Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Alcantara really as bad as this article states?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 03:23 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I did not have it on my previous C4s but have it on my seats, steeriing wheel and shifter of my 7.1 GT3 (8600 miles). For this car, IMO I think it is the only way to go since race steering wheels and many race seats have Alcantara surfaces, and I did know from reading that it was lighter weight so to me it fit perfectly with the car.
As said above, very easy to maintain as long as you are not trashing your wheel and seats.
I have seen leather steering wheels get destroyed by those that use excessive hand lotion or just have very sweaty hands, or have a full hand death grip on the wheel all the time.
We all know how leather seats get over time (especially older Porches), even garaged cars depending on the care of the driver entering and exiting the car.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I raced rally for a factory and in those races the cars got trashed…dirt, mud, grime etc. It was the first time that I ever saw and got to use alcantara. Bottom line, that S**T is bullet proof and stain proof. I would get bed sheets made in that if my wife would let me!
That's some funny S**t!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:14 AM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Respect

Originally Posted by navanoD
Sorry, but the writer of the article is a moron. Why do you think it is used in race cars?

Alcantara is based purely on performance! Alcantara grips you and prevents your body from sliding. Additionally Alcantara breathes better than leather. In the winter it also is warmer than leather. Last... it is lighter than leather! I will say there is different qualities of Alcantara. Alcantara is a brand that not all cars utilize... so I'm more than certain some manufactures use subpar "suedes".

The writer has a right to his opinion, but it's just that. Fact is a fact that Alcantara performance wise is better than leather.
Can something be discussed around here without being offensive? I myself would prefer leather over Alcantara. Leather can have a nice patina over time versus Alcantara which looks stained as it ages. In a race car I wouldn't worry about the appearance. In my spider I want to be able to clean the seats easily and maintain it's original appearance.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXHNTR
Can something be discussed around here without being offensive? I myself would prefer leather over Alcantara. Leather can have a nice patina over time versus Alcantara which looks stained as it ages. In a race car I wouldn't worry about the appearance. In my spider I want to be able to clean the seats easily and maintain it's original appearance.
Having had experience with both I think they are equally durable on seats and trim. If we are talking about steering wheels and shifters I do believe Alcantara will age faster or require more maintenance to keep it looking its best as compared to leather.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had two cars with Alcantera inserts, a Mazdaspeed 3 and my current S4, and in 90k miles between the two I've found the Alcantera to wear extremely well and be very easy to clean. I think having it on a steering wheel presents some challenges due to the oils in your hands but on the seats I'm a big fan.
Mike
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being an open top I have some concerns on leather wheel getting hot in the sun so switching back to alcantara on my order. Any one with a convertible experienced that?
Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
Being an open top I have some concerns on leather wheel getting hot in the sun so switching back to alcantara on my order. Any one with a convertible experienced that?
I never had an issue with a hot wheel but definitely have had issues with hot shift **** when the car had sat in the sun for a while (not driven). It cools down in a few minutes so it's not horrible but the first few shifts require a delicate touch!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

Jalopnik is a pretty terrible site at times and has many sensationalist type articles. Remember the article about how the GT4 suspension is more special than the GT3's because the former has adjustable roll bars? LOL.

That said, it definitely isn't as easy to maintain as leather. If you are concenred, get yourself the leather steering wheel / shifter and some Sonax alcantara cleaner. All will be fine.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like mouse fur. Leaves a mark when touched. I hate it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Looks like mouse fur. Leaves a mark when touched. I hate it.
Mouse fur! You are right on the mark. Now I will never look at my interior without thinking Mouse Fur!

Quick Reply: Is Alcantara really as bad as this article states?