Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with this 2011 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Congrats! I'd sure be all over the road trip rather than shipping!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Congratulations! Drive it. The weather's getting good and there's not a lot of tourist traffic yet. You will have a blast and really get to know the car.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats! Can't wait to see some more pictures and get your impressions.

As far as how to get it home, that's a tough one. If the car has a clear bra and is well protected I would drive it! If however it isn't protected I would likely pay for the shipping. But I'm a bit over the top when it comes to keeping my cars prestine so this may not apply.

If you drive it and pass through KC definitely look me up. Would be cool to meet and see the car in person.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:18 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! If you do the road trip...take it from a fellow black Spyder owner if it doesn't already have a clear bra get it done in Vegas before driving home!

Again, congrats!
Old 04-05-2015, 01:26 PM
HiroY
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys! Well, I'm back to the cold reality of Boston weather...ugh! Why oh why do I continue to live in a wintry climate? Anyway, I digress... I had a blast driving around the Vegas area before flying home last night. As promised, here are a few snapshots. The one of the dealership cracks me up since its such a far cry from Boston area dealers; Where are all the snow banks and dirty coating of road salt everywhere? ;-)

Thanks for the road trip votes; I am leaning that way but have to figure out my work schedule next. Hope you're all having a great holiday weekend!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome pictures, what a great way to get to know your new Spyder!

I lived in Boston for 7 years and finally got tired of it. KC's weather is far better and so are the roads but I still miss the SoCal mountains.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:23 PM
HiroY
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I lived in Boston for 7 years and finally got tired of it. KC's weather is far better and so are the roads but I still miss the SoCal mountains.
I think I saw a picture of your car in one of the threads here with MA plates. It looked like it may have been on the lawn at a Larz Anderson event? I am looking forward to attending those events with the Spyder now!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM
turtleracing
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The Continental Divide

Originally Posted by HiroY
Thanks everyone for all your help, feedback and support! I was able to strike a deal on this car and it is now mine! I spent the entire day at the dealership, test driving and inspecting and questioning the car. The folks at Gaudin were absolutely terrific in the entire process, allowing me to spend hours inspecting the car with my zillion line checklist (the engineer in me coming out). They also put the car up on the lift in their service bay without hesitation. Thanks to this forum, we checked the exhaust header bolts and one of them was indeed loose! Luckily none had fallen out. So definitely keep an eye on those bolts fellow Spyder owners!

I now have a new dilemma: I am actually from Boston, so how do I get her home? Ship? or fly back in a couple weeks and take a little road trip vacation? Thoughts? Enclosed shipping from the recommended shippers on this forum is pricing out to around $2K. The road trip vacation sounds intriguing. I can fly back to Vegas for free on miles and may be fun to see the cross country road like the Griswalds I am certainly no stranger to long road trips, particularly from my old Elise and S2000 days.

I hope to take some pictures of her today with some local scenery backdrops and will try to post them here when I get back home this weekend.

Thanks again everyone!
I too live in MA and spend my winters out west. Several years ago I started the drive back east in mid April from Hurricane UT not too far east of Las Vegas. Encountered a pretty severe snow storm from eastern UT to well past Denver. The altitude change along the route can change a warm sunny day in the desert to Boston like conditions of this year in a matter of several hours.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:48 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on the Spyder, I highly suggest clear corners and to paint your lug nuts black. I have the same wheels, and it made a huge difference.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Great shots!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats!! Looks great!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:53 PM
HiroY
Track Day

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Awesome! If you do the road trip...take it from a fellow black Spyder owner if it doesn't already have a clear bra get it done in Vegas before driving home!
I was thinking about using TracWrap as a temporary bra to get her home so that I can have a highly regarded local detailer/paint correction/bra installer here check the car out (Unique Car Care). Has anyone here had any experience with TracWrap?
Old 04-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it's the same product as Roadwrap I would stay away from it. I tried it once and it started pulling off and flapping in the wind about 50 miles into a drive. The bigger issue was that the flapping pieces were picking up dirt and causing mild abrasion on the paint.

Rick at Unique is awesome, he did my Spyder and the results were excellent. I'm going to need my front bumper redone at some point and I'm not sure I trust any of the local KC installers. Tell Rick I said hello when you get your install done.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 04-05-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I've got a phenomenal installer here in KC and would put his shop up against anyone in the US. Afshin, next time we get together look over my wife's BMW, that will convince you.

+1 on the road trip and stopping in KC, we will take very good care of you. I *just* got back from a trip to Boston, and even tho it wasn't snowing again, you couldn't pay me enough to make that a primary residence. It's nice in small doses and I have some great friends out there but I far prefer where I am at.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
I've got a phenomenal installer here in KC and would put his shop up against anyone in the US. Afshin, next time we get together look over my wife's BMW, that will convince you.

+1 on the road trip and stopping in KC, we will take very good care of you. I *just* got back from a trip to Boston, and even tho it wasn't snowing again, you couldn't pay me enough to make that a primary residence. It's nice in small doses and I have some great friends out there but I far prefer where I am at.
Scott shoot me a PM with the name of the installer. I have seen lots of installs around here and haven't been too impressed thus far including several Ferrari's and Lambo's.

I'm having my windshield on the Spyder covered with Clearplex tomorrow by Midwest Tint to prevent any pitting, I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry for the OT......But it does make a point regarding road debris and the damage which can be incurred even from a cross country drive

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with this 2011 Spyder?