Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to place order to PASM or not to PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 PM
iflywoe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the roads around you might tell you the answer to that
Old 10-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iflywoe
the roads around you might tell you the answer to that
In a word, they suck! Sounds like I'll be including PASM on my build sheet.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Question for you PASM owners though. Do you find that sport mode is too firm for most driving conditions and you wind up driving around in comfort mode most of the time?

My understanding was that the stock suspension split the difference between the PASM modes in terms of firmness in the damping and body roll.

I have PDCC/Sport PASM in my Carrera and sport mode is just too firm for anything but a mirror smooth track. Normal mode is awesome though, but a lot of that is the PDCC.
Yes - I've owned two 997's with PASM and NEVER used it. I would 100% go with the X73 Sport Suspension which is PERFECT.

Correction! PASM in SPORT mode I found too HARSH and thus never used it.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-04-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:38 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd suggest testing the X73. It's a good alternative to stock and better than PASM. But more importantly, consider PTV.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:08 AM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Yes - I've owned two 997'ds with PASM and NEVER used it.
This comment doesn't seem to make sense - PASM is always active (actively adjusting suspension response to road conditions, as described above) regardless of what dash buttons you press.

The X73 suspension is highly and widely recommended for street and track use.

PASM Sport mode (SportChrono w/o PCM) is not too hard of a ride at all. It feels firm and controlled to me, not harsh. Mine is shod with 19" Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's (IIRC). And for what it's worth, I generally prefer Bridgestones to Michelins as I have found that they maintain grip below 45*F, but I of course have not driven all tires of both brands on the same car, so that's an apples-to-oranges comparison at best.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM
prrod
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pasm!
Old 10-04-2015, 01:15 PM
SingallZ
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a CS with PASM, a CS with stock suspension, and in the end I finally I bought a CGTS (with X73 & PTV) I'd say get the X73 and PTV, you're buying a mid engine sports car, fully enjoy the improved performance around the corners, and if you don't like road noise and a sightly rough ride, buy a Panamera.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
This comment doesn't seem to make sense - PASM is always active (actively adjusting suspension response to road conditions, as described above) regardless of what dash buttons you press.

The X73 suspension is highly and widely recommended for street and track use. .
I think he meant that he never took it out of Normal mode, i.e., never used the Sport setting. That's what I'm finding in my SPASM Carrera. I don't know if I'll ever use the Sport setting anywhere but, maybe, the track.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting - I much prefer the tighter ride of PASM in Sport mode and would consider modding it to be the default. Perhaps that's indicative of a fundamental difference the benefit of PASM in a Carrera versus PASM in a Cayman/Boxter?
Old 10-04-2015, 03:04 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
What I've found in reading about PASM is that whether in comfort or sport mode, the suspension is constantly being adjusted, just at different rates depending on which mode you're in. In comfort mode, I understand that, especially with crappy US roads, the ride is significantly more comfortable in comfort mode than with stock suspension, and all 4 wheels feel more fully planted. I'm tending towards ordering it.
I am firmly in the camp of not liking adaptive suspensions. Their very nature is that they constantly adjust so there is always something odd going on at the wheels. You try to get more and more precise in what your steering is but somebody constantly changes the rules of the game while it is ongoing, and differently every time for the same curve based on "conditions".
Old 10-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
Interesting - I much prefer the tighter ride of PASM in Sport mode and would consider modding it to be the default. Perhaps that's indicative of a fundamental difference the benefit of PASM in a Carrera versus PASM in a Cayman/Boxter?
Honestly, I couldn't say, because I've never driven a PASM car in either Cayman or Carrera form. I have a SPASM car, which is 10 mm lower than PASM, and my car has PDCC as well, so I don't know how comparable that is to basic PASM. My Carrera in Sport mode is seriously firm. Others with SPASM have told me they didn't even use the Sport suspension setting on the track, they felt the Normal mode was better.

Honestly, if I was the OP and concerned about daily driving on crappy roads, and had my heart set on a Cayman, I'd probably go PASM and just keep it Normal mode most of the time.

I will say this though, after living with the X73 suspension for all of a day and half now, I would much prefer it over the stock suspension. It's definitely very firm in certain situations due to the shorter travel, but the damping characteristics of the X73 feels markedly better than the stock suspension.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Begs the question, how does Sport Suspension compare with stock suspension on the Boxster? From the comments above, for me, if I ordered PASM, I think I would virtually never use sport mode. So the question is for everyday use, on a variety of smooth and some crappy roads, is it worth ordering sport suspension over stock, or simply order PASM and use the normal mode? Which would be firmer - and if both close to stock is it worth ordering either of the optional suspensions?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:41 PM
SingallZ
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Begs the question, how does Sport Suspension compare with stock suspension on the Boxster?
I can only speak about the Cayman but the biggest difference between stock vs X73 is the thicker sways (on the X73), you feel a hell of a lot more planted during cornering. As for the ride quality, it is slightly firmer with shorter travel. I haven't hit the bump stops yet with my 20mm lower CGTS X73 struts, but it has far less travel and as a result you can feel the difference in the spring's compression rate.

Last edited by SingallZ; 10-04-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:19 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For you PASM as I think you may already decided on.

Tino
Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by soltino
For you PASM as I think you may already decided on.

Tino
Yes - going to order the S with PASM.

Phil

Quick Reply: About to place order to PASM or not to PASM?