Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran into my dealers GM today at Festival of Speed..Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
It's a screaming value in Porsche world at 82K list…faster 0-60 than a 911 Cab GTS which list at $127K, only .1 behind the GTS coupe which list at $115K and a lot of people consider a value, and the same as 991S...and that is before you hit the curves.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's the price. I was an early adopter of the 987.2 Spyder, and thought it was a great car only lacking power and charisma from its engine, and decent brakes. Porsche has fixed that, but at a 50% premium. Just too many other choices in the $100k range.
Please give examples.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

It's the price. I was an early adopter of the 987.2 Spyder, and thought it was a great car only lacking power and charisma from its engine, and decent brakes. Porsche has fixed that, but at a 50% premium. Just too many other choices in the $100k range.
Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Please give examples.
And while your at it your math notes…$82100 is not 50% more than $61200.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 661 Posts

I also don't get the manual top to save 22 pounds. But you can get a back up camera.
And you can't open the rear trunk with the top up? Really? For pushing $100K, I want the top to go up and down with a button push.
I know I don't fit the target demographic, but I would be a whole lot more interested in a "regular" Boxster with the 3.8 available from the factory.
It does look pretty cool though.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

And while your at it your math notes…$82100 is not 50% more than $61200.
When you add proper seats to the 981 that were standard on the 987.2, it's what, 45% more? Bottom line, it's a lot for a Boxster, even a powerful one.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
And you can't open the rear trunk with the top up? Really?
Is that a fact? If so, a much more fatal flaw than the old Spyder's (brilliant) top, IMO.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
What other roadsters in this price range can we compare it to? (Not being snide, honest question)
Please give examples.
Fair questions, and here is my personal perspective.

The old Spyder was a great weekend toy. Simply amazing handling, great looking, fantastic seats, and unique. I was not looking for a convertible - not a fan of them, actually - was planning on a used 997GT3 - it was the overall package that was attractive, and price was part of that package.

So as a $90k toy, I would be comparing it to other attractive packages, new and used, hardtop and convertible. From slightly used 991GTS, F-type R, R8, to older F360, Gallardo, and collectible Porsches, to new 4C and M4, and of course the GT4. You can even buy a new AM Vantage for $90k.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

When you add proper seats to the 981 that were standard on the 987.2, it's what, 45% more? Bottom line, it's a lot for a Boxster, even a powerful one.
It's more like 42%, but you knew that…as to proper seats the market decided sports seats not buckets which is why buckets are now an option.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The old Spyder was a great weekend toy. Simply amazing handling, great looking, fantastic seats, and unique. I was not looking for a convertible - not a fan of them, actually - was planning on a used 997GT3 - it was the overall package that was attractive, and price was part of that package.

So as a $90k toy, I would be comparing it to other attractive packages, new and used, hardtop and convertible. From slightly used 991GTS, F-type R, R8, to older F360, Gallardo, and collectible Porsches, to new 4C and M4, and of course the GT4. You can even buy a new AM Vantage for $90k.
Thanks, appreciate the answer. Hadn't thought of the f type, though they are beautiful.
I guess I see the new Spyder as more useable daily with an easier top than the 987.
As easy as a $85000 GTS Boxster? Not quite but the tradeoff is the power. Gt4 is more of a just as much of a toy IMO. I don't see many people using them as a DD. (those lucky bastards who got one!)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:54 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They wont make enough Spyders to have an issue. There might be a few cars sitting for a short while. But they will all sell. And everyone who buys one will be a happy camper.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche is on a roll right now with the 991 GT3, 991 GT3 RS, Cayman GT4, Spyder, Boxster/Cayman/991 GTS, targa... It's great to be a Porsche Enthusiast right now.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
And you can't open the rear trunk with the top up? Really?
if you look at the video, you need to unhook the 2 rear winglets before you open the rear trunk .. that's all, not a huge deal.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:31 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

It's more like 42%, but you knew that…as to proper seats the market decided sports seats not buckets which is why buckets are now an option.
We are splitting hairs here ... 42% or 45% is still a lot. My number is 47%.

I've spoken to one GM. And of course "one" is not the voice of all the GMs. In general there is low to no interest for the new Spyder at his dealership. I can tell you there is no waiting list. The GT4 has stolen the show.

As to discussion of proper seats ... the market didn't decided sports were the proper seats, the dealers did. My dealer reminded me that on average most dealers got 4 allocations. The dealers were forced to spec the cars. If you recall, the Spyders sat in port for 3-4 waiting for the fix on the top. Potential customers did not have the opportunity to compare seats. So the dealers ordered most of the cars with the sofa seats.

I will have to disagree with you on why Porsche has made the buckets seats an option. My dealers thinks most buyers will be ordering the buckets this time around and Porsche is not going to give them away like on the 987.2 Spyder.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the follow up. I'll stick with the Spyder myself but I understand where you are coming from. I personally like convertibles, sedans, and station wagons so in my mind the other new cars to consider are the new AMG wagon 103k made to order and the BMW M3 62k+ (sedan). I personally really appreciate the manual soft top especially if I'm buying and not leasing which is why for me a m4 is a no go but it sure is nice. I've been waiting for a car like the spyder to come around. I've had my eye on used 987s but want to see what the new iteration was going to be and I'm pretty stoked all around. Every time I build a boxster s or gts it's ends up getting up there anyway and then I'm in 911 territory - it's criminal.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I personally like convertibles, sedans, and station wagons so in my mind the other new cars to consider are the new AMG wagon 103k made to order and the BMW M3 62k+ (sedan). I personally really appreciate the manual soft top...
Would love to dump my X5d for an E63 wagon, but the wife has her sights locked on the upcoming RRS Td6. I don't think I am going to win that one, unfortunately.

I replaced my Spyder with a another manual top car...a 280SL. A different kind of fun, but I love it, and my dog loves it even more. He wasn't allowed in the Spyder.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:59 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Great, I know this is off topic but could you share a few of your thoughts (+/-) on the x5d (I almost took a job where I would have to commute and one of my top choices was the x5d) and the 280sl (beautiful and I think a perfect car design).

Quick Reply: Ran into my dealers GM today at Festival of Speed..Spyder