Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting the service soon thingy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting the service soon thingy...

07 Cayman S. Got a msg to service in 29 days, then 28, etc. Now it say service now. I will be changing the oil and doing a thorough look at everything as a change the pressure plate. So... how do I reset this little wrench sign? Or does Stuttgart expect me to flatbed the thing to a dealer to have it shut?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:51 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by wdonovan
07 Cayman S. Got a msg to service in 29 days, then 28, etc. Now it say service now. I will be changing the oil and doing a thorough look at everything as a change the pressure plate. So... how do I reset this little wrench sign? Or does Stuttgart expect me to flatbed the thing to a dealer to have it shut?
Dealer, or an indie that has the porsche system tester (few) or a Durametrics, or someone that has a pro version of Durametrics (the basic version is limited to 3 cars and not too many people will want to use a car slot to reset your service indicator)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I do have a durametric pro; what is the parameter (and under which tab) can the service light be reset?

I use it for various things but I haven't noticed a service light rest.

TIA, CIA, etc,
Old 04-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I just did this, ufortunately I don't recall which parameter it's under. As expected, it was under something that would only make sense to a German Engineer. If you give me the parameters I could probably remember which one it was, the durameteric wasn't mine and I don't have a PC to download the software.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

If I go through every menu do you think it'll be clear to me when I see it?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 PM
il pirata
Banned

http://www.durametric.com/ServiceRem...esetVideo.aspx
Old 04-16-2015, 08:46 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Thx will keep this on file when my oil change is due in 6 months
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

THIS IS GREAT!!!

Ain't rennlist the BEST !!!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear but oh well. I guess Porsche wants to annoy you to get you back for blatantly changing your own oil. Why am I not surprised?
Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by wdonovan
Thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear but oh well. I guess Porsche wants to annoy you to get you back for blatantly changing your own oil. Why am I not surprised?
Actually, I think Porsche has implemented this to track cars which have this service indicator cleared without having the proper service done.

Then when the car is brought in for a trade, or appears on the auction block, the buyer (dealer or broker) can know the car didn't receive full service and can adjust the price accordingly or just reject the car outright.

This is not a surprise to me. What is a surprise is Porsche and the car makers have put off implementing this for as long as they have.

I expect at some point lease cars will be checked and if the servicing hasn't been up to snuff the lessee could be facing a penalty just like if he brought the car back with over the lease miles.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:07 PM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
Actually, I think Porsche has implemented this to track cars which have this service indicator cleared without having the proper service done.

Then when the car is brought in for a trade, or appears on the auction block, the buyer (dealer or broker) can know the car didn't receive full service and can adjust the price accordingly or just reject the car outright.

This is not a surprise to me. What is a surprise is Porsche and the car makers have put off implementing this for as long as they have.

I expect at some point lease cars will be checked and if the servicing hasn't been up to snuff the lessee could be facing a penalty just like if he brought the car back with over the lease miles.
Huh? That makes no sense. There is no way to track who reset the reminder. It is also ridiculous to state that nobody but Porsche is capable of changing the oil on a Porsche.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:06 PM
wdonovan
Instructor

It's a damn corkage fee. You can bring your own wine but they will charge you for it.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Have you confirmed that this is actually happening? Has anyone actually heard a dealer say "your car is worth less because you didn't service it at a dealership".

If true this could (everything is negotiable) hurt those that trade their cars in but it should have no bearing on the private sale.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Have you confirmed that this is actually happening? Has anyone actually heard a dealer say "your car is worth less because you didn't service it at a dealership".

If true this could (everything is negotiable) hurt those that trade their cars in but it should have no bearing on the private sale.
urban legend...
Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone that buys and sells cars as a hobby and does his own service, I can confirm that the average Porsche buyer doesn't give one damn about the car being serviced exclusively by a dealership. All they want to hear is "have receipts".

Quick Reply: Resetting the service soon thingy...