Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran into my dealers GM today at Festival of Speed..Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The X5d is a 2011, so not the current model. It has been OK. I don't love it or hate it. I would rather have a 5-series or A6/S6/RS6 wagon - the 3-series and A4 wagons are too small for my needs - but of course not available to us in the U.S. It feels every bit of 5,000lbs when driving around town - heavy steering, big turning radius - but it does handle surprisingly well. I got rid of the run-flats right after delivery, and it made a huge difference in noise and ride quality. My biggest complaint is how often it has needed to go to the dealer. In two years it was three different times for servicing - oil change, DEF, and brakes - as well as two times for recalls. BMW service may be free, but they will not do anything proactively. Have averaged 22MPG in mixed driving while enjoying the torque.

The 280SL is a joy. It is manual, which IMO makes all the difference in these cars. Great sounding straight six with plenty of power. Mine is very original, which is good and bad. Good because it looks good, bad because in order to make it drive the way it looks, I have had to replace a lot of original rubber in the suspension and drivetrain, and parts prices for these are very dear. But I bought it before the market went crazy, so I can't complain - although they are being stolen left and right around here, so parking it in public has become somewhat of a concern.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The X5d is a 2011, so not the current model. It has been OK. I don't love it or hate it. I would rather have a 5-series or A6/S6/RS6 wagon - the 3-series and A4 wagons are too small for my needs - but of course not available to us in the U.S. It feels every bit of 5,000lbs when driving around town - heavy steering, big turning radius - but it does handle surprisingly well. I got rid of the run-flats right after delivery, and it made a huge difference in noise and ride quality. My biggest complaint is how often it has needed to go to the dealer. In two years it was three different times for servicing - oil change, DEF, and brakes - as well as two times for recalls. BMW service may be free, but they will not do anything proactively. Have averaged 22MPG in mixed driving while enjoying the torque.
Very OT but...

We also have a 2011 X5d (wife's). About 75k miles. Generally agree with above. Our dealer does give loaners so that made the dealer servicing easier. DEF should be added at the oil change so as to avoid a separate dealer visit. Ours has been very reliable (only warranty item was the hatch rattle). I now (previously completed mid-interval oil changes) do my own oil changes and DEF adds (both are easy). Does burn through brakes - just had the fronts done (first one covered by BMW, this one we covered) by a local indy shop.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Did they take care of the hatch rattle? I have one, too...more of a creak really...and the dealer has never been able to find a permanent fix.

Quick Reply: Ran into my dealers GM today at Festival of Speed..Spyder