Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Video on new Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Default PCA Video on new Spyder

Mostly standard info, Porsche spokes person says Euro delivery but no PTS for now.

At 5:58 or so into the video there is a good video showing the top going up and down. The rear trunk had a little wobble at a certain point, not sure I like the looks of that. The demonstrator also had a hard time getting the clips on, you would assume they practiced this before hand or? The demonstrator also left the trunk open

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-04-07/...-preview-event
Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Good info, thanks for posting the link to the PCA spotlight.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

In defense of the demonstrator (who is Paul Gregor, Club Coordinator for PCNA), I think it was only his second or third time doing it. I was told 40 seconds is the average time (still going to get wet if you don't find an underpass in a storm) by another PCNA rep.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

40 seconds is far faster than the last generation. Most average about 2.5 minutes for the 987 Spyder when installing both pieces carefully so as not to damage the paint.

Another advantage to this top is the reduced risk of causing damage to the paint.

Having said that I still love the two piece design, I think it's Porsche engineering at it's best.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
In defense of the demonstrator (who is Paul Gregor, Club Coordinator for PCNA), I think it was only his second or third time doing it. I was told 40 seconds is the average time (still going to get wet if you don't find an underpass in a storm) by another PCNA rep.
Hi Manny nice to see you still very active. Tell Paul not to worry, I just pulled the 2011 Spyder out from winter hibernation and fumbled around taking the top off and back on later after 5 months of not using it. And your right, your still going to get wet if you don't anticipate the rain coming.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:21 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very helpful video

the roof is one layer only - you can see the metal mechanism from the interior.

it's not going to be nearly as refined/quiet as a standard 981
Old 04-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Hi Manny nice to see you still very active. Tell Paul not to worry, I just pulled the 2011 Spyder out from winter hibernation and fumbled around taking the top off and back on later after 5 months of not using it. And your right, your still going to get wet if you don't anticipate the rain coming.
As for us in central Florida where the summer weather changes so quickly, and I-4 is a parking lot many hours each day, I'd like to see if I can use the nav screen to display weather radar so I know to stop before I hit a shower while parked on I-4. :-).

Either that or only drive top down in the morning when it never rains in the summer months. :-)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

They all seem to have problems snapping in the flaps ( not just this video) Pre-production cars, I'm sure once they get going they will fix this.

I really like this car but boy I am not sure if they will build a PDK version now but here is to hoping!

Quick Reply: PCA Video on new Spyder