Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key remote works, won't start car

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:43 AM
M Shepanski
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Key remote works, won't start car

The key to my 2005 Boxster S fell apart, so I put it back together again. (Circuit board and battery seemed to click into obvious places.) Now it works fine for remote locking/unlocking but won't start the car. I have another key so I'm still driving, but I want to get the first key working again. Is there any way to solve this without a long and possibly expensive drive to the dealership?

Thanks,
--- Michael
Old 09-07-2015, 04:12 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds like you may have lost the little transponder (I think that's what its called) that should be located inside the key fob shell along one side.
It is a little grey or black colored rectangular thing. Looks like its cased in a plastic shell. About 1/2" long by 1/8" by 1/8" in size if I recall correctly.
It tells the ignition switch that it is the authorized key.
How did the key fall apart? Could this little transponder piece have gotten lost?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:45 AM
M Shepanski
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spokayman -- many thanks! I rang Porsche this morning and their best advice was to take the six hour return trip to the dealership to get the key reprogrammed. Thanks to you I don't have to.

How did it fall apart? I'm not sure. All I know is that I was driving along and the whole keyring fell onto my knee. When I looked, one half of the key was in the ignition, the little chrome bit that loops onto the keyring was on the ring, and everything else was spread around the footwell. I found the other half of the shell, and the circuit board, and the battery, and I thought that must be the lot; but just now I looked for the transponder and found it very effectively camouflaged against the carpet. Put it all together again and everything works!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Success!
Love it when this forum pays off for folks.

Quick Reply: Key remote works, won't start car