I was in the market for a 981 Spyder, I'd buy it.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Plus the residents are a$$holes.
Especially if your from Texas or California.

Plus summers are unbearable, the economy sucks, and you can't find a good meal anywhere. Check out Nebraska.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Spyder737
Track Day

Thanks Navano.

I placed the order back in June. I got the LWB seats specc'd as soon as they were available after the first order freeze. Checked with SA and confirmed the meno from Porsche. Orders prior to 9/11 with build after October should be okay. Not the end of the world for me because I'm still considering the 18-way just for comfort/practicality and seat heat.
The ultimate cool-factor is the LWB, and possible higher resale appeal due demand. I want to be able drive some distances without a back-ache or some girl-type complaining about ingress/egress or cold tushy with the top down and nip in the air. The demand, plus the fact that I should be able to get them makes it seem like the obvious choice, but the 18-way is the better choice for long stretches and most normal driving situations, especially for a couple hours or more.

As far as Colorado, it's just a matter of when. I'm not from Texas or California and pretty sure there are a$$holes everywhere. At least one per person! 😉

Rhodium Silver, GT Silver or Carrara White is all that's left to decide on besides the seats. I think this car will be a blast regardless.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:27 AM
martinmp42
Rennlist Member

I am buying mine too. It is going to be a keeper. So far I have managed to get a few keepers that I think will be very special cars in future after turbos flood the market in a few years. This is my fourth Porsche. According to my wife I should start having my head checked and go for counseling. I don't know, may be she is right.

2014 Geyser Grey 50th Anniv.
2015 GR GT3
2000 Boxter
2016 Spyder GT Silver with classic red interior (1/2016)
In the list for 911R
Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Spyder737
Track Day

I plan on keeping this one for a really long time.

It seems most want the LWB's if available, some to the point of turning away from the order if they can't get them, yet I've seen GT3's and GT3RS's with the 18-way adaptive. I had the 18-way in my 991S, and liked them well enough. The LWB's are without question the better looking, and probably better performing seats when it comes to track use. Unless things change drastically, this car will not be a track car, so comfort and heat for longer drives are making this last configurator choice the most difficult. The LWB's look the biz, but one video commentator already complained of the hardness and backache with the seats in a GT4 review.

Has anyone lived with sport bucket seats for other than track use and found them comfortable enough for long drives?

Two weeks to lock.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone lived with sport bucket seats for other than track use and found them comfortable enough for long drives?
I think that's very dependent on the individual...

Quick Reply: Buying or leasing Spyder