Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Cayman R, question about paint work

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:36 PM
COChris
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a Cayman R, question about paint work

Hi guys , I'm new here and in the market for a Cayman R.

I've found one that needs a little paint work to remove a scuff from the rear bumper where it meets the wheel well. Also they are removing a small dent/ding sized blemish from another area of the car.

Should I avoid this car or will this work not really affect resale?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO, paint work on a car will almost always affect the resale value and the extent changes with the age and condition of the car.
When the car is, say 0 - 10 years old, repaints including touch-ups affect value to the extent of the paint work.
In the middle years, I don't think it has much affect. The overall condition of the paint is more important.
Then if the car is well preserved as it gets to be 20+ years old, original paint becomes a value differentiator again.
If you are considering buying the R with an eye toward future value or investment, I would steer clear of a car that is anything but pristine.
If your intention is more to enjoy the car while keeping it in good condition then I would consider a car that needs some touchup. But only if there is a couple grand discount in the price due to the damage.
That's how I think anyhow...
Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Can you post up some pictures of the scuff and dent?

A good PDR guy can remove a dent without the need for paintwork and the results will be perfect. If the dent needs paintwork that's a different story. Depends on the type of dent and location.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:27 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 347 Posts

I don't think touch up work is reported to CARFAX unless it's an insurance claim.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
COChris
Track Day

Thanks so much for the replies. The dent can be PDR'd, but not the scuff. It will need paint.

Haven't seen the car in person because it's in another state. These are from the salesman at the Porsche dealership.

But DAMN that's some serious orange peel on the factory finish. Were they using those water-based clear coats like BMW? I remember taking delivery of my E90 M3 and being shocked at the wrinkly clear finish.

Just love this one for the color, bare-bones options, and bucket seats. But don't want to fall in love with it just yet.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like mine, except for the scratches. Mine got the front resprayed by the Porsche dealer prior to delivery, c. 22' miles and front was having "pox", so many stone chips. Almost unavoidable, wouldn't worry to much. The scratch in yours (go ahead and buy it if that's all to complain about) is negligible, respray and of you go.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy it and respray. The deprecation the car has already taken already places you ahead of the curve. Modern Porsche paint with a good color correction will take care of that peel for you. Just did my Spyder which is the exact same color.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

If you want one of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made, don't let some minimal paint work dissuade you. If you want a concours example, keep looking. Most 3-4 year old cars will have some paint dings if they have actually been driven.

If the price, mileage and options are what you want - fly there and take a look. Better yet, fly there and drive it home.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:32 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy the car keep the before pictures to show that it was only a blemish and didn't have any body damage. If it was discounted I would buy since I would DD.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:09 PM
COChris
Track Day

You guys are awesome. Looks like it was sold over the weekend, but I'll hopefully be posting photos of my new R soon.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 01-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

It is hard to tell from the photos, but it might be possible to buff out the scratches to a level that would be acceptable. They would be too deep to "go away" with a buffing, but they might all but disappear.
Also, repair of modern paint systems with modern paints is far different than repair or repainting in the 80s and even 90s. Color matching is better, the sheen lasts longer, etc.
The products are better in general and the repair/repaints don't fade and oxidize like they did years ago.

On to the next one though, huh?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree that a large percentage of those scratches could be leveled out and blended to be much less visible. It wouldn't be perfect but definitely not bad either.

So this one sold, did you already find another?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

And yes Porsche paints have orange peel, all of them except maybe the 918 Spyder unfortunately.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
And yes Porsche paints have orange peel, all of them except maybe the 918 Spyder unfortunately.
In my experience the amount of orange peel seems to vary.
My '01 Carrera 4 has some and all three of my 944s did as well.
But my '06 Cayman does not really have any.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
In my experience the amount of orange peel seems to vary.
My '01 Carrera 4 has some and all three of my 944s did as well.
But my '06 Cayman does not really have any.
Same sample and same cars almost. My 2007 Cayman S had none, my 951 plenty and my 993 did.

Quick Reply: Buying a Cayman R, question about paint work