Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:53 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Allot of great points.

My feeling is the current Spyder leans allot closer to the current Boxster GTS rather than the original 987.

The 3.8L and MT only are amazing but there should have been more focus on weight loss and perhaps less comfort features. LWB should have been STD but I guess Porsche makes allot more $$ as an option

This would have further defined its role especially vs the GT4
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my Dealer all set to order a new Spyder but without PDK it is not a Track car or road car for me. so no Spyder.
I could not care less about the front end.
The car is so much easier to drive with PDK in AUTO that I would NEVER go back to, 3sp, 4spd, 5spd etc from where I came from!
A new 981 Spyder 6 cyl with PDK, yes, a new 981 Spyder with 4 cyl Turbo, no.
My current Boxster is just fine on road and really doesn't require more HP but on Track on the straights it's definately slower than many other vehicles.-Richard
Old 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
My feeling is the current Spyder leans allot closer to the current Boxster GTS rather than the original 987.

The 3.8L and MT only are amazing but there should have been more focus on weight loss and perhaps less comfort features. LWB should have been STD but I guess Porsche makes allot more $$ as an option

This would have further defined its role especially vs the GT4
Agreed.

I sat in on AP's presentation at RRV and just based on the audience feedback it sounded very positive to have a GT Spyder, personally I think this is a great idea esp if the components, R&D are already there from the GT4.

I guess the ? is if this was offered would they sell even more Spyders? My gut feeling is yes, in addition to the current buyers you'd expect another wave of enthusiast buyers and maybe some of the current GT4 buyers too. I'm sure a portion of the GT4s will not be heavy tracked cars too, so many are on board cause it's the latest hot thing esp in this price range.

Although many won't track the current Spyder, you can't help but think why are they priced so closely when the GT4 has all the added expensive components which far exceed the difference.

I'd be in for sure on a GT Spyder if this happened.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:33 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight

Although many won't track the current Spyder, you can't help but think why are they priced so closely when the GT4 has all the added expensive components which far exceed the difference.
Porsche historically has always priced soft top cars higher than coupes, they cost more to produce. The Boxster HAS been an anomaly in the Porsche world in regards to pricing. Porsche has stated that the Boxster will be positioned above the Cayman going forward, re more expensive.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Agreed.

I sat in on AP's presentation at RRV and just based on the audience feedback it sounded very positive to have a GT Spyder, personally I think this is a great idea esp if the components, R&D are already there from the GT4.

I guess the ? is if this was offered would they sell even more Spyders? My gut feeling is yes, in addition to the current buyers you'd expect another wave of enthusiast buyers and maybe some of the current GT4 buyers too. I'm sure a portion of the GT4s will not be heavy tracked cars too, so many are on board cause it's the latest hot thing esp in this price range.

I'd be in for sure on a GT Spyder if this happened.
so, reading these comments it would seem like people think the Spyder is priced a bit high, whereas the gt4 is a bargain of sorts.. didn't realize that extra suspension work and brakes added so much. One reference point though is a regular boxster gts... once you add PTV and the x73 you're almost at the same price (and I don't believe you get the carrera S brakes or the 911 turbo steering rack)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
One reference point though is a regular boxster gts... once you add PTV and the x73 you're almost at the same price (and I don't believe you get the carrera S brakes or the 911 turbo steering rack)
No…the GTS with PTV ($1320) and X73(free) is $76915. Spyder base is $82100. which included PTV, X73 (with bigger sways), Carrera S brakes, 911 turbo steering and oh a 3.8 engine. Other have pointed it out, the Spyder and the GT4 are great value in the Porsche world.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
No…the GTS with PTV ($1320) and X73(free) is $76915. Spyder base is $82100. which included PTV, X73 (with bigger sways), Carrera S brakes, 911 turbo steering and oh a 3.8 engine. Other have pointed it out, the Spyder and the GT4 are great value in the Porsche world.
good, and I personally tend to agree. Just wouldn't want to buy my spyder and next year a Spyder GT with the gt3 suspension pops up for just a few $1000 more.. would be a little bit annoying.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Agreed, it goes against what the car is really about. The Spyder perhaps should be a motorsports division product but with a focus on driving enjoyment and reducing weight and not getting around the track faster.
Porsche Motorsport division = racing development. Nothing else. I hope nobody is holding their order until a GT Spyder is coming because it is not going to happen.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

This is the reason for a Motorsport division:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121171
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dr. P is correct, it was a mistake not to offer Boxster GT4 and Cayman GT4 for nothing more than the opportunity to put them head to head on the track and see which handles better, chassis and suspension being equal. The magazines would have been all over this. And throw in a 991 GTS while you're at it, so that all three would have the same NA engine. Who wouldn't like to see that contest...

The GT4's should have also been offered with the choice of PDK. I don't see why Porsche had to make it binary, plenty would have opted for paddles for the track. Personally, I think they feared making these cars a bit too fast relative to the non-GT3 991's. I'm surprised everyone followed along with "how cool they only offer the purist option" line without questioning it.

I'm also unclear as to why a coupe has to be necessarily the choice for their racing, simply incorporate a bolt-on roll bar as Mazda has done with the MX5 Cup car. Plenty are looking forward to racing those stalwarts of DE/autox. I don't know about the Conti series but the Pirelli WC allow roadsters like the MX5 Cup car for 2015.

As far as pricing, if all GT4 and Spyders are spoken for then how were they priced incorrectly? If you put a 991S engine in any mid-engine car it will sell. People have been waiting for this for a very long time.

But the best addition to a Boxster GT4 would be a simple manual top that could be raised and lowered from the driver's seat. Why do Porsche like to make their lug nuts and Sypder tops so complicated...

Last edited by perfectlap; 10-12-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Porsche must do something right with their Motorsport division being the most successful race car manufacturer of all time and the most profitable...

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder